IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxtail palm injured - please help

Lilli

Hi! I am new to this forum and I really hope someone can't help me. I have an 18 year old Foxtail palm in my front yard at sea level in Paia Hawaii. It was magnificent and my pride and joy.  My current tenant drilled 5 bolts holding up a basketball hoop into the front of the trunk of my palm (see pictures), obviously without permission. I am so worried that it is killing my tree and I don't know how to remove the bolts without introducing bacteria and potentially killing my tree. Attached are recent picture showing a dark streak going down the truck from the hoop. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to remove the bolts/hoop, patch the holes to prevent infection, reduce scarring, and to make sure my tree survives?  Thanks so much!

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3674b.jpg

IMG_3674c.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3679b.jpg

Do you know how long are the bolts?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

41 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Do you know how long are the bolts?

I don't know the details about the bolts, but I assume they go more than an inch into the trunk, maybe 2-3". Thanks for answering.

Well, step one is to unscrew the bolts and take down the hoop.  My first thought was to apply a local fungicide like Daconil or any copper-based one.  Let it dry out and then apply one of the tar-based trunk sealers.  Some people don't like using sealers, but to me it makes sense.  Hopefully the stains are just rust from the bolts and not Thielaviopsis.  I would use a soil drench of a systemic fungicide like Banrot, which is a mix of Thiophanate-Methyl and Etradizole.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Well, step one is to unscrew the bolts and take down the hoop.  My first thought was to apply a local fungicide like Daconil or any copper-based one.  Let it dry out and then apply one of the tar-based trunk sealers.  Some people don't like using sealers, but to me it makes sense.  Hopefully the stains are just rust from the bolts and not Thielaviopsis.  I would use a soil drench of a systemic fungicide like Banrot, which is a mix of Thiophanate-Methyl and Etradizole.

Thanks so much! I've been trying to find a good local arborist to treat the tree. Most of the tree people I've found locally seem to cut trees down more than heal them...

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

16 minutes ago, Lilli said:

Thanks so much! I've been trying to find a good local arborist to treat the tree. Most of the tree people I've found locally seem to cut trees down more than heal them...

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I would follow @Merlyn instructions to the letter.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)