IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any Nurseries that sell cold hardy palms Dfw, La, Ms, Ar??

Hellbilly33

I live In north Arkansas, and would like to drive to Dallas 6.5hrs or Texarkana, Shreveport, or Ms somewhere to a nursery that sells palms like sabal minors, of different varieties or needle palms in 3 gal or bigger.  Lowes and Home Depot around here will sell windmill palms but I’ve never seen any other cold hardy varieties. I’m wiling to drive to Dallas 6.5hrs maybe Houston 8hrs, but would like to know if there is a really great nursery in one of these towns that really has a nice selection. I’ve brought some back on vacation from gulf shores Alabama and go to Florida a lot but usually have car packed with family stuff so no room for bigger palms, or a handful of them in bigger containers.  Or maybe there is a best place to buy online? I see seedlings and I do plan to buy more and have some on the way but I’d rather buy 3 year old plus vs 1-2yr straplings, like I’ve done in the past and after 4-5yrs find out they’re palmettos not minors and now I lost 4-5 years growth in that spot in the yard. 

You should check Ebay.  There are some sellers with decent sized minors and needles for sale regularly.

Never been but Alligator Alley/Amazing gardens in Oklahoma City. They should be closer than Dallas, I'd seen they got hit pretty good with the polar vortex earlier this year, but worth giving them a call

• Like 1

I’ve got plants now in my car from plant delights, kinda high $$ for small seedlings but definitely will probably buy a handful of things. 

alligator alley is same distance as Dallas but it is worth giving them a call. 

14 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Never been but Alligator Alley/Amazing gardens in Oklahoma City. They should be closer than Dallas, I'd seen they got hit pretty good with the polar vortex earlier this year, but worth giving them a call

I've never bought plants from them but have gotten seed.  I have 5 Sabal minor McCurtain and 2 Needle palms in my yard from Oklahoma seed.

If you end up coming to the DFW area let me know. I have a small cold hardy palm nursery 35 miles east of Dallas with many of the things you are looking for and more.  Feel free to PM me with any specific requests. 

• 3 months later...

What is your nursery out there? I live nea Texas Palm Trees here in east dallas. Reminds me on a drive couple years back between rockwall & Terrell I saw a new place on Hyw 34! 

It stuck out with two huge unidentified palms sticking up! Wonder what became of them after the Valentine's Freeze! 

Hellbilly, you should come on in to the big city. Off Interstate 30 & Jim Miller is TX Palmtrees and just drove by there! Tons of palms in great sizes (instant specimens)! The prices I bet can find either by calling or searching online. I even saw some chubby Phoenix (prob canariensis) b&b! I am real tempted to try as I love, but they're so goddamn prickly! Found several around town that survived this year's Valentines frigid disaster!

I don't know how well they did during the deep freeze.  When I was there last year at North Texas Cold Hardy Palms near Waco, TX they had a very good selection of well grown palms.  Nostly in liners, but that's exactly what I wanted.  Prices very reasonable, fine quality.  Not a fancy place, by any means.  But I don't care about that.  Good guys.

1 hour ago, HoustonPat said:

I don't know how well they did during the deep freeze.  When I was there last year at North Texas Cold Hardy Palms near Waco, TX they had a very good selection of well grown palms.  Nostly in liners, but that's exactly what I wanted.  Prices very reasonable, fine quality.  Not a fancy place, by any means.  But I don't care about that.  Good guys.

Welcome to PalmTalk!

I used to buy from them pretty often, but they've apparently been wiped out by the freeze. 

Several folks have expressed frustration as they already had orders in: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/68689-texas-cold-hardy-palms/

There is a vendor I deal with in Corinth, MS, but I buy from them primarily over eBay:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/69458-thefunnyfarm38834-ebay-vendor/

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 9/1/2021 at 2:32 PM, Hellbilly33 said:

Or maybe there is a best place to buy online

When in doubt check out @Phil Junglemusic.net Phil or Jesse will hook you up with just about anything your looking for. Shipping isn't cheap as they produce phyto for there palms. There website is one of the better ones to get info from

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

• 3 months later...