Sign in to follow this  
Hellbilly33

Any Nurseries that sell cold hardy palms Dfw, La, Ms, Ar??

Hellbilly33

I live In north Arkansas, and would like to drive to Dallas 6.5hrs or Texarkana, Shreveport, or Ms somewhere to a nursery that sells palms like sabal minors, of different varieties or needle palms in 3 gal or bigger.  Lowes and Home Depot around here will sell windmill palms but I’ve never seen any other cold hardy varieties. I’m wiling to drive to Dallas 6.5hrs maybe Houston 8hrs, but would like to know if there is a really great nursery in one of these towns that really has a nice selection. I’ve brought some back on vacation from gulf shores Alabama and go to Florida a lot but usually have car packed with family stuff so no room for bigger palms, or a handful of them in bigger containers.  Or maybe there is a best place to buy online? I see seedlings and I do plan to buy more and have some on the way but I’d rather buy 3 year old plus vs 1-2yr straplings, like I’ve done in the past and after 4-5yrs find out they’re palmettos not minors and now I lost 4-5 years growth in that spot in the yard. 

Chester B

You should check Ebay.  There are some sellers with decent sized minors and needles for sale regularly.

ahosey01

PlantDelights is your jam.

N8ALLRIGHT

Never been but Alligator Alley/Amazing gardens in Oklahoma City. They should be closer than Dallas, I'd seen they got hit pretty good with the polar vortex earlier this year, but worth giving them a call

• Like 1

Hellbilly33

I’ve got plants now in my car from plant delights, kinda high $$ for small seedlings but definitely will probably buy a handful of things. 

alligator alley is same distance as Dallas but it is worth giving them a call. 

Chester B
14 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Never been but Alligator Alley/Amazing gardens in Oklahoma City. They should be closer than Dallas, I'd seen they got hit pretty good with the polar vortex earlier this year, but worth giving them a call

I've never bought plants from them but have gotten seed.  I have 5 Sabal minor McCurtain and 2 Needle palms in my yard from Oklahoma seed.

palmsrgreat

If you end up coming to the DFW area let me know. I have a small cold hardy palm nursery 35 miles east of Dallas with many of the things you are looking for and more.  Feel free to PM me with any specific requests.