IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is the most beautiful Pritchardia ?

Lowey

While the id might not be accurate, this Pritchardia I acquired as P flynnii is always at the tops of my list.  The petioles are fuzzy brown and undersides of leaves are loaded with lepidota.  Thus far it appears to be a pretty small growing palm, but time will tell.  This new leaf popped open and the adjacent Burretiokentia's inflorescence seems to be laid out on an older leaf of my Pritchardia.  It created an eye catching contrast of both color and shape that drew my camera into the scene.

20211008-BH3I5799.jpg

20211008-BH3I5801.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, that first photo is killer! That B.hapala inflorescence is alien spectacular.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2021 at 3:20 PM, quaman58 said:

Colin,

I've had a bakeri in ground for about 3 years now that has started pushing leaves like crazy. I agree, I think it's going to be a beauty as well...

Bret

On 9/10/2021 at 1:06 PM, colin Peters said:

Jeff Marcus has a few one gallon ones at floribunda, P. hardyi and marti are beautiful,

but of course my favorite is at the top of our valley. P. bakeri. 

I like my P bakeri as well.  Bret I'm guessing we got ours from the same batch.  Share a photo of your California grown P bakeri.  Colin thanks for all your work on the conservation of this species!

20220306-BH3I7064.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 5:37 PM, quaman58 said:

I have to put forth a couple honorable mentions: P. beccariana, just a wonderful, relatively speedy grower that looks as close as it can to P. pacifica. Already flowering at 6 years old..

3550FCCC-1CAF-445D-96C5-0EBC33450524.jpeg

I too am a fan of Pritchardia beccariana.  I have had to trim lower fronds off as they get damaged from fronds of my neighbor's Archontophoenix dropping on them.  Very nice specimen Bret and impressive that yours was already pushing inflo's last summer at that age and size.

20220306-BH3I7055.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have martii, maideniana, lanigera, forbesiana, napalensis, hillebrandii “blue moon”, munroi & remota. Since I’m from Hawaii I wanted to get a lot of pritchardia’s. 

• Like 1

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!