IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

multi-tasking at dypsis deans

paulgila

sat aug.11 mattyb & i journeyed to dypsis deans leucadia garden.the purpose of our trek was twofold:first to give a garden tour to justin(itinerant carny & one-time jmusic employee) & his alleged brother jusitn(if that is his REAL name),& second to rip from the fecund earth one of deans prized palms,a licuala spinosa.god only knows the deep,dark secrets mattyb uncovered & threatened to unleash that led to deans surrender of this cherished specimen.lets watch the drama unfold...

100_4420.jpg

matts wife uses ALOT of bleach in the laundry,thats why he has to wear sunglasses all the time.NOT to look cool.

100_4422.jpg

100_4423.jpg

cool patterns in the emergent spear.it could've been the acid tabs...

100_4424.jpg

blue sheen.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

100_4429.jpg

me & the dypsis decipiens that ate cleveland.

100_4431.jpg

heres justin with yers truly.up till now he has never eaten a major city(that we know of).

100_4433.jpg

every once & a while i have to put a serious photo in--

but i don't have to like it!!!

100_4437.jpg

i rule.

still "warning-free."

100_4438.jpg

100_4439.jpg

dypsis OCWS.i still can't remember what that stands for.

100_4441.jpg

100_4442.jpg

still "warning-free."

Dear Paul  :)

though iam not a fan of the dypsis Sp,but i peeped in to see what my friends all upto ! :D

But what really caught my attention is the slogan in the shirt...

i like it..... :D

Paul keep it up_my buddy.

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

100_4446.jpg

b.koghiensis.

100_4447.jpg

100_4449.jpg

100_4451.jpg

h.canterburyana.

still "warning-free."

kris i hadn't even noticed that there was a slogan on my t-shirt,thanks for pointing that out, :;):

still "warning-free."

100_4452.jpg

100_4453.jpg

100_4456.jpg

if i remember correctly this is the 1st time this d.onilahensis has flowered--dean feel free to correct me if i screwed it up!hard to get a good shot of it with matt

constantly pestering me to take HIS picture!

100_4457.jpg

after all that fun there was some real WORK to do...

still "warning-free."

100_4458.jpg

digging was easy,the soil was rich & moist.

100_4459.jpg

good thing matt brought 2 shovels or i woulda had to just sit & watch HIM work! :angry:

100_4461.jpg

and now for a little "R & R".

still "warning-free."

Great shots, other than the classless, juvenile and offensive -to-half-the-people-here T-shirt.

Seems almost like you should have posted this in the Palapa....

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Great photography....let us know how the palm did after transplanation.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Yeh, that shirt is really offensive, where do I get one? Randy :laugh:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Great blow by blow commentary and pix Paulito  :D

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

What's going to happen to the L. spinosa? Do we get to see it planted somewhere? Did you just steal the thing to make an interesting thread?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

the palm is in a pot under mattyb's deck.maybe he will

post a pic of it ???

the shirt is courtesy of amvets 2nd hand shop in beautiful spring valley!(is there anything spring valley doen't have?i think not).

still "warning-free."

Hey Paul,

Where's that Pho King at?  I want to try it out.

Hmmm... can some of us bring our shovels to Dean's place too?  :P  Hehe... I want that mature Hedyscepe C.

Pho King!

LOVED ALL THE PICS, even the offensive T-shirt . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great pics.  I hope I can have a garden like that some day.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

I almost got a tat of Rosie the Riveter. I love the shirt! I wish I could find one here!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

pho king as on el cajon blvd near euclid in san diego.

i have never eaten there.matt & i stopped at the vietnamese sandwhich shop & pho king was next door.

the name was too funny to let a photo op pass by :D

still "warning-free."

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 15 2007,14:39)

pho king as on el cajon blvd near euclid in san diego.

i have never eaten there.matt & i stopped at the vietnamese sandwhich shop & pho king was next door.

the name was too funny to let a photo op pass by :D

Pho-king-ay!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

great pics and commentary.  bad t-shirt.   I think that t-shirt would look much better worn inside out.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 15 2007,10:42)

the shirt is courtesy of amvets 2nd hand shop in beautiful spring valley!(is there anything spring valley doen't have?i think not).

Hmmm. Apparently taste. :)

Looks like you guys were so pho king hungry! (OK, yes, I am sure you went through all these while you were there...)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Once again Paul - You've taken us on a great Palm Journey - a real PRA!!!

What is the palm in the top of post #3? Love those lookin' up shots!

Matt's a hard workin' palmer as usual.

That Pho King looks gooood! :D

Thanks!

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(oppalm @ Aug. 15 2007,15:04)

great pics and commentary.  bad t-shirt.   I think that t-shirt would look much better worn inside out.

i don't tell you how to dress. :P

still "warning-free."

scott that palm in post 3 was a large livistona spp.

maybe dean can give a definite id.

still "warning-free."

(oppalm @ Aug. 15 2007,15:04)

I'll take it a step further...

I think Paul would look better turned inside out.... :P

:;): paul... that was a SHIRTY thing to wear, the capri pants and skirt in balli were one thing but that shirt is very insulting, and in poor taste.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Great! That's one of the beauties I bought at Phil's earlier this spring :D

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(palmotrafficante @ Aug. 15 2007,19:11)

that shirt is very insulting, and in poor taste.

Much like Bush himself.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

up yours hillary :angry:

post-18-1187223694_thumb.gif

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Aug. 15 2007,19:11)

:;): paul... that was a SHIRTY thing to wear, the capri pants and skirt in balli were one thing but that shirt is very insulting, and in poor taste.

if you don't like the shirt then why are you still posting on this thread?no one's forcing you to be here.

some of you can sure dish it out but turn into big fat

crybabies when the joke is coming from someone else.

still "warning-free."

ahhh, so you can bash bush and its ok? but i bash satans little ho and I am a big fat crybaby?

paul now your making personal jabs at my weight?

do we really want to get personal?

cuz I can sling it just as far as you wanta go, I am not being a crybaby, I am merely voicing my opinion.

I am of the opinion that you intentionally  posted pictures of the shirt to bait and taunt people who dont share your liberal views!

Here paul have a tissue!

post-18-1187227875_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Come on you guys.

We know who hangs left, and we know who hangs right. So why do we have to re-live it everytime the subject comes up?

You're messing up a great thread about the great garden of a great guy.  :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Hey how about that h.canterburyana?  :D

How old is it?

And how was the Pho King? Matty looks like he's ready to chow down! Any food pics?

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Hey Dean,

If you don't pay attention, I have a hunch those guys will remove your garden, one palm at a time! :D

And regarding t-shirts - one of the many great things about this great country is the freedom to wear whatever t-shirt you happen to like! Why get all upset about it? Start a thread with a t-shirt with an opposing view!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Politics belongs in the Palapa.

As many who visit the Palapa know, Paul and the conservatives here (most notably me)have been going at it for good while in that forum. Sometimes things get heated.

Now to shed some light on why this T-shirt may raise some neck hair:

About a month ago, Paul PM'd me and suggested that he and I act more civil on the IPS, and do away with all the diviseness. I agreed, and everyone was getting along swell.

To me, this smacks of taunting, especially when you consider the emails he and I exchanged. He is fully aware that some people (not only me) are conservative, and would be offended and challenged by his shirt. If you look at the last pic on post #2, it's just a close up of him and the shirt.

I call:    PERSONAL FOUL...UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT...TAUNTING...15 YARDS AND LOSS OF DOWN.

Once again, HE SUGGESTED A TRUCE re this kinda stuff.

So Paul...if you weren't taunting, then your people skills are in need of attention. And one more thing, since I'm fixing you...

If so many of your posts weren't so loaded with pictures of yourself, you wouldn't have to worry about what you wear.  :D  (note smiley face)

Politics belong in the Palapa...Paul brought it to the main forum...not good

After giving this controversy some thought, and in my capacity as V.P. of the IPS I'm going to take it completely upon myself to come up with some general guidelines:

Yes, politics and political discussions definitely belong in the Palapa. And I was NOT suggesting that we get into a political t-shirt discussion here in the main Forum. I probably should have been more specific in my comment above.

That being said, anyone is free to wear whatever t-shirt he, or she, prefers when posing with a palm and having that photo posted here. Whether the t-shirt message is political or not. That in itself is NOT a reason to start a political discussion, or to begin mudslinging here (not that mudslinging is appropriate ANYWHERE on PalmTalk!). If I happen to see a photo of someone in a t-shirt with a political message that I disagree with, or don't like, or even find offensive, there's a very simple approach: dismiss it, and get over it! No need to get personal, and no need to go on the offensive. That only shows that the message really hit home (and I'm just speaking in general terms here!).

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm