Sign in to follow this  
Marius

Hypheane coriacea in Kruger Park

Marius

Some Hypheane coriacea I found growing on the bank of the Sabi River in the Kruger Park. 

8D747C01-F21B-444E-8B0F-10E8C48D96C4.jpeg

D5291975-2688-4564-9909-E9957C58C05B.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 4

ahosey01

I have the opportunity to spend some time working in SA through my company should I choose.  Once you guys get out of this covid lockdown/protocol stuff (we have none where I am) I will have to take them up on this!!

• Like 1

DG2020

Over time, this has become one of my favorite palms in the yard. Slow but steady growth. No fertilizer, No irrigation, No Problem. It’s helpful to see Habitat photos for perspective. 

824CD2F8-BFED-44FE-9120-81873262C537.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Marius
38 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

I have the opportunity to spend some time working in SA through my company should I choose.  Once you guys get out of this covid lockdown/protocol stuff (we have none where I am) I will have to take them up on this!!

You should take the opportunity. I think you’ll enjoy it. Depends where in the country you choose. The different provinces all offer a unique experience. 

• Upvote 1

Marius
38 minutes ago, DG2020 said:

Over time, this has become one of my favorite palms in the yard. Slow but steady growth. No fertilizer, No irrigation, No Problem. It’s helpful to see Habitat photos for perspective. 

Your specimen is stunning!

DG2020

Thank you! 

• Like 1

Fusca
2 hours ago, DG2020 said:

That specimen looks mature enough to set seeds, has it?  Any idea how old it is?

DG2020

Around 20 years, a mature Palm but no seeds. Just pollen as this one is a male. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TaylorPlantHunter
8 hours ago, DG2020 said:

What species is this in your yard?

DG2020

Hyphaene coriacea

WaianaeCrider

I have on planted in 2005.  It's grown quite nicely w/our changing much on the irrigation set up.  Took the second photo yesterday.  Yea lotta crap on the g round in my yard.  It will never look pretty like so many of yards you guys post.

HyphaeneCoriacea2005-07.JPG

HyphaeneCoriacea-20210909-DSCF8663.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

necturus

Steve, your cactus and succulents look great! Palm looks nice too.

Went on safari in Sabi Sands five or six years ago. Our guide kept referring to "lala palms." Problem is, they weren't lala palms (H. coriacea) but rather Phoenix reclinata. :P To be honest, I doubt I saw any Hypheane in southern Africa. The lala palms around Victoria Falls were excellent, though.

• Like 1