IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Before and After

GregVirginia7

Don’t talk much about my Needle palm but it’s really grown into a nice three larger, two smaller clump of trunks...three trunks are about 12” and the other two are smaller but it’s gone from about a 3’ high by 2’ wide in-ground experiment in 2014 to a 5x 5 picture of health today...what a fantastic cold hardy palm. Aside from a bit of protection its first winter, it’s faced every winter on its own. Surprisingly, the main trunk died a couple years after planting but the suckers prospered...

First winter:

65378628-8C26-4D51-A12D-1E0A4A34DD36.thumb.jpeg.1faafe4513d15df2437e99f55fd6203a.jpeg

Somewhere in the middle:

5F9F0E34-18A0-4B04-9F66-986EED7FCCE7.thumb.jpeg.12db9e3f1e94b8ffca3c7b23c19ac914.jpeg

To present:

image.thumb.jpg.eeb8c879ce5a7a658d877c31757db2af.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.953adb289925f3d62964bd35c29e8aa8.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.721e6a43462f754ad5c18e3ddee58ee8.jpg

Anyway, sitting at the base of a slight slope, it gets a fair share of runoff and I dug some depressions around it to collect even more water...it’s good for the basjoo, too...I highly recommend Needles but keep the needles in mind where pets and children are concerned...they’re vicious...but in the right zone and situated in the right place, a reliable and dependable choice for cold hardy palm growers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

That is a healthy looking needle.  Mine is the same way and slow!!!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Totally agree. I wish this palm had been available (even heard of) when I lived in NO VA. I've tried and failed 3x growing them this far south. I think my winters are not cold enough, long enough.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

8 minutes ago, Allen said:

That is a healthy looking needle.  Mine is the same way and slow!!!

Now that I look at it, the “somewhere in the middle” pic is the mother trunk that died...everything alive today was a small sucker around that main trunk...it’s actually grown more than I thought...

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Totally agree. I wish this palm had been available (even heard of) when I lived in NO VA. I've tried and failed 3x growing them this far south. I think my winters are not cold enough, long enough.

Yes... I think you’re right about the zone in which Needles do best...they like a change of seasons, along with a lot of water and some fertilizer...no doubt you remember our NOVA climate, not-so-severe (depending) winters and long, hot, humid summers, void of much of a transitional Spring...They seem to thrive under these conditions. I have two...the larger one (pictured earlier) that grows in mostly full sun and this smaller one that grows in mostly shade below...I think this one went in-ground in 2017?? But was transplanted later to this spot...

9926152F-3356-4DFC-8B2A-B323C5A7BA0C.thumb.jpeg.6ca731c5961a5b81334607f34c6e6e50.jpeg

Both flower but have never produced seed...are Needles male and female like Trachys? I used to think the squirrels were eating the seeds but after some observation, they just don’t produce any. Anyway, the variety you folks enjoy in your zone is fantastic! We are so limited in zone-7 if our intention is to grow palms that help us avoid massive winter protection protocols but we do enjoy a zone that gives us several types of palms that, with minimal winter protection, if any at all, produces long-term and happy campers. I plan on pulling back on protection for my well established Chamaerops and Brazoria, but reserve the right to panic and cover them as necessary, but it’s time to put up or shut up...then we’ll move on from there as I have a nice, new vigorous Trachy planted and waiting to explode like the other one I planted maybe 7-years ago...We’ll see...it’ll get reasonable protection for a couple winters. Genes are everything so who knows? By the way, that Brazoria is about two feet taller and 5 fronds heavier...:D

140A63F8-F063-432C-B59A-DCA8BB1478C8.thumb.jpeg.d95d96144da93cd8ff761c403611bb63.jpeg

• Like 1

Needles are dioecious. Here in FL they can't stand sun but that makes sense. In habitat they are understory palms. They are temperate, not at all tropical, which is why they are miserable here. Too bad. I wanted to grow all native FL palms here but needles and S. etonia have resisted to the point of dying

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.