IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

multi-tasking at dypsis deans

paulgila

Holy crap. I go from a nice Mediterranean climate garden tour to be yanked into the humid jungle of hell all within a few post.

After reading this I am glad I never visit the Palapa. :)

Dean, Your Double D's keep getting bigger and bigger. They are monsters.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

yeah,lighten up,its just a shirt.

some folks have been very critical lately about the way i dress,so i decided to have some fun with it.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(LJG @ Aug. 15 2007,21:42)

Holy crap. I go from a nice Mediterranean climate garden tour to be yanked into the humid jungle of hell all within a few post.

After reading this I am glad I never visit the Palapa. :)

Dean, Your Double D's keep getting bigger and bigger. They are monsters.

Yeah this was a cool thread.....

can we get back on topic?

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

i was actually afraid to get too close to those big

"double Ds"(dypsis decipiens)--i thought they might grab me! :D

still "warning-free."

And to think it's usually the double D's that grabbed! :D

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Paul-

I didn't think your t-shirt was too Pho King funny.  :(

I DO think you and Matt are pretty Pho King Funny!  :D

So, I guess in my best religous edict, I'm gonna hate the shirt and love the wearer. :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

All this talk of Pho King food is making me hungry!

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Here, here, Bo!  Well said.  Now someone post a picture of where he planted the PhoKing Licuala already!   :;):

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

he hasn't planted it!its in a pot under his deck & you'll have to come to his house warming party to see it!!!

still "warning-free."

Did you guys ever catch the Sofa King commercial skit on Saturday Night Live?  This thread reminded me of that one.  It was Sofa King good!  :laugh:

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

Steve,

Since you chose to dismiss my advice here and in our exchange of PMs, to just ignore the shirt, let me repeat in detail what I was trying to explain in response to your comments to me.

To think that Paul had a master plan to sneak his profound political T-shirt commentary out of the Palapa and into the main forum, in order to tweak your sensibilities, is giving him way too much credit. And to further suggest he was Machiavellian enough to use the added cover you think a thread about my garden would provide, makes him appear Karl Rovian.

However, if he did pull off this vast left wing conspiracy, just to rub you the wrong way, you took his bait, his hook, his line, and his sinker.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I guess politics and palms are like water and oil.  They just don't mix.  The tee is okay.  Steve and Paul are funny guys on this forum, and there's no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.  They should kiss and make up. :P

Dear Paul

Once again my apologies to the forum memebers,since i was the one to start this nuicence,here too !  :(

And paul iam sorry,since its becoming more and more clearer that what looks funny and good to my taste looks that our friends do not share similar opnion..i had great opnion about U.S and its democratic idologies but i feel that a cold war has began

right within our forum itself.i thought all here are of very broad

minded and take it easy type guys.but seeing tad reaction here i do not follow him.and tad can you let me know from where you get those lovely images,since those sites cover lots of topics and lots of gif's are there.what is that site_

please...i happen to like it.even william post lots of beautiful

gif's they are always self eplainantery,instead of blowing my top explaining something...here.

And for a moment let's all forget wheather we are for which side.and as most has said this thread is very nice one,but

went hay-wire...by whom ? my me...kindly excuse me for

this confusion.nowdays be may some evil planet is making a close transit to my birth star.so i see more confusion

happening in all the things that i indulge that primarly would include my activties in this forum too...

So gentle men lets broden our minds...and as for palappa

i think only non-palm related discussions should go there ?

but i see lots of palms here in this post and most of its names i don't know.and there is no adult content either.

but i see,us behaving like school kids ! grinding the same things over and over again ?

So gentleman shall be we move on to the next level !_Please.

And as Bo has pointed out that a topic is of a nice palm garden of a nice gentle-man.i fully accept that fact.so my

apologies even to Mr.Dean.even i did not wonder that it will

take an ugly turn into real polotics_Iam sorry sir.

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Going down and digging up that Palm was just a cheap ploy to get your political shot out. Remember this is an international forum. We should not be airing our family differences in front of the world.

Besides I feel sorry for old G-Dub........ya

It not his fault we voted Him.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

yeah but i didn't get the palm!matt got it! :angry:

still "warning-free."

Typical spinosa thread. You want it, you don't want it, you plant it, you dig it up. And where does it end up ? Who pho king knows.

If you knew suzie

like I know suzie

Oh, Oh, Oh what a gal

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Such a nice garden, thanks for the photos.  If any more palms are being given away, PM me!  Oh, you have to be in the family, I see.... (sigh)

Oh, and guys: just take your shirts off next time.  :P

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

(gavilan1 @ Aug. 16 2007,02:05)

Did you guys ever catch the Sofa King commercial skit on Saturday Night Live?  This thread reminded me of that one.  It was Sofa King good!  :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So why was Dean getting rid of the Licuala?  And has the B. koghiensis set any viable seed?

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

What kind of Bamboo is that? It's a clumper, right?

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Scott @ Aug. 17 2007,04:54)

What kind of Bamboo is that? It's a clumper, right?

Bambusa lakko ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The bamboo is Bambusa atroviolacea, a clumper.

And the story of the Licuala is as follows:

I bought that ten years ago as a 20 Gal. It never really got going, so about 4 years ago I planted a nice dypsis next to it intending to take it out once I was sure the dypsis was going well, and also just to see what it would do. Well for whatever reason it didn't like it where it was, and Matty needed a house warming present.

And this is the first year I have had seed on the Burretiokentia and the Hedyscepe. And the first flowers on the D. onilahensis. Maybe they just needed a major freeze to get them going.  :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

(Dypsisdean @ Aug. 17 2007,06:15)

The bamboo is Bambusa atroviolacea.

And the story of the Licuala is as follows:

I bought that ten years ago as a 20 Gal. It never really got going, so about 4 years ago I planted a nice dypsis next to it intending to take it out once I was sure the dypsis was going well, and also just to see what it would do. Well for whatever reason it didn't like it where it was, and Matty needed a house warming present.

Hi Dean, wouldn't that bamboo be "Gigantochloa atroviolacea", the Java black ?

That Licuala would need some shading at Mattys I would think.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

Yes, of course you are right. The bamboo is a Gigantochloa. I had been talking Bambusa chungii with a friend just before I posted that. Thanks for catching my error.

And it will be an interesting experiment at Matt's with the Licuala. Both my L. spinosa and L. ramsayi languished in coastal shade at my place. When I cut a tree and stared giving my L. ramsayi some sun, it came to life after 10 years of nothing. So I think these things can take more sun than is currently believed. However, full sun at Matt's is brutal in summer.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

your l.ramsayi is looking really good  now,dean.i asked it out on a date & it said yes.we're in love.

still "warning-free."

Sorry to have been away...lost my computer for a few days..

Dean...I never received any of your PM's...

If Paul has a right to bash America in an international forum, then I feel it's my right(and duty)to counter it. I'm a patriot, and a scrappy one. I make no apologies.

He went to Deans with a camera, wearing that shirt, knowing he would post pictures here...knowing it would anger people..and he had just asked me privately to stop all the bickering. I think it's disrespectful to the spirit of the forum...why do something INTENTIONALLY knowing it will cause bad feelings? Once again, maybe it was just poor people skills.....

So, no more on this subject...I'm done. And no more behind the scenes deals with libs...fool me once... :;):

BTW...still the best garden I"ve seen on the coast. Lots of my plantings were inspired by what I saw at Deans place when we had a PSSC garden tour there a few years back. Thanks for taking (some of those) pictures, Paul... :P

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Aug. 18 2007,09:58)

BTW...still the best garden I"ve seen on the coast. Lots of my plantings were inspired by what I saw at Deans place when we had a PSSC garden tour there a few years back. Thanks for taking (some of those) pictures, Paul... :P

Dear Steve  :)

i cannot understand you....are you too a liberal. :D

since your presentation was indeed.....to the point.i love the approach. :)

lots of love to you,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wal and Dean - Thanks for the Bamboo info. It might be nice to get something else to compliment the palms.

So the name seems to indicate it gets big. Real big?

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Scott @ Aug. 19 2007,06:32)

Wal and Dean - Thanks for the Bamboo info. It might be nice to get something else to compliment the palms.

So the name seems to indicate it gets big. Real big?

about 40 - 50 feet tall I think.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Aug. 18 2007,04:58)

Sorry to have been away...lost my computer for a few days..

Dean...I never received any of your PM's...

If Paul has a right to bash America in an international forum, then I feel it's my right(and duty)to counter it. I'm a patriot, and a scrappy one. I make no apologies.

He went to Deans with a camera, wearing that shirt, knowing he would post pictures here...knowing it would anger people..and he had just asked me privately to stop all the bickering. I think it's disrespectful to the spirit of the forum...why do something INTENTIONALLY knowing it will cause bad feelings? Once again, maybe it was just poor people skills.....

So, no more on this subject...I'm done. And no more behind the scenes deals with libs...fool me once... :;):

Steve,

I've been answering your PMs via email. Perhaps you missed them when you misplaced your computer.

I was trying to express that even if we assumed that Paul had a well thought out nefarious plan to sneak serious political commentary onto the main forum via a T-shirt, you played right into his hands by drawing so much attention to it. Otherwise, I think most would have just dismissed it as typical T-shirt graffiti, and just as meaningful.

When I was a kid,  the sure way to get a book on the best seller list was to get the Church to speak out against it. A book that would have otherwise sat on the shelf unnoticed, would then fly out of the store.

P.S. Let me add that since I know both of you, I can assure those who don't that you are both "good guys" that get along for the most part --- just not politically.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

(IPSPTModerator @ Aug. 18 2007,15:59)

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Aug. 18 2007,04:58)

Steve,

P.S. Let me add that since I know both of you, I can assure those who don't that you are both "good guys" that get along for the most part --- just not politically.

I too, Dean, know both these guys and have been to their homes. I would echo your sentiments.

BS Man

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I too, Dean, know both these guys and have been to their homes. I would echo your sentiments.

BS Man

You little floozy. You are like a sailor moving from port to port.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Aug. 18 2007,19:30)

BS Man

you told me you were going to visit a sick friend & now i find out you were with him!!! :angry:

:D

still "warning-free."

But....there certainly is a pattern with one certain member here. I'll leave it at that.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Aug. 18 2007,17:26)

But....there certainly is a pattern with one certain member here. I'll leave it at that.

Jeff

Yeah, I think one likes stripes, the other like polka dots?  :D

Is that the pattern you were talking about?  ???

:P

BS Man

Len,

That was great!! LOL!! :D I know, poor Bill.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Aug. 18 2007,17:34)

BS Man

Len,

That was great!! LOL!! :D I know, poor Bill.

Jeff

Hey! Their significant others were there at the same time, I'll have you know!!!   :P

• Upvote 1