IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

cold tolarence

Zoltan

Im located in Jacksonville fl usda zone 9a , i would like to know if anyone has experience with  Kentiopsis oliviformis or D pembana in this zone?  

please let me know 

Most crownshafted palm for this area?   looking some unique not every corner type ,also maybe a bamboo which doesnt get more than 8-10 feet ,thinking right by fence for screening

Not looking for regular homedepot style palms.

Thank you ! Zoltan

Lol, don't think you need so many topics for the same questions.  Have a little patience, the forum moves a little slow at times....

I already commented in the MattyB thread about Dypsis Pembana, but to answer your question on the bamboo, I'd suggest Bambusa guangxiensis aka Chinese Dwarf Bamboo.  I just got a pot delivered mail order from Tropical Bamboo not too long ago.  It's a lower height bamboo that is supposed to be easier to trim to create a hedge like appearance.  Pictures of it look pretty promising. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you to get back to me ..I'm sorry I wasn't sure how this forums works...I litteraly just signed up last month .please show me that pic of the bamboo thank you for your help

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Thank you to get back to me ..I'm sorry I wasn't sure how this forums works...I litteraly just signed up last month .please show me that pic of the bamboo thank you for your help

I just got the bamboo, it's a 3 gallon sized pot.  Bamboo grows pretty fast, so once I figure out where I'm going to put it It should mature within 5 years.  I have eleven other bamboos in my collection now.  Best I can tell you is google it or visit Tropical Bamboo's website.  3 gallon size is like $25 plus shipping.

Thank you 

I look into as i read your message.....i didnt get no replay about the 45 gal pembana yet ,...I requested delivery but i didnt hear anything yet ...So i may just end up and get a 15 gal i can get that on my own.:Lol 

I see D lutescens here on Pulaski rd front of the church for years which is maybe a mile from my home and i read Pembana got similar hardiness so i have hope ..

Now i go to see this Bamboos 

Thank you

There are two forms of Dypsis pembana in general cultivation, one is a solitary (single-trunked) palm, the other is clustering. In your climate, I would strongly suggest that if you are going to gamble on this species, get the clustering form. When a killing freeze comes along, you will at least have a shot at the plant regrowing from the roots. If Dypsis lutescens is growing well nearby, you are no doubt in quite a warm area (at least 9b) of Jacksonville. Any Dypsis lutescens in 9a (meaning you would see 20-25F most years) would be cut to the ground most years, and would probably be killed out eventually. But that fact means you may have a chance at succeeding, at least for a good number of years, if it stays warm enough, since the hardiness of the two species is somewhat similar. Hopefully the 45-gallon plant is not setting you back too much financially, because it is still a gamble!

Kentiopsis will make it through a warm winter in the deep south (I grew a young one for a few years in Natchez, Mississippi, which is 9a)...but it will be killed outright once the bud rises above ground-level and you see a freeze with low-to-mid 20s. You are best with very hardy solitary palms (the usual candidates) or half-hardy caespitose/clustering species. Most solitary tropical palms will be killed in your climate outside of unusually warm years. I found Kerriodoxa elegans to be surprisingly hardy in 9a and it did well for years under a line of evergreen trees, recovering without issue after hard freezes down to about 20F.

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Thank you for this great info. I cant recall temp here below 25 if it was must was just few hrs but i cant recall.  The Pembanas i got about 7 gal each and has 4 trunks so those are   clustering type :-) my luck . I have also 2 Triangles for years and i have few bottles they doing great but i do protect those. 

processed.jpeg

processed (1).jpeg

processed (2).jpeg

processed (5).jpeg

processed (3).jpeg

processed (6).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've got a solitary Dypsis pembana.  It's fairly sturdy, but it doesn't care for any of the leaflets not under canopy to see frost.  For crownshaft palms, a good litmus test for solitary palms is Archontophoenix cunninghamiana.  They typically hold up to those transition 9a/9b transition temperatures between 24F-26F if they have some form of overhead protection.  Archontophoenix maxima is supposed to have some cold tolerance under similar siting.  While a more common native, some folks in your neck of the woods have had luck with Roystonea regia.  I have two Kentiopsis oliviformis here.  One is a small baby, the other is from a ~2G pot.  Neither was affected by a few weeks of below average temperatures last winter, unsurprisingly.  Judging by the reports above, you might get some good years out of one. 

Jacksonville is kind of a tough area to peg as far as what will do well for your particular area.  If you're right on the east side of the St. Johns River or near the coast, it's a little different than being west of the St. Johns.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I live just west of Jax. I am in my second year of growing a Royal in the ground. East of 301 does see warmer night lows than me, I am west of 301. East side of St Johns is another step up in nightly low temps in general. Lake City, FL is actually a cold pocket from my observations during winter nights. Royal is your best bet and lowest risk for a crown shafted palm in N. Florida. About a decade or so ago I was stationed at Mayport and it get cold, low 20’s with ice. It was 19ish where my residence is. I have about 6 royals I sprouted from seed in pots last spring. Gathered them from a Royal out in the swamps of S Florida.

• Like 1

Thank you for the idea.

I recently purchase about a 3 feet tall  Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. so hopefully that will be similar for the one you mentioned. I didnt see here below 25 and  im on the east side  from I-95  Jacksonville . If it was that cold at mayport area it must of been some really unique temp.   I got 2 large relatively large triangles here they doing well...

@Zoltan how long have you been at that house in Oceanway?  

I ask because again I lived in Daybreak Woods right off of Pulaski and New Berlin from 2003-2015 and I agree with what @D Palm said, as we had a really wicked winter about a decade or so ago and I too saw temps in the low 20s and I'm certain the airport reported temps in the upper teens.  

Regardless, as someone else said to me recently, some of them grow so fast that it's worth the risk and effort to grow something that "shouldn't grow here".  If it gets hit by a freak storm, much like Texas got this last winter, you just replant and move forward.

Happy growing!

• Like 2

well i try it with these 2 Pembana first and see the outcome. Im here since 2018 

I work at close to airport and we have Majestic palm in a protected area for over a decade its pretty nice size right by the entrance of the building .Never dies back. We never protect it but its right by the building and has an above protection also as the building cover it .

12 hours ago, Zoltan said:

202008261535_All_Of_Florida_3600_NewZones_Final.png

This is the only kinda big Majestic palm which I seen here is Jacksonville FL w/o any personal assistance to protect at winter ..This is right by Airport for over a decade noone do anyting to it.The building itself protecting it and so as from above..It's located at DoubleTree By Hilton entrance on the right side.Those Hawaiian Tii plants also from there w/o any protection for years.That Majestic palm had many times babies but been cut off..:-( 

IMG_20210915_144643104_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210915_144700843_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210915_143110420.jpg

IMG_20210915_153516653_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210915_153503849_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210915_143130747_HDR.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@Zoltan

I noticed that you had asked about Dypsis pembana and Dypsis onilahensis on this post:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/68992-what-is-this-giant-orange-bromeliad/

For Cold Hardiness Information, you can search the Freeze Damage Forums or download the Cold Hardiness Master Data spreadsheet and search for your desired species.  The spreadsheet is a lot faster since you can sort and filter it relatively easy with your favorite office suite.  There are observations in the spreadsheet for Dypsis pembana, Dypsis onilahensis, Dypsis carlsmithii, Dypsis lutescens, Kentiopsis oliviformis, and almost all species currently in cultivation.  A good rule of thumb is to filter the results for Florida and look at the temperature distribution vs. what kind of damage they took. 

If you want to see weather data for your area in 30/50/70/100 year increments, you can visit this map which plots NOAA data based on the latitude and longitude of the weather stations.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1QCS-fTHGPmghnQJ7Q1phu7gSXSD6Rtxq&ll=27.808840363977122%2C-83.79806305&z=7

It is roughly the same as the other zone map shared on the Make Your Own Zone Map! thread, but you can actually select the individual stations.  Going off of posts in other threads, your location is roughly midway between Jacksonville International Airport [KJAX] (30 Year Avg. 23.6F) and Jacksonville Craig Municipal Airport [KCRG] (30 Year Avg. 26.82F).  If you average these two numbers together, it would give you 25.21F for an average, so right at the very border of zone 9b for the last 30 years.  During this time, these two locations have experienced an absolute low of 19F and 20F respectively. 

Most folks in Central Florida that I trade palms with use the January 2010 freeze as the benchmark for what will live long-term in an area and the 1985 and 1989 freezes as benchmarks for what is bulletproof in an area.  I've attached a spreadsheet with the January 2010 data for your reference.  If that isn't enough data, you can go here and download the spreadsheets of record freeze data from the first post: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/66320-florida-freeze-and-weather-station-data/

You're welcome to use whatever metric or collection of metrics you deem appropriate.  Take a look at the data and make your decision.  I think @Scott W and @D Palm have provided information that is as localized as possible.  If you're interested in attending the First Coast Palm and Cycad Society Meeting on October 16th, 2021 - send a PM with your email and I'll get you RSVPed.  This is your best chance to talk to experts in person and learn from their experience.  You might pick up a few palms since a contingent from the Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society has RSVPed to attend as well.

202110022125_GoogleMaps_NOAA_data.jpg

202110022145_KJAX_KCRG.xlsx

• Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F