IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nice row of sabals in Enterprise Alabama zone 8b

Jtee

Just a few palm pics I took today here in town. I think one day I will take some pics of the variety of palms here and post. 

66870861-92DC-48AA-9C6D-5114DA40B842.jpeg

6C9AD51C-4D9F-4D8A-BEE8-8BA995E02EC4.jpegWindmill growing in full sun

2BAF3D1B-17C1-42D7-97C8-3739439E441F.jpeg

AD38AEEC-C641-4F3D-97B0-9DF3696082FE.jpeg

9C787F6F-AD0B-436C-A19C-3D47F7002BEF.jpeg

CD3237C9-E32E-45BF-B477-1579D8589907.jpeg

5E550E76-1204-4E09-AA81-0B5D728CC92F.jpeg

628C2CA0-4697-4CD1-8E36-F6928391A8FC.jpeg

Edited by Jtee
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Look great. I see Butia odorata too.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Brings back memories of driving with family as a kid to the beach. 

Love it when you get around Prattville and start seeing Spanish moss everywhere.

Good finds!

Also, this is one honky chonky butia!

image.png.118595635749d96baed878da8e739a46.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Jtee when I was at ft. Rucker in 2006 I don’t remember seeing too many palms around, super cool to see more growing. The winters don’t get too cold there, like maybe around freezing a few times a year?

12 minutes ago, teddytn said:

@Jtee when I was at ft. Rucker in 2006 I don’t remember seeing too many palms around, super cool to see more growing. The winters don’t get too cold there, like maybe around freezing a few times a year?

That isn't that far from Dothan, AL.  There were a good many Sabal palmetto there last time I went through there.  Maxwell AFB only had a few Chamaerops if I remember right from way back when.  They might have a few more now.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, teddytn said:

I’ve only lived here for 3 years now so I’m not sure what the palm situation looked like back then. I honestly don’t see many new plantings of palms.  Most are probably just at homes but there are quite a bit of palms around town. It’s not palmy but you will still see at least one on pretty much any street you go on. I am familiar with 2 palms(a windmill and pindo) that were at least 15 years old that were removed from a business recently. Sad to see that. 

30 mins east of me is Dothan and you will see many more palms there. Even their downtown has some very old established palms. 

I will drive around town some time soon and take some pics and post around town. You might recognize some. As far as freezing nights go, I’d say we get at least 20 nights or more below freezing, usually around the 28 degree mark. My neighbor has several 6-7 feet queens palms that he’s had at least the past three years I know of. They get some frond damage but look great again by summer. 

Edited by Jtee
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jtee said:

I’ve only lived here for 3 years now so I’m not sure what the palm situation looked like back then. I honestly don’t see many new plantings of palms.  Most are probably just at homes but there are quite a bit of palms around town. It’s not palmy but you will still see at least one on pretty much any street you go on. I am familiar with 2 palms(a windmill and pindo) that were at least 15 years old that were removed from a business recently. Sad to see that. 

30 mins east of me is Dothan and you will see many more palms there. Even their downtown has some very old established palms. 

I will drive around town some time soon and take some pics and post around town. You might recognize some. As far as freezing nights go, I’d say we get at least 20 nights or more below freezing, usually around the 28 degree mark. My neighbor has several 6-7 feet queens palms that he’s had at least the past three years I know of. They get some frond damage but look great again by summer. 

Come to think of it we were on lock down most of the time I was at school there, didn’t get to explore too many times off base. Def remember Daleville wasn’t much to look at lol. I’m remembering better now though, a bunch of our instructors would ride down to PCB on the weekends, can’t be far from the state line.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2021 at 5:28 PM, Jtee said:

Just a few palm pics I took today here in town. I think one day I will take some pics of the variety of palms here and post. 

66870861-92DC-48AA-9C6D-5114DA40B842.jpeg

6C9AD51C-4D9F-4D8A-BEE8-8BA995E02EC4.jpegWindmill growing in full sun

2BAF3D1B-17C1-42D7-97C8-3739439E441F.jpeg

AD38AEEC-C641-4F3D-97B0-9DF3696082FE.jpeg

9C787F6F-AD0B-436C-A19C-3D47F7002BEF.jpeg

CD3237C9-E32E-45BF-B477-1579D8589907.jpeg

5E550E76-1204-4E09-AA81-0B5D728CC92F.jpeg

628C2CA0-4697-4CD1-8E36-F6928391A8FC.jpeg

I just collected a ton of fruit off a butia palm in front of a church near me, I want to germinate some of the seeds and spread the others around.

1 hour ago, Emman said:

I just collected a ton of fruit off a butia palm in front of a church near me, I want to germinate some of the seeds and spread the others around.

Heck yeah, I spread those pindo seeds in a ditch behind my property, today I gathered some Sabal minor seeds from a big palm growing in front of a business. I always feel weird picking seeds off a busy highway with people driving by. 

3 hours ago, Jtee said:

I always feel weird picking seeds off a busy highway with people driving by. 

Don't. I guarantee you that passersby are either oblivious to your activity or assume you know what you're doing.

It's nice to see palms being appreciated in Alabama. Here in Mobile, I think they are still associated with the beach or trashy used car lots and cheap motels. Bill Finch, a garden writer who resides here, wrote a rant about it a while back:

https://www.al.com/living-press-register/2011/02/finch_palm_trees_have_long_his.html

That mentality seems to be slowly changing. There are a couple of palm growers in the area who are doing a brisk business, and the selection is gradually getting more diverse. I'll be at the Mobile Botanical Garden plant sale next weekend so I will have my radar up to see where palms fit into the scheme of things.

You probably know that you can make jelly from the fruit of the butia but just in case you didn't... hence its common name, jelly palm. An ongoing casual survey that I am conducting of those who have lived here all their lives has resulted in zero people who have ever tasted jelly made from a jelly palm. To date, nobody's even heard of it.

Sabal minor makes a beautiful understory, especially with pines or oaks. I salute you for your seed-scattering activities!

Edited by Manalto

I feel the same way sometimes when I collect seeds in a public area. People either stop and ask what I’m going to do with them or they just look and keep on going. The more I’ve collected seeds though, the more comfortable I’ve felt and just don’t care as much as I used to. I’m more worried about getting stung by yellow jackets surrounding the Pindo fruit for example haha.

Some of those Butia

On 10/12/2021 at 1:50 PM, Jtee said:

I took a few more pics today or our local palm trees here in Enterprise Alabama. Some pics were taken last week.

AE1A35ED-BD9A-4135-A433-F3EBCA43A3CB.jpeg

Great finds, wasn't expecting so many Livistona. Judging from some of those Sabals, and this large Butia, it seems like palms have been planted to some extent in the area for a good while.  

One could come to this particular area in Dothan with some shears and leave with a few different varieties of palm seeds. All within reach, could probably gather a few thousand within minutes.