IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any super low light houseplant recommendations?

Keys6505

I have a fireplace mantle on an interior wall of my house that gets no direct sun.  Looking for any interesting plants that can handle very low light conditions.  I currently have a Sansevieria on the hearth which has been there for almost a year and seems fine if not getting a little stretched out.  I also dug up some random (Boston?) Fern volunteers from around the yard and stuck them on a pot but it's clear after 6 months that they aren't going to come around.  Any suggestions for unique stuff that isn't sold at Lowes or HD would be appreciated.

On a related note, does anyone know if any of the light meter apps are accurate?  I downloaded one so see how much light these plants actually get but the readings were all over the place.

20210910_093655.jpg

20210910_093707.jpg

You could try Dracaena 'limelight'. Grows in low light levels. I'm trying one in low light seem to be ok and in summer it goes outside in dabble shade.  Oh, they do grow kinda fast. 

14JanetCraigLimelight-600x694.jpg

• Like 1

Aspidistra (Cast-iron plant) can tolerate the low light and humidity you have on your hearth. Although Boston fern thrives in low light, it requires high humidity which is rarely found in houses with any kind of climate control. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:36 PM, Manalto said:

Aspidistra (Cast-iron plant) can tolerate the low light and humidity you have on your hearth. Although Boston fern thrives in low light, it requires high humidity which is rarely found in houses with any kind of climate control. 

Ah, good call.  I had been looking for a reason to buy some of the variegated/spotted ones that I had seen online!

'Okame' is a pretty one. I also like the humble heart-leaf philodendron, Philodendron hederaceum. A solid green one might be nice in combination with the variegated aspidistra; both are tough as nails.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Another good one are Calathea, they can be grown as cascading down or prune to make it more bushy. 

I know its common house plant but I still like spider plants. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

I recently listened to an episode of Bloom and Grow Radio on low light plants for the house. I can't recall what they recommended because I've been listening to one episode a day to try and catch up and I don't grow plants indoors, but you might find it helpful: Episode 71: Low Light Plants for Beginners and Advanced Plant Parents

If you like books, there is a recommended book: Grow in the Dark: How to Choose and Care for Low-Light Houseplants

• Like 3

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 9/13/2021 at 2:26 PM, Paradise Found said:

Another good one are Calathea, they can be grown as cascading down or prune to make it more bushy. 

I know its common house plant but I still like spider plants. 

Too late, I already bought a "Limelight" lol.  Hopefully the low light slows it enough so it doesn't outgrow it's spot too fast.  Thanks for the recommendation!

10 hours ago, Missi said:

I recently listened to an episode of Bloom and Grow Radio on low light plants for the house. I can't recall what they recommended because I've been listening to one episode a day to try and catch up and I don't grow plants indoors, but you might find it helpful: Episode 71: Low Light Plants for Beginners and Advanced Plant Parents

It just so happens that I have a 4 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow so I will definitely give this a listen.  Thanks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

It just so happens that I have a 4 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow so I will definitely give this a listen.  Thanks!

Have a safe drive and enjoy the podcast! They're all pretty interesting and entertaining. The palm one, though, is SUPER basic and there are a couple of generalizations that I'd love to correct them on :bummed:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: