IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

?What to put in a big pot

oliver

This is my first post - been lurking for a while though. Great Forum! I live in Brownsville, Texas which is basically zone 10a. I have alot of marginal palms in the ground. I think my biggest problem is the clay soil and salty ground water. Some do well and some don't. I just bought a 40" plastic pot. (terra cotta imitation) I was thinking about putting in a trio of Chambeyronia, but would like some input on how they do in large pots. I have a couple of Christmas palms in a slightly smaller pot, and they are significantly stunted compared to ones of the same age that I put in the ground. The 40" pot is too big to fit in my greenhouse, so I can't put anything in there that won't stand the winter.

Oliver,

Chamberyonia would be a nice choice...but 3???? They do get huge and I would think it would eventually become stunted as well. Have you thought about a clustering Ptychosperma species? Let me see if I can find the photo of my Chamberyonia here on an old posting.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

How about an Areca vestiaria?  I don't know if this grows well in a pot, the experts here can commnet on this.  I just read the new thread with a couple of photos of it and this is a beautiful palm!!!

Thanks.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have an Areca vestiaria in a smaller pot and it seems to be doing quite well. I do plan on moving it into the greenhouse for the winter though. Judging by the growth rate of my Chambeyronias, I figure that they would not outgrow the pot in my lifetime.

Dear Oliver  :)

welcome to our forum and i hope all your questions will be answered by the Pro's & nursery operating memebers.

and as for the bad soil,i will recomand some soil ammendments methods since you cannot keep bigger varities in the pots or containers for too long a period ?

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Oliver,

Welcome to the Forum - glad you decided to become active! Chambeyronia is probably a good choice. Palms of Paradise Nursery here in Hilo typically plant 3 in a pot since the crown is fairly sparse, and with 3 in the same pot it gives a fuller look. Another choice might be Hyophorbe indica.

Aloha!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

welcome oliver!

i liked the areca vestiara suggestion but bo's is good,too.hyophorbe seem to be an excellent choice for

potted specimens.good luck!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I do have a bottle palm in a pot of the same size and it is doing very well, but as with the Christmas palms, it is somewhat stunted, compared to the ones that I have in the ground. I think that being somewhat stunted is good though, since I like bottle palms alot better when they are small. I think they start to look a little ugly when they get taller.  I do have a H. indica growing like crazy in a 15g pot, but I think I will try the Chambeyronias. I will try one of each - watermelon, regular form, and a hookeri.

Oliver,

Unless you want to simply have one of each from a collector's point of view, you'd get a much nicer and more concistent, and visually appealing, look if you plant 3 of the same in the same pot. And maybe get a few more pots for the others...

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Oliver, have you thought about Thrinax or Cocothrinax?They are somewhat slow growing,drought tolerant - palms in pots need alot of water.I grew up in the Valley .I know how dry and hot it can get there.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Coccothrinax sounds like a good idea.  Anything that can grow on bare limestone rock in the Florida Keys (and survive occasional saltwater flooding) must be pretty tough.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Thrinax is also a good option.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B