IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is the most beautiful Pritchardia ?

Lowey

Hello all, :happy:  It's been a long time since I've been on here. 

So I have a few Pritchardia's, only three species at the moment, pacifica,  schattaueri and thurstonii.  Which of the Pritchardia's is the most beautiful, outside of the 3 I have, I'd like some opinions please.  

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Depends what you’re looking for. Overall probably Viscosa but impossible to obtain currently. I really like Hardyi and Pearlmanii for smaller ones and Martii and Blue Hillibrantii for larger ones that are unique looking. Glabrata is a beautiful lower growing one too. 

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

The one that is alive.  LOL   No...maybe Blue Hillibrantii because of the color difference to most palms.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

The pics of Jeff Marcus' Pritchardia viscosa with their ghostly white petioles and leaf undersides have always stuck with me 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

This is really good question.  I really find viscosa to be the prettiest, and just happens to be the rarest.  I like the Hawaiians best, but after Viscosa I'd say martii. It's a close call. I also like minor, arecina, hardyii, and bakeri. Hard for me to find seeds of any of the hawaiians.

7 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

This is really good question.  I really find viscosa to be the prettiest, and just happens to be the rarest.  I like the Hawaiians best, but after Viscosa I'd say martii. It's a close call. I also like minor, arecina, hardyii, and bakeri. Hard for me to find seeds of any of the hawaiians.

I had martii once but lost it and I liked it the most, as a few have said viscosa is impossible to get now.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

30 minutes ago, Kailua_Krish said:

Depends what you’re looking for. Overall probably Viscosa but impossible to obtain currently. I really like Hardyi and Pearlmanii for smaller ones and Martii and Blue Hillibrantii for larger ones that are unique looking. Glabrata is a beautiful lower growing one too. 

Would love viscosa and glabrata but no one seems to have seed outside of Hawaii and those inside are not allowed to send out ha ha. 

Bruce

11 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Yes seed is impossible to get in Australia for these too sadly.

Bruce

16 minutes ago, Xenon said:

The pics of Jeff Marcus' Pritchardia viscosa with their ghostly white petioles and leaf undersides have always stuck with me 

They are truly beautiful pics, I wish we could buy plants off Jeff but Australian law forbids it and sadly he wont sell us seeds which we are allowed to import, just not plants.  

Bruce

Wow Lowey, it has been a long time! Good to see your post. I’m partial to my P. martii. Stunning palms.

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

11 hours ago, Kailua_Krish said:

Could be wrong….but I believe you may have confused the two. I believe Martii is the smaller variety (similar to Minor in size) and Hardyi is the more robust and taller. 
To answer @Lowey, my favorite is Martii. Love the coloring, size and leaf shape as compared to most. 

-dale

• Like 1

No Martii is definitely bigger (I live on the island they are native and have ready access to see them). The Kauai species all are somewhat smaller from what Ive seen.

There are good photos on Palmpedia demonstrating the size difference.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

17 minutes ago, Kailua_Krish said:

No Martii is definitely bigger (I live on the island they are native and have ready access to see them). The Kauai species all are somewhat smaller from what Ive seen.

There are good photos on Palmpedia demonstrating the size difference.

I did just read that from Palmpedia, but nearly every other website states it’s a “small to Medium” Palm with a maximum height of 20ft and also stating on average you can expect a 12ft height. Maybe they get way tall in your area but I’ve seen 3 down here in SoCal that are nearly 20yrs old and just about 10ft. Who knows. 

-dale

@Lowey good to see you again!

Hmm, I’d say Pacifica and thurstonii are the prettiest especially since they won’t grow here in California.

That said, I heartily concur with recommendations for P. martii. They’re relatively short - mine has been in ground about 10 years and still not trunking. I suspect it would like a lot more water than I give it.

P martii are really pretty with the tomentum under the leaves.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I agree with other responders. Best are glabrata and viscosa. Also martii, minor, and pearlmanii. A big beccariana is very impressive.

• Like 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

2 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Wow Tim! I have seedlings but now I can’t wait to see them grow up. A stunning photo too!

I just checked and see I have 10 neglected P. martii babies. Now I am inspired to treat them better and make sure any I don't plant, get planted by friends in Puerto Rico.

It's the rainy season so a couple can go in the ground even this size.

Maybe in 10 years one might look like Tim's?

DSCN2007.jpg

DSCN2008.jpg

• Like 4

Cindy Adair

Agree with others; martii… I’ve seen the larger viscosa at FB palms and although beautiful, martii is every bit as much so. 

• Like 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

22 hours ago, realarch said:

Wow Lowey, it has been a long time! Good to see your post. I’m partial to my P. martii. Stunning palms.

Tim

Thanks Tim, good to be back, and martii is on my list :)

• Upvote 1

Bruce

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@Lowey good to see you again!

Hmm, I’d say Pacifica and thurstonii are the prettiest especially since they won’t grow here in California.

That said, I heartily concur with recommendations for P. martii. They’re relatively short - mine has been in ground about 10 years and still not trunking. I suspect it would like a lot more water than I give it.

P martii are really pretty with the tomentum under the leaves.

Hi Dave, I saw pics of yours in another thread I think, very nice.

Bruce

8 hours ago, tinman10101 said:

wow that belongs in a photo contest tim.  thanks for posting

Now I have to find one :drool:

Bruce

I concur with P martii being right up near the top of the list. From photos and actual plants I’ve seen, they appear to be highly variable but invariably beautiful. I’m lucky to have a couple of seedlings which have done well in an unheated greenhouse this winter in Melbourne. 

Here’s a beauty at Mt Cootha Botanic Gardens in Brisbane. 

819C3F7F-E859-4E0A-8FE0-0B3DA5B5E194.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Mahalo Tin, sometimes the subject does all the work. I planted this from seed, the mother plant was growing in situ on windward Oahu. Certainly a special attachment. I’ll snap some photos of the whole palm soon. It seeds off and on, but not a particularly prolific producer. 

Thanks Cindy, be patient as they aren’t particularly fast growers. The good thing is, you get to enjoy this beautiful palm close up for many years. 

Thanks Lowey I certainly hope you can find one.

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I like the look of P.mitiaroana and have been after these for years...still trying! Also P.beccariana is one of my faves. Unfortunately Pritchardias are probably the favourite food of Cane Beetle Borer, and I lost maybe a dozen species to them two gardens ago. I only have a couple of small ones in pots now :bummed:

• Like 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

While still partial to P. Martii, I have to put forth a couple honorable mentions: P. beccariana, just a wonderful, relatively speedy grower that looks as close as it can to P. pacifica. Already flowering at 6 years old..

3550FCCC-1CAF-445D-96C5-0EBC33450524.jpeg

65BA2B7D-0588-4221-8274-4BBAC81461D1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Bret

And some sort of P. minor thing. Leafy as heck, growing briskly, with beautiful leaf undersides..

FC7879DE-3FAE-4D02-9E7B-FE306DB9E656.jpeg

E4CD2D94-98CC-4C48-B7F0-D4FEC5AB0988.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Bret

3 hours ago, quaman58 said:

While still partial to P. Martii, I have to put forth a couple honorable mentions: P. beccariana, just a wonderful, relatively speedy grower that looks as close as it can to P. pacifica. Already flowering at 6 years old..

3550FCCC-1CAF-445D-96C5-0EBC33450524.jpeg

Now that’s a good looking Pritchardia. Grown perfect too  

-dale

• Like 1

Jeff Marcus has a few one gallon ones at floribunda, P. hardyi and marti are beautiful,

but of course my favorite is at the top of our valley. P. bakeri. 

• Like 1

Colin,

I've had a bakeri in ground for about 3 years now that has started pushing leaves like crazy. I agree, I think it's going to be a beauty as well...

Bret

• Like 1

Bret

Where can one purchase a Pritchardia hillebrandii 'blue form' in the U.S.? :drool:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

2 hours ago, Missi said:

Where can one purchase a Pritchardia hillebrandii 'blue form' in the U.S.? :drool:

So, that's a good question. Years ago my neighbor purchased a "dwarf blue" hillebrandii from a local grower. It is still neither dwarf (about 20 feet tall), nor blue. I have a husky "blue moon" from Floribunda, who is as reliable as you can get on the accuracy of whatever he's selling. It is not remotely blue either. So without being a buzz-kill, I just don't know of anyone that has a palm like the ones shown from Hawaii. :(

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Throwing another Pritchardia into the mix, P. lanigera. Been fairly slow, of course moving it once didn’t help either. So far it doesn’t have any lepida, (whitish scales on the underside of the leaf), but looks happy in it’s shaded spot. Leaves are flat at this point and growing much faster since the beginning of the year. 

Tim

92922B52-6BAD-4150-AAD2-FFFC41EF8029.jpeg

• Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Another comment about the photo of the P. martii posted earlier. Besides the abundant lepida on the underside of the leaf, the super long petioles give it a distinctive look even though it gets sun for most of the day. 

Tim

849582C4-B0F6-4A98-ACC2-38BCD3BB3268.jpeg

A2163170-A455-4562-A6C1-5C22FB62CEA4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s another one, P. glabrata. Short, wide spreading, and beautiful pendant leaf tips. A nice feature or background palm that won’t become a giant. Prolific seeder as well. Bill Austin was over taking advantage of the bounty. Always good to see Bill, all we do is laugh……mostly at ourselves.

Tim

F55FE316-FC1F-4A44-AA4D-621401151DE3.jpeg

2AD362A5-A274-48D2-9483-ED6421FB6F83.jpeg

• Like 6

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii