IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

sonoranfans

Most of my palms are pinnate palms, about 60-70% of them.  But I do have some nice fans that can play with sunlight out front.  Highly reflective palms bring another dimension to the yard, but they must see direct sun to reflect it, so no bizzies in shade don't have much light to reflect.  The reflection exaggerates movement in the wind, everything looks especially "alive" in the morning with a breeze.  When I planted out my yard starting in 2011 after the dec 2010 freezes(2 days in a row 28,29 plus heavy frost killed off many small palms in the ground less than a year), I was looking to be somewhat cold hardy out front(north).  So I planted out from left to right:  copernicia alba blue, sabal uresana, bismarckia(pre existing), copernicia baileyana, sabal causiarum(right behind bailey barely visible), and copernicia fallaensis.   Here is pic, hard to get it all in.   The only visible green ones are the royal, sabal causiarum and c. baileyana so the front is blue/grey and tends to be a bright environment, especially early and late in the day.  Those up front look much bigger(sabal uresana is actually 4' shorter than the c. fallaense on the right) but you get the sun at your back in this pic to bring out the brightness of the view.  I wish I had more land or yes that I had a 10b climate but then I cant barely handle the landscaping I do have and I came from New Jersey originally so this is plenty "tropical".  Anyone have  fan palm grouping or row they would like to share?  

FrontRise2021.JPG

• Like 16

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Fan palm ROW, sorry.  There is no way to edit the title?  Let it be "pow" then.  I guess I really do need those reading glasses....

• Like 1

Tom Blank

I thought pow was “prisoner of war” but then couldn’t see how that applied unless you stole the plants in some form of warfare. 

Your fan palms look great. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I like the title the way it is as well. I think AC/DC said that some of their best riffs were just mistakes that they left in ;-)

Very nice row though!

Very nice! Had to check where you are located and you’re right near Bradenton. I would not have thought you have gotten down below freezing there previously but what do I know. I agree about the light hitting fan palm types and did not used to be a big fan (pardon the pun) but now am.

22 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

I thought you meant 'row' as in 'argument'. Here I was all ready to throw the gloves down...☹️

The thread title was supposed to be after Megs magnificent "sabal row".  The only way I would ever throw the gloves down about a palm is if some (unauthorized by me) HOA hired tree trimmer trimmed my palms and risked bringing disease into my yard.  For that the gloves come off.:rage:

Tom Blank

8 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

The thread title was supposed to be after Megs magnificent "sabal row".  The only way I would ever throw the gloves down about a palm is if some (unauthorized by me) HOA hired tree trimmer trimmed my palms and risked bringing disease into my yard.  For that the gloves come off.:rage:

I thought mentioning the acronym 'HOA' around here got you a permanent ban on posting and a hefty fine. 

Thank you for sharing this picture of your palms!

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

9 hours ago, 96720 said:

Looked up where you live the birthday must also be a typo 

Yeah,  I generally do not give information on the internet that is useful for ID theft.  But on topic, where I am is 8 miles as the crow flies NW to tampa bay(the body of water) and about 20 miles west to the gulf.  We have had a bunch of 10b winters but that will end and at least I have the coldest spots in my yard planted out for 9b.  A big royal is 9B depending on exposure and a small one well, all of my (4) 7-15g size died at 28F.  My palms in front are all good to at least 26F or less.

Tom Blank

On 9/13/2021 at 9:19 AM, Valhallalla said:

Your palms look awesome!

Leave the thread title alone. I like it. What came to my mind when I first read it:

Slc6P0gl.jpg

Why was my first thought..

NewmarCat_2.jpg

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

1 hour ago, Valhallalla said:

Then the thread title would be "Fan Palm Meorroww"

Excuse me... did you just say meow?

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw