IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New photos of some of my palms

metalfan

It has occurred to me that I have not taken any new photos of any of my palms for a long time. And since this IS a palm sure LOL I thought I might post a few. Many of these were acquired and planted into the ground inside my greenhouse between the years 2003-2005/6. So they have had time to grow.

1. Licuala spinosa

2. My big mama Flamethrower

3. Spindle palm

4. Pelagodoxa henryana with Caryota zebrina

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

A few others

Pinanga batanensis

Marojejya insignis

Licuala ramseyi

Asterogyne martiniana

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

• Like 12

Oops goofed LOL first photo is NOT Pinanga batanensis, its Balaka microcarpa. THIS is Pinanga batenensis

IMG_0607.jpg

• Like 8

That balaka is amazing. I got one that looks like it not to long ago and it didn’t have a tag but now I am sure that it is microcarpa 

Thanks Lars!! I chose my palms (I thought) carefully back in the day. But some have tested the limit of the confined of the greenhouse (Caryota gigas, urens come to mind....notice I didn't show those disasters LOL) But the rainforest understory palms and smaller growers have been so very rewarding

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John hovancsek said:

That balaka is amazing. I got one that looks like it not to long ago and it didn’t have a tag but now I am sure that it is microcarpa 

Just be prepared for it to outlive you. This one is about 20 years old. I have read that they will stay about the size of mine as 40 year old palms. Its kind of like the Cuban Old Man Palm. So SLOWWWwww growing. Close up of one Balaka frond

IMG_0635.jpg

• Like 3

These are some newer palms that I've gotten in the past couple years, still in containers. 

Pinanga 'Blue Seed'

Pinanga disticha

Areca vestiaria Red Crownshaft

Salacca zalacca...I wanted a magnifica to replace my old magnifica I lost but could not find any for sale

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

• Like 3