IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia Filibusta/Filifera? Fayetteville north caroline

ZPalms

I'm sure most people who view the forums have probably seen this palm pop up before and I'll be heading out to see the palm in person sometime soon but the building was torn down and thankfully they didn't remove the palms, but the filibusta/filifera will be really taking the test of winter this year without that extra heat from the side wall! It's free standing now and I'm nervous for it but I hope it makes it! Just thought I'd give an update on it since I think it's the biggest I think in Fayetteville unless somebody is hiding more somewhere else B)

I'm also glad they didn't remove any of the sabals because that would be a such a crime because of how slow they grow and also since I can't tell from google sky view if they removed the butia but that blob surely might be the butia but I'll take pictures of all of them as soon as I get out there! I'm crossing my fingers! :blush2:

Screenshot (66).png

Screenshot (65).png

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 13

I think technically that would be a RobustaxFilifera... looks great!  Would love to see some pics..

Here is a Filifera x Robusta..   I dont really take care of it anymore.. sadly it needs more water.. 

20210831_223434.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

5 hours ago, SailorBold said:

I think technically that would be a RobustaxFilifera... looks great!  Would love to see some pics..

Here is a Filifera x Robusta..   I dont really take care of it anymore.. sadly it needs more water.. 

20210831_223434.jpg

It looks awesome! it looks very compact and the trunk is very thick! It might just be me but those dead fronds would make cute pot filler decoration :floor: but you should give it some water and TLC because it looks very cute! It looks very healthy though! :wub:

Edited by ZPalms

Nice palms there Z . I hope that whatever new construction that happens there , that they don't bulldoze those over . It would be good if you could find the land owner and talk to him about them . 

Nice find ,

Will

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

Nice palms there Z . I hope that whatever new construction that happens there , that they don't bulldoze those over . It would be good if you could find the land owner and talk to him about them . 

Nice find ,

Will

Very true! I really hope whatever is built incorporates them into their design! If I did talk to the owner of the land I wouldn't know what to say :floor2: I'm gonna look around and see what I can find to see if they have any plans for the tree.

It's gonna be a minute before I can get out there, My friend caught covid so I gotta wait for her to get better since we were gonna go out there together and look :mellow:

• 3 months later...

Still haven't been able to get out there but google street view updated and you can see the building has been demolished in streetview now but the washie has put out seed which is crazy to me cause I rarely ever see anything about seeding washies in my area and I'm dying to get some of them if they are still their but wouldn't it be crazy if the seeds survive after the winter and start sprouting naturally lol.

I really hope the tree itself makes it through the rest of this winter without that wall to exchange the heat it just needs to get march and another year cleared B)

Screenshot (198).png

Screenshot (197).png

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Still haven't been able to get out there but google street view updated and you can see the building has been demolished in streetview now but the washie has put out seed which is crazy to me cause I rarely ever see anything about seeding washies in my area and I'm dying to get some of them if they are still their but wouldn't it be crazy if the seeds survive after the winter and start sprouting naturally lol.

I really hope the tree itself makes it through the rest of this winter without that wall to exchange the heat it just needs to get march and another year cleared B)

Screenshot (198).png

Screenshot (197).png

I'd be more concerned about developers cutting this beauty down, as well as the rest...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

I'd be more concerned about developers cutting this beauty down, as well as the rest...

2 hours ago, Sudgary said:

^^ Best collect the seeds you can. Chances are it's coming down, cheaper for developers.

I'm hoping whoever buys the lot will take the trees into their design cause it would be such a shame to get rid of the luxury of having established palms for curb appeal, I'm gonna try my best to get out their tomorrow and get some seeds hopefully!!

Do washies self seed? or do they require another washie for pollenating? Cause I actually don't know 

If I knew what to do I would love to protect these trees and tell somebody cause I'm sure somebody who looks at these trees would think their all the same when the washie is something you won't see normally in town

2 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I'm hoping whoever buys the lot will take the trees into their design cause it would be such a shame to get rid of the luxury of having established palms for curb appeal, I'm gonna try my best to get out their tomorrow and get some seeds hopefully!!

Do washies self seed? or do they require another washie for pollenating? Cause I actually don't know 

If I knew what to do I would love to protect these trees and tell somebody cause I'm sure somebody who looks at these trees would think their all the same when the washie is something you won't see normally in town

Yes they do self seed.  I agree, its worth protecting this one especially considering how large and robust this washy is, and the sabals of course are also well established basically bulletproof and add to the curb appeal.  take photos, maybe theres some volunteers around!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Yes they do self seed.  I agree, its worth protecting this one especially considering how large and robust this washy is, and the sabals of course are also well established basically bulletproof and add to the curb appeal.  take photos, maybe theres some volunteers around!

I should print some labels and stick them all over the tree so if anyone whos looking at the lot see them and maybe they will get the hint, I'll be taking a lot of photos to get as much as I can and will try and collect as many seeds as I possible with a dust pan, I'm probably gonna look crazy to people passing by but whatever!!! :floor:

If their are volunteers should I dig them up and repot them? I have a feeling if whoever does decide to leave the trees they will probably maintain the grounds and weed wack them all :unsure:

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 5:00 PM, ZPalms said:

I should print some labels and stick them all over the tree so if anyone whos looking at the lot see them and maybe they will get the hint, I'll be taking a lot of photos to get as much as I can and will try and collect as many seeds as I possible with a dust pan, I'm probably gonna look crazy to people passing by but whatever!!! :floor:

If their are volunteers should I dig them up and repot them? I have a feeling if whoever does decide to leave the trees they will probably maintain the grounds and weed wack them all :unsure:

I would, though do it carefully as to not damage roots, if the urge comes forth, don't even try the sabals, low chance they survive transplant when young.  Making a label is smart, cover it with clear tape perhaps so it doesn't deteriorate quick.... You are doing a good deed!

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 1

I went out there and got some good pictures of everything, all the palms seem healthy and I feel confident the washie may have the perfect amount of robusta and filifera in it to hopefully hold out during our winters and it's been pretty cold these past couple of nights.

I was able to collect over a pound of seeds so if anyone is in the fayetteville and you want to get some washie seeds, definitely go and and get some!

Theirs volunteers everywhere from the washie and sabals, I'm unsure if the butia put out anything at one point but it also looks great and the sagos are just massive!!!

I may go back out their this weekend to collect a bit more but to also grab some handfuls and distribute sabal and washie seeds in areas that should go untouched so they can grow hopefully on their own and be amazing!

IMG-9949.thumb.jpg.58ec679f6e5c8ba62f60866e3ce6f169.jpg

IMG-9962.jpg

IMG-9981.jpg

IMG-9982.jpg

IMG-9983.jpg

IMG-9980.jpg

IMG-9984.jpg

IMG-9988.jpg

IMG-9989.jpg

IMG-9985.jpg

IMG-9986.jpg

IMG-9987.jpg

IMG-9963.jpg

IMG-9959.jpg

IMG-9961.jpg

IMG-9956.jpg

IMG-9958.jpg

IMG-9955.jpg

IMG-9946.jpg

IMG-9947.jpg

IMG-9945.jpg

IMG-9943.jpg

IMG-9944.jpg

IMG-9960.jpg

IMG-9957.jpg

IMG-9951.jpg

IMG-9952.jpg

IMG-9953.jpg

IMG-9950.jpg

IMG-9942.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 13

Short video, I don't know why I recorded so quickly but you can pause to get a look at everything also put it in full screen to actually see I don't know why it's stretched in the thumbnail

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On 1/13/2022 at 11:16 PM, ZPalms said:

Short video, I don't know why I recorded so quickly but you can pause to get a look at everything also put it in full screen to actually see I don't know why it's stretched in the thumbnail

Great photos, amazing how many volunteers there are there, those washies will sprout up quick.  Not sure if you have a Facebook but the NAPA group have talked about this palm before, and would probably love to see these photos https://www.facebook.com/groups/42645914805 Also the Southeastern palms and subtropicals group where Gary Hollar posts often https://www.facebook.com/groups/695612837190143

• Like 1

Great pics! It would be nice to have those palms saved by the developer / builder. To attain that size proves they are hardy palms. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/18/2022 at 5:00 PM, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Great photos, amazing how many volunteers there are there, those washies will sprout up quick.  Not sure if you have a Facebook but the NAPA group have talked about this palm before, and would probably love to see these photos https://www.facebook.com/groups/42645914805 Also the Southeastern palms and subtropicals group where Gary Hollar posts often https://www.facebook.com/groups/695612837190143

Oh I'll definitely share these with them if they weren't already shown to the groups! thanks!!

15 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Great pics! It would be nice to have those palms saved by the developer / builder. To attain that size proves they are hardy palms. 

I'm trying to think of ways to get protection on the trees, I can't imagine their just gonna go by word of mouth and tell me the trees won't come down so I'm unsure what to do but the washie and the sabals, butia and sagos should all be preserved and allowed to remain their if not remain but moved

On 1/13/2022 at 11:06 PM, ZPalms said:

I went out there and got some good pictures of everything, all the palms seem healthy and I feel confident the washie may have the perfect amount of robusta and filifera in it to hopefully hold out during our winters and it's been pretty cold these past couple of nights.

I was able to collect over a pound of seeds so if anyone is in the fayetteville and you want to get some washie seeds, definitely go and and get some!

Theirs volunteers everywhere from the washie and sabals, I'm unsure if the butia put out anything at one point but it also looks great and the sagos are just massive!!!

I may go back out their this weekend to collect a bit more but to also grab some handfuls and distribute sabal and washie seeds in areas that should go untouched so they can grow hopefully on their own and be amazing!

IMG-9949.thumb.jpg.58ec679f6e5c8ba62f60866e3ce6f169.jpg

IMG-9962.jpg

IMG-9981.jpg

IMG-9982.jpg

IMG-9983.jpg

IMG-9980.jpg

IMG-9984.jpg

IMG-9988.jpg

IMG-9989.jpg

IMG-9985.jpg

IMG-9986.jpg

IMG-9987.jpg

IMG-9963.jpg

IMG-9959.jpg

IMG-9961.jpg

IMG-9956.jpg

IMG-9958.jpg

IMG-9955.jpg

IMG-9946.jpg

IMG-9947.jpg

IMG-9945.jpg

IMG-9943.jpg

IMG-9944.jpg

IMG-9960.jpg

IMG-9957.jpg

IMG-9951.jpg

IMG-9952.jpg

IMG-9953.jpg

IMG-9950.jpg

IMG-9942.jpg

I live in Raleigh but my mom lives in Fayetteville so I pass this area every once in a while. The seeds look like they're really high up. How did you get to them? I'd like to ride by and collect some myself. If this tree can survive long term in Fayetteville, especially as exposed as it is without that building behind it, I might be able to get one to survive in Raleigh for a few years, in the right microclimate. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, knikfar said:

I live in Raleigh but my mom lives in Fayetteville so I pass this area every once in a while. The seeds look like they're really high up. How did you get to them? I'd like to ride by and collect some myself. If this tree can survive long term in Fayetteville, especially as exposed as it is without that building behind it, I might be able to get one to survive in Raleigh for a few years, in the right microclimate. 

I scrapped a lot off the ground and side walk, Theirs no possible way to get to the stalks without a giant ladder cause it's really really tall and I'm hoping it makes it these couple of weeks cause now we are getting into deep winter and the nights go into the 20s and I did see the temp say 18F but the prediction went up B)

Totally recommend going and getting seeds cause theirs thousands!!! even if you want sabal seeds those are around the sabals

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I scrapped a lot off the ground and side walk, Theirs no possible way to get to the stalks without a giant ladder cause it's really really tall and I'm hoping it makes it these couple of weeks cause now we are getting into deep winter and the nights go into the 20s and I did see the temp say 18F but the prediction went up B)

Totally recommend going and getting seeds cause theirs thousands!!! even if you want sabal seeds those are around the sabals

I have more baby sabals than I know what to do with :)  But I'll definitely collect washy seeds. 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 4:15 PM, knikfar said:

I have more baby sabals than I know what to do with :)  But I'll definitely collect washy seeds. 

Did you drive out to Fayetteville to collect the Washingtonia seeds? How far of a drive would that be for ya?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Did you drive out to Fayetteville to collect the Washingtonia seeds? How far of a drive would that be for ya?

I'm going down in early February. My mom lives there and I'll be spending the day with her anyway. It's about an hour and 10 minute drive. 

• Like 3

I went out today to check the tree after all the freezing rain and snow and we even got below freezing for a couple hours and a low of 16F and the washie survived unscathed!

also of course the Sabals and butia were fine and the sago didn’t have any burn

1F726EC3-ED09-4823-8F65-57B70B724063.jpeg

32277C1E-43F6-47EB-9544-FF4AC9C8E85C.jpeg

7E98C018-65D7-463E-BE2A-D6371510B0FC.jpeg

D2252CE3-3922-4561-84DE-7F5639AD5000.jpeg

950B2B80-CA4C-4329-A926-671C74E5423C.jpeg

94BC014B-DFE8-479B-98BE-0EC6D416F616.jpeg

87DD09F0-0A66-49B6-BE83-F22BEBBE5EDB.jpeg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you soo much ZPalms for being so generous to send me some of the seeds from this palm! I really appreciate it!

Even this Washingtonia is cut down / removed in the future, at least due to your efforts, there will still be plenty of offspring to carry on and continue it's ,cold hardy genetic legacy!

TIc93W.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2022 at 8:33 PM, Nomad NYC said:

Thank you soo much ZPalms for being so generous to send me some of the seeds from this palm! I really appreciate it!

Even this Washingtonia is cut down / removed in the future, at least due to your efforts, there will still be plenty of offspring to carry on and continue it's ,cold hardy genetic legacy!

TIc93W.jpg

What seed sprouting method is this? Is this just seed starter mix in a baggy?

Edited by ZPalms

I'm maybe going to see this tree again this Tuesday to see how it's doing and how much growth it's done, including the volunteers. B)

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I'm maybe going to see this tree again this Tuesday to see how it's doing and how much growth it's done, including the volunteers. B)

Grab me some seeds too please!

• Like 3

Lucas

2 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

Grab me some seeds too please!

I'll see what I can do, I do have some left in my seed bin I should probably check for palm seed weevile :indifferent:

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 1:08 AM, ZPalms said:

What seed sprouting method is this? Is this just seed starter mix in a baggy?

I just used the regular "baggy" method of sowing seeds , using a mix of perlite and peat moss.

• Like 1

I've been so successful in germinating these hardy Filibustas, I have so many of these seedlings, now, I have to currently use the "Red Cup" option used by James Palms...

Kw1OpO.jpg

I've also lost a dozen since moving them to the cups ( most likely due to transplant shock ) but so far, they look to be doing good.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nomad NYC said:

I've been so successful in germinating these hardy Filibustas, I have so many of these seedlings, now, I have to currently use the "Red Cup" option used by James Palms...

Kw1OpO.jpg

I've also lost a dozen since moving them to the cups ( most likely due to transplant shock ) but so far, they look to be doing good.

Amazing to see so many seeds I pulled off the ground sprout around the country, amazing stuff!! they look great and I hope they continue to do well for you! :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Went out today and got some more photos and a video and theirs new growth and looks like winter weeded out the weak seedlings that weren’t under the tree completely but some that weren’t under the tree got killed back down but looks like they came back, everything looks great! :greenthumb:

E900F5ED-FC16-4FB4-9870-4929977963D4.jpeg

4E8D6D6C-F5C8-4068-AC41-C2BBAC4E4520.jpeg

8666FAB9-B9D3-48E0-AFEA-B76BA3439B8A.jpeg

D397499E-AAD0-4E1B-AC3A-7060C66E419C.jpeg

B70B4CB8-FD6F-461D-90C3-AAFDF33168D9.jpeg

8514F102-9A69-4645-B99A-2FFE47A98B7F.jpeg

E3767363-B55B-4E4D-8CAF-45954F7B9968.jpeg

DB56FC5E-B05E-48DC-80E7-EF30571E5E71.jpeg

B1D44DCE-3350-4A15-80FE-E13A94B045A0.jpeg

715BC109-2E96-49A1-96EF-EB47C02F5B06.jpeg

22318BA4-7CA1-486B-A259-D6EDEBC580BB.jpeg

933FFCE4-99E7-4D1C-91C1-EDE8AA490B37.jpeg

3AA6CD9F-3BFF-4BDF-86CB-4C8654E830E4.jpeg

48F7D2DD-3FC1-4155-AAAF-5050392978F0.jpeg

822EEC5B-DF89-4CB3-A07A-A734A5B28209.jpeg

9471295B-9DB6-4FD9-B800-7C72CD95C623.jpeg

7BC1A5FB-F7E4-4DC4-BB04-AA5A03EAF65F.jpeg

BCAFE6FE-9912-49C1-AF47-A4B568C1A9F6.jpeg

87C36D2B-0322-4917-8D8C-4F48DB3BCD60.jpeg

0F5F2C0F-945E-4ED5-93A2-BE4FD4852563.jpeg

1E51F645-5623-4B07-AD92-905512D6C633.jpeg

AF04665C-0E28-4171-9C8E-07BCE1B89102.jpeg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Went out today and got some more photos and a video and theirs new growth and looks like winter weeded out the weak seedlings that weren’t under the tree completely but some that weren’t under the tree got killed back down but looks like they came back, everything looks great! :greenthumb:

E900F5ED-FC16-4FB4-9870-4929977963D4.jpeg

4E8D6D6C-F5C8-4068-AC41-C2BBAC4E4520.jpeg

8666FAB9-B9D3-48E0-AFEA-B76BA3439B8A.jpeg

D397499E-AAD0-4E1B-AC3A-7060C66E419C.jpeg

B70B4CB8-FD6F-461D-90C3-AAFDF33168D9.jpeg

8514F102-9A69-4645-B99A-2FFE47A98B7F.jpeg

E3767363-B55B-4E4D-8CAF-45954F7B9968.jpeg

DB56FC5E-B05E-48DC-80E7-EF30571E5E71.jpeg

B1D44DCE-3350-4A15-80FE-E13A94B045A0.jpeg

715BC109-2E96-49A1-96EF-EB47C02F5B06.jpeg

22318BA4-7CA1-486B-A259-D6EDEBC580BB.jpeg

933FFCE4-99E7-4D1C-91C1-EDE8AA490B37.jpeg

3AA6CD9F-3BFF-4BDF-86CB-4C8654E830E4.jpeg

48F7D2DD-3FC1-4155-AAAF-5050392978F0.jpeg

822EEC5B-DF89-4CB3-A07A-A734A5B28209.jpeg

9471295B-9DB6-4FD9-B800-7C72CD95C623.jpeg

7BC1A5FB-F7E4-4DC4-BB04-AA5A03EAF65F.jpeg

BCAFE6FE-9912-49C1-AF47-A4B568C1A9F6.jpeg

87C36D2B-0322-4917-8D8C-4F48DB3BCD60.jpeg

0F5F2C0F-945E-4ED5-93A2-BE4FD4852563.jpeg

1E51F645-5623-4B07-AD92-905512D6C633.jpeg

AF04665C-0E28-4171-9C8E-07BCE1B89102.jpeg

Pictures really just don't do this palm justice. It's impossible to tell how large it really is. From the pictures, I thought I'd be able to use my tree trimming pole to cut down fresh seeds. When I arrived, there was no hope of doing that. So I just collected seeds from the ground. I took pictures from every angle I could but still, no way to really tell how tall it is until you see it in person. I'm really happy you've taken such an interest in this one. With our efforts combined, we should be spreading its seed far and wide. :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, knikfar said:

Pictures really just don't do this palm justice. It's impossible to tell how large it really is. From the pictures, I thought I'd be able to use my tree trimming pole to cut down fresh seeds. When I arrived, there was no hope of doing that. So I just collected seeds from the ground. I took pictures from every angle I could but still, no way to really tell how tall it is until you see it in person. I'm really happy you've taken such an interest in this one. With our efforts combined, we should be spreading its seed far and wide. :)

That’s so true, when I saw it had seed I thought I could possibly climb it but it’s sooo tall. I wish I could just mail the seeds in the mailbox because going to the post office sucks :floor:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I wish I could just mail the seeds in the mailbox because going to the post office sucks

I bought a book of 2 ounce stamps from the Post Office (book of 20 stamps).  I use those to mail germinated seeds all over the country (lower 48 anyway) right from my own mailbox.  I use 6" X 9" bubble mailers that I get from The Dollar Store, and all weight less than 2 ounces with the seeds, zip-lock baggie, and wet sphagnum moss (to keep the roots moist).

• Like 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

On 6/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, GoatLockerGuns said:

I bought a book of 2 ounce stamps from the Post Office (book of 20 stamps).  I use those to mail germinated seeds all over the country (lower 48 anyway) right from my own mailbox.  I use 6" X 9" bubble mailers that I get from The Dollar Store, and all weight less than 2 ounces with the seeds, zip-lock baggie, and wet sphagnum moss (to keep the roots moist).

Thanks for the tip! I'll be doing this to send seeds out because this is more convient for me! :o

2 hours ago, DTS1 said:

too bad i live in michigan so i cant get seeds :(

I can send seeds but I have a bunch of nasty palm weevils who are going nuts in my seed bin so I'll have to collect more because I have no idea how many seeds they have destroyed :indifferent: