IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaean Pineapple palm

SailorBold

19 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Great subject title. :shaka-2::floor:

Lol..  its not as big as a canary date.. but its already 10-12 feet wide im guessing at furthest reach..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Looks like something Spongebob could live in haha. 

Good looking Jubaea. How old do you know?

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

Jubeas are massive palms that have some of the most attractive leaves of all palms.  They take a long time to grow big so they sell the juveniles in small pots:   Jubaea_chilensis_02_web.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

Jubeas are massive palms that have some of the most attractive leaves of all palms.  They take a long time to grow big so they sell the juveniles in small pots:   Jubaea_chilensis_02_web.jpg

Lol....

3 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

Looks like something Spongebob could live in haha. 

Good looking Jubaea. How old do you know?

Lol... 

Its just over 7 years in ground.. planted as a 5 gallon...to clarify.. its a jubaea/butia hybrid..  once again... I misunderstood how big palms get..  honestly... I think its going to break out of the planter its in...

post-8989-0-88744000-1408076733_thumb.jpg

post-8989-0-10499800-1409814560.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Garcia3 said:

LOVE this palm!!  A Jubaea pic is always a good way to start the day

By the way,how is yours doing in the hot Arizona desert? Mine in pots are still moving right along in full sun. Much tougher palm than people realize. Seems to take both the cold AND the heat.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210915_143649976_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

21 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Lol... 

Its just over 7 years in ground.. planted as a 5 gallon...to clarify.. its a jubaea/butia hybrid..  once again... I misunderstood how big palms get..  honestly... I think its going to break out of the planter its in...

post-8989-0-88744000-1408076733_thumb.jpg

post-8989-0-10499800-1409814560.jpg

I thought this might be a hybrid since leaf tips turn down slightly at the ends.  But the Jubaea dominant butia hybrid is a beautiful palm!  I have BxJ and (BxJ)xJ and yours just has more of the jubaea look.  Unfortunately JxB struggle more here, too wet I think.

• Like 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

@aztropic  Went into the ground this last May and has been growing like a champ.  Hard to express how happy this palm makes me!!  Really seems like being seed grown makes the difference here.  Thank you so much for making something like this available here - Phoenix, AZ.  Apologizes to @SailorBold didn't mean to hijack the thread just to provide an update.

image.png.f5a123f4345541651cbd42bb31348e24.png

• Like 5

Looks happy and healthy! I've sold about 20 of these over the years,so maybe future Phoenicians will have a few to look at someday.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210518_103751034_HDR.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2021 at 6:07 AM, sonoranfans said:

Tom, that is such an amazing photograph.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

End of season pic..  What would you say is dominant..Butia or Jubaea?

20211202_162451.jpg

20211202_162238.jpg

20211202_162438.jpg

That's tough. I'd say Jubaea dominant.

My Butia yatay x Jubaea is also Jubaea dominant but has a different look. I'll snap a picture soon. Hybrids are awesome.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dang @SailorBold your Jubutea is almost as nice as mine!

Maybe even just as nice!

Give it a few more years and it’ll go to seed.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, SailorBold said:

End of season pic..  What would you say is dominant..Butia or Jubaea?

20211202_162451.jpg

20211202_162238.jpg

20211202_162438.jpg

I’d say the palm is dominant.

• Like 2

@SailorBold beautiful palm, and phenomenal growth for 7 years in the ground from a 5 gallon!

I'd say Jubaea does appear a bit more dominant.  Do the leaf tips have the distinct Jubaea hook?  Was this a Patrick Schaefer hybrid?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 7:08 AM, Scott W said:

@SailorBold beautiful palm, and phenomenal growth for 7 years in the ground from a 5 gallon!

I'd say Jubaea does appear a bit more dominant.  Do the leaf tips have the distinct Jubaea hook?  Was this a Patrick Schaefer hybrid?

I do see some hooking but not too prevalent...  This is a Wilcox offspring.

7 hours ago, SailorBold said:

I do see some hooking but not too prevalent...  This is a Wilcox offspring.

Thanks for the follow up!  I have a Dr.  Wilcox Jubutia F3 that will go in the ground in the spring.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Sept. 10th 2023 update...

20230910_144751.jpg

Love it ! 🤙killer ovatifolia as well ! Best palm and best agave reminds me of my garden . 

• Like 2

I live in a zone 7b.

If they only knew............

I could only wish............

What a palm!

Edited by jwitt
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 6:27 PM, SailorBold said:

Sept. 10th 2023 update...

20230910_144751.jpg

Wow good example of a really diverse Palm Garden in a colder climate. I remember your Filiferas. Would you do a full garden tour showing most of the palms. You had Parajubaea and Butia as well correct? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwitt said:

I live in a zone 7b.

If they only knew............

I could only wish............

What a palm!

He lives in 7B/8A. I assume you live in a wet 7B? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

He lives in 7B/8A. I assume you live in a wet 7B? 

I live a few blocks away. I was being sarcastic, but I am in awe of this palm and several of his other plantings!

I second the request of the full garden outlay! Truly amazing!

• Like 1

Doesn't quite do the trunk justice unless you say that planter is like 20"x 20",  or something to that effect. 

Let the truth out!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 5:38 PM, SailorBold said:

What would you say is dominant..Butia or Jubaea?

Both parents are apparent but definitely leaning more Jubaea which is a win. Thanks for the update I adore this palm !! 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

On 9/12/2023 at 9:31 AM, jwitt said:

Doesn't quite do the trunk justice unless you say that planter is like 20"x 20",  or something to that effect. 

Let the truth out!

It's so much bigger than it looks in photos..  but yeah that inner diameter is 4'x4'.. not huge per se.. but I think it's gonna breakout of that eventually.. sooner than later at that..

• Like 1

I don’t know the depth of the concrete, but. It just might push that border out of the way. For Albuquerque, my home town, that palm is spectacular! Kudos Jimmy.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 9/15/2021 at 9:07 AM, sonoranfans said:

:bemused:

• Like 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

:bemused:

I doubt mine will get that thick.. but that looks more like a Jubaean carrot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SailorBold said:

It's so much bigger than it looks in photos..  but yeah that inner diameter is 4'x4'.. not huge per se.. but I think it's gonna breakout of that eventually.. sooner than later at that..

Why not take another shot with a 6' high female model to give it some scale, and a image we should all enjoy?

Hi 98˚, Lo 72˚

• Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 9:00 PM, Tom in Tucson said:

Why not take another shot with a 6' high female model to give it some scale, and a image we should all enjoy?

Hi 98˚, Lo 72˚

Lol.. here's a couple more shots from this morning..  becoming my favorite palm...

20231004_084823.jpg

20231004_084826.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 8:46 AM, sonoranfans said:

Unfortunately JxB struggle more here, too wet I think.

Jubaea like a wet season, but I think they also want a warm dry season just like their native habitat in Chile.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Banana Belt said:

Jubaea I started from seed 40 years ago.  Possibly, Oregon's largest Jubaea.IMG_0234.thumb.JPG.5f3b0e608c97ca05e29a539265b35be1.JPG

Absolutely beautiful...when did yours exhibit a self cleaning trunk?  Mine is a hybrid.. but (as far as I know and understand) with Jubaea as the seed bearer. I'm not sure if that will determine if it has a self cleaning trunk or not..as compared to Butia crossed with Jubaea.  Mine in reality is prolly still working on the trunk to form..

That is a beautiful tree you have there!