Lilli

Foxtail palm injured - please help

Lilli

Hi! I am new to this forum and I really hope someone can't help me. I have an 18 year old Foxtail palm in my front yard at sea level in Paia Hawaii. It was magnificent and my pride and joy.  My current tenant drilled 5 bolts holding up a basketball hoop into the front of the trunk of my palm (see pictures), obviously without permission. I am so worried that it is killing my tree and I don't know how to remove the bolts without introducing bacteria and potentially killing my tree. Attached are recent picture showing a dark streak going down the truck from the hoop. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to remove the bolts/hoop, patch the holes to prevent infection, reduce scarring, and to make sure my tree survives?  Thanks so much!

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3674b.jpg

IMG_3674c.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3679b.jpg

GottmitAlex

Do you know how long are the bolts?

Lilli

41 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Do you know how long are the bolts?

I don't know the details about the bolts, but I assume they go more than an inch into the trunk, maybe 2-3". Thanks for answering.

Merlyn

Well, step one is to unscrew the bolts and take down the hoop.  My first thought was to apply a local fungicide like Daconil or any copper-based one.  Let it dry out and then apply one of the tar-based trunk sealers.  Some people don't like using sealers, but to me it makes sense.  Hopefully the stains are just rust from the bolts and not Thielaviopsis.  I would use a soil drench of a systemic fungicide like Banrot, which is a mix of Thiophanate-Methyl and Etradizole.

• Like 2

Lilli
15 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Well, step one is to unscrew the bolts and take down the hoop.  My first thought was to apply a local fungicide like Daconil or any copper-based one.  Let it dry out and then apply one of the tar-based trunk sealers.  Some people don't like using sealers, but to me it makes sense.  Hopefully the stains are just rust from the bolts and not Thielaviopsis.  I would use a soil drench of a systemic fungicide like Banrot, which is a mix of Thiophanate-Methyl and Etradizole.

Thanks so much! I've been trying to find a good local arborist to treat the tree. Most of the tree people I've found locally seem to cut trees down more than heal them...

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

GottmitAlex
16 minutes ago, Lilli said:

Thanks so much! I've been trying to find a good local arborist to treat the tree. Most of the tree people I've found locally seem to cut trees down more than heal them...

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I would follow @Merlyn instructions to the letter.