IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When to plant Washy Filifera in zone 7b?

knikfar

I just recieved four baby Washy Filifera's. Each is between 5 and 6 inches tall. I know this is going to be a palm that requires protection in my zone but I'm wondering when I should plant them? I have lots of sabal palms about the same size that I planted last year and they sailed through the winter, completely unprotected with no damage at all. I've also read some of these trunking palms are hardier when small because they're focussing on establishing their roots vs gaining height where they'll be more exposed. At the moment, I have them potted and I'm thinking I'll keep them this way over the winter and plant them in late February, when all danger of temps in the teens has passed. Anyone have any advice? Should I put some in the ground now and take a chance? 

Don't plant them. They are way too small to take your icy winters. Wait till spring of 2023. They will have problems in your wet winters in any case. 

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

There’s a guy in Winston-Salem with a HUGE washy. I should be a tad warmer here in Raleigh. And I know of a few large ones in Fayetteville to. So I’ll try and find a spot against my house for added protection 

• Upvote 1

• I grew one to a nice size over a couple of years  ,  but my 2018  , 100 year cold  event ,  where I didn't get above 32F for 8 days was too much for it . I easily could've kept it fine , but I used  a crappy protection method  when I knew better ways of protection . 
  • I hear they get hardier and can handle more moisture  when they are more mature . I will check out that assumption next spring . 
  • Will
  • Like 1

I think it depends on how much your willing to protect it...an umbrella greenhouse  

would work great, provide lots of heat and keep it dry but you would want to keep it

above 35F at that size....a Thermocube easily does this...on @35 off @45F with the

right amount of heat and insulation.....at the same time there is no rush as it should

take right off in spring.

• Like 2