IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad Identification

amh

It looks like a Phoenix Reclinata, possibly hybridized with Canariensis or something similar.  It's definitely not a cycad.  A local nursery here has some that look a lot like that, with the crazy clustering of Reclinata. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

It looks like a Phoenix Reclinata, possibly hybridized with Canariensis or something similar.  It's definitely not a cycad.  A local nursery here has some that look a lot like that, with the crazy clustering of Reclinata. 

Okay, so I'm not going crazy here; I was originally thinking suckering Phoenix, but it was listed as cycad. There is some obscured trunk in photo 2 that really looked palm.

1 hour ago, Scott W said:

Regardless it's gonna be crazy to dig without heavy equipment!  :lol::lol:

I once dug a Phoenix dactylifera with about a foot and a half of trunk, the hole was over 4 feet deep when I was done. Who ever removes this will probably need stitches and a chiropractor. :floor:

• Like 1

I always tell these dreamers ,, I will remove it for $500 .

Try getting a quote for someone to get rid of unwanted plants !!

• Upvote 2

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

6 hours ago, amh said:

I once dug a Phoenix dactylifera with about a foot and a half of trunk, the hole was over 4 feet deep when I was done. Who ever removes this will probably need stitches and a chiropractor. :floor:

The offshoots alone are awful.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:34 PM, aussiearoids said:

I always tell these dreamers ,, I will remove it for $500 .

Try getting a quote for someone to get rid of unwanted plants !!

I often have the urge to contact the people who post these adds and give them an estimate. They don't realize that you would be doing them a favor by removing an unwanted plant, not the other way around.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 11:07 AM, amh said:

I came across this ad last night and was wondering just what is this plant. Is it an overgrown sago, or something else? The leaves look awfully big for the caudex size.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/grd/d/san-antonio-huge-cycad-looks-like-palm/7374169171.html

That looks like some Phoenix sp, honestly.  Bet they just left all the suckers attached and try to trim it like a hedge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amh said:

I actually like it, a lot, but it could use a little upkeep.

Like the look Arenga engleri  better for " clumpy " palms ( nicer looking leaves as well ).. No donating blood to the Stabby Palm Goblin either if / when it needs to be trimmed, lol. 

The ad itself ( and the many clear as day mistakes in it ) is hilarious.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 7:41 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Like the look Arenga engleri  better for " clumpy " palms ( nicer looking leaves as well ).. No donating blood to the Stabby Palm Goblin either if / when it needs to be trimmed, lol. 

The ad itself ( and the many clear as day mistakes in it ) is hilarious.

I thought there might be something wrong with me when I saw it and immediately thought it was a palm.

I wonder who originally decided that it was a cycad.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, amh said:

I thought there might be something wrong with me when I saw it and immediately thought it was a palm.

I wonder who originally decided that it was a cycad.

...Moon Valley Nursery :floor:

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, amh said:

I'm unfamiliar with the nursery, is there a story?

If there isn't a Moon Valley Nursery near you,  ..Consider yourself truly blessed / lucky / un- jinxed / cursed, etc.. Lol.  Look them up ( Imagine used car salesmen, selling plants ).  Has been mentioned a few times around here :winkie:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...