IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Heating idea

ColumbusPalm

I probably won’t do this for the upcoming winter but when I move and plant a few long term Trachy, I’m wondering if something like this would be effective during those 24+ hour cold snaps. A large perimeter of burlap to block the wind, planted near the house with mulch for soil warmth, and this heater mounted above the palm. 

The crown could stay open to avoid fungal problems with top heat which would probably dry it out a bit. Trying to think like a botanist. 

Would it be enough during some Z6b winters? 

5DABE8FC-44DC-4421-9C68-4D4DA481341F.thumb.png.07308ea21e20f5998546c46ca8da6db0.png

I just installed an IR unit like that in my greenhouse yesterday.  Same wattage.  I think it puts out too much heat for a single palm.  

• Like 1

I don't think a non enclosed heat source will work in 6b.  The palms get too big to heat with a heater in the open.   In 6b you are going to have multiple periods each winter where a Trachy needs protection.  You need to think enclosure around Dec 1st -Jan 1st as the first cold hits.

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I use a wooden box with insulation on the walls.  The palm is wrapped but open for air flow.  I use a heat lamp from lowes and it comes on under 38degrees.  This has worked great for 2 winters 6a.  My trachy is currently 7' tall so I will need to make a taller box this year.  

9DCE9584-1137-4D9D-891C-EFFAA3DAFB86.jpeg

613FDB72-0358-4FE2-9AA9-6C92535A5D2E.jpeg

24ABF20E-E52C-48F7-B795-4378D0138A3C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kbob11 said:

I use a wooden box with insulation on the walls.  The palm is wrapped but open for air flow.  I use a heat lamp from lowes and it comes on under 38degrees.  This has worked great for 2 winters 6a.  My trachy is currently 7' tall so I will need to make a taller box this year.  

9DCE9584-1137-4D9D-891C-EFFAA3DAFB86.jpeg

613FDB72-0358-4FE2-9AA9-6C92535A5D2E.jpeg

24ABF20E-E52C-48F7-B795-4378D0138A3C.jpeg

Thanks for sharing! Does it remain open in the back and the house acts as the 4th wall? Also does the heat lamp stay that close to it?

@ColumbusPalm it has 4 walls.  The door hinges open so I can check it and occasionally water.  Yes the lamp is that close but only goes comes on and off.  I would say it is only constantly on when temps are below 23f.