• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Rainy season in central Cape Coral, FL, commenced Friday, May 22 at 6 p.m. with rumbling thunder and the Whoosh! of a gullywasher that dropped 2" of rain in less than an hour on our parched 0.61 acre of Paradise. That is the most rain I've seen in the past 6 months as we've been in an extended drought. We have 80% chance of rain this coming week.
    • Walt
      By Walt
      I put together some video and photos I took shortly after Hurricane Irma came roaring by west of me. I finally got around to editing them all together and making a YouTube video showing the damage caused by Irma to my palms, trees, shrubs, etc. Fortunately, virtually no damage was done to my house, other than some aluminum soffit panels came loose.
      My biggest palm loss were my two Syagrus botryophora. I had both tied with ropes (anchored) in hopes that the palms wouldn't be blown over at the roots (like I've seen in photos). But the ropes didn't help as both palm's trunks were snapped in two higher up on the trunks. As you can imagine, I wasn't a happy camper when I traversed  my entire property inspecting the damage. The clean up job was monumental. It took me 4-5 months of working 3-5 hours a day cleaning all the debris up.
      Then to add insult to injury, several months after Irma, I noticed many of my slash pines starting to die. The pines, I assume from the stress Irma caused to them (breaking off many limbs) got infected with pine bark beetles. I had my palm trimmer come in with his crew and bucket truck and take down about six big slash pines, while I cut down small ones. But since then about 10 more slash pines have died, and my tree trimmer is coming back next week to take seven of them down. The other three are inaccessible in a wooded area, so they will have to rot and fall in place.
      This spring I purchased eight new species of palms. Some I planted, others are still in pots. My garden, overall, is not coming back strong. I plan to do an update video (for 2018) this October, but using a drone camera to get some aerial views of my property. Other than that, I'm well over the property damage Irma caused. That's life, that's tough!
       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrNfFrEWhdE&feature=youtu.be

• Hillizard
      By Hillizard
      It's back: El Niño expected later this year, forecasters say: https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/its-back-el-ni%C3%B1o-expected-later-this-year-forecasters-say/ar-AAyFm39
      ".... In the U.S., a strong El Niño can result in a stormy winter along the West Coast, a wet winter across the South and a warmer-than-average winter in the Pacific Northwest and northern Rocky Mountains... El Niño is a periodic natural warming of ocean water in the tropical Pacific that impacts weather in the U.S. and around the world. Globally, the climate pattern can bring dry conditions to Indonesia, the Philippines and Australia...In South America, Brazil can get drought, while Argentina may get more rain...."
    • Matthew92
      By Matthew92
      Just thought I'd create a thread for anyone who wants to share their rainfall situation this season. I had FL mainly in mind, but if anyone from the Southeast or even somewhere else wants to share that's fine too.
      I just got a strong pop up storm that wasn't weakening or only sideswiping my location (which most of them have been so far). I love it. Classic summer storm: got a little of everything: wind, lightning, about 1.3 inches of rain. I wouldn't want to live somewhere that doesn't get storms like this.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      TS Alberto is scheduled to wash out Memorial Day weekend here and so far has. The past 10 days have been exceptionally rainy here so my palms and other plants have shifted to growing overdrive. I can't work outdoors during frequent downpours. Yesterday when the rain briefly cut back to a drizzle I grabbed my camera to record the start of an explosion of growth.
      First off, photos my three Latania species:
      Lantania loddigesii (blue, left) and L. lontaroides (red, right)

Latania verschaffeltii - yellow Latan

Views of plantings on the east side of our Garden Lot

Dypsis pembana

Gaussia maya

Pritchardia remota

Foxy Lady