IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Could Rocks help me make a better microclimate?

Palmfarmer

I got fairly warm temps in the daytime in winter 25c more or less but several nights in 0c. Someone on this forum once recommended i put some rocks around my Royal palm since i was told soil tempratures at night is probably the most important for growth. I am thinking if there is truth to this I could spread black lava rocks all around my yard and some bigger rocks around the palms also to hopefully be able to make some of my palms grow in winter by raising the soil temprature at night in the winter. What you guys think? Sorry for rambling 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

I got fairly warm temps in the daytime in winter 25c more or less but several nights in 0c. Someone on this forum once recommended i put some rocks around my Royal palm since i was told soil tempratures at night is probably the most important for growth. I am thinking if there is truth to this I could spread black lava rocks all around my yard and some bigger rocks around the palms also to hopefully be able to make some of my palms grow in winter by raising the soil temprature at night in the winter. What you guys think? Sorry for rambling 

Yes technically this would work for the winter. That’s an age old trick in grape vineyards to keep the vines warm at night, stack up rocks around the base of them. Works like a solar battery 

• Like 1

In my zone 7 I like to blanket my small palm plot with frost cloth. It’s a south facing embankment in the backyard that gets soaked in the sun’s low arching afternoon position...a nice little microclimate. I do use some rocks in the landscape but several square feet of the frost cloth really absorb a lot of solar warmth. I pin it down and it stays put...if it does snow, not much in Northern Virginia, the Palm plot is the first to melt so I’ve seen the radiated storage in the ground at work quite a bit.

C00DAA3A-8452-49F4-87F4-DB6105702E9C.thumb.jpeg.493e55c6342097a7018b78d86aee9f33.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes rocks work. Been used regionally for centuries to grow cotton in a 160 day growing season.

That being said, a solid light colored granite will outperform a dark lava rock. Mass!

• Like 1