Sign in to follow this  
Palmy Pal

Unknown Young Sabal

Palmy Pal

I’ve got this young Sabal I’ve had for a while now. When I got it the palm only had seedling leaflets that were not split. But I got this palm at a nursery that I remember being in Florida. My first guess was Sabal minor considering the blue color and small more compact size. But usually S. Minor has wider, larger leafs when young so that has thrown me off. And I don’t think it’s palmetto because it is more blue in coloration. Let me know what you guys think and throw out some guesses! All I know is that it’s cold hardy, blueish and a sabal. And it was a palm specializing nursery that grew it from seeds so it could be anything. Also I forgot to mention that this palm was in a section with the windmill palms and labeled as such but obviously this is not a trachy. 

4327A478-2BA6-40E0-8D65-0926282093EC.jpeg

95A098DC-B34E-4CF3-BAE6-DC49A783BA73.jpeg

667C6AFE-6407-47D3-9402-53102AFF67D9.jpeg

C2EAA4D0-2BA5-4956-9B42-49A86A648B0D.jpeg

6AADFBE0-FB71-4F88-8B8A-64DA1FF6DDFF.jpeg

DCA_Palm_Fan

Really nearly impossible to tell at this young stage unless you are 100% certain where the seed was sourced.   Maybe someone else has a better eye than I, but until it starts getting full fan leaves its hard to know for sure.