IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurrican IDA

GottmitAlex

Stay safe folks.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

An awful event.... hope everyone is safe.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

My heart goes out to the people of Louisiana.   Most places that took eye wall from Laplace, south, are just incredibly devastated.    This name will definitely be retied, never to be used again.  I'm not sure what the death toll is at the moment but I have only seen one death so far, which is absolutely incredible when you see just how bad this was.   

10 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

My heart goes out to the people of Louisiana.   Most places that took eye wall from Laplace, south, are just incredibly devastated.    This name will definitely be retied, never to be used again.  I'm not sure what the death toll is at the moment but I have only seen one death so far, which is absolutely incredible when you see just how bad this was.   

There was a 71 year old man in Slidell, LA that was probably killed in an alligator attack. According to reports ive seen, the man had his arm ripped off in front of his wife, who then ran for help. Once she came back, he was gone. Not sure if he has been found yet, but i suspect he wont be, unfortunately. The first death was from a fallen tree. Hopefully the death toll doesnt rise, but there are still some areas that probably havent been reached yet.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

8 hours ago, JLM said:

There was a 71 year old man in Slidell, LA that was probably killed in an alligator attack. According to reports ive seen, the man had his arm ripped off in front of his wife, who then ran for help. Once she came back, he was gone. Not sure if he has been found yet, but i suspect he wont be, unfortunately. The first death was from a fallen tree. Hopefully the death toll doesnt rise, but there are still some areas that probably havent been reached yet.

Thats horrific!   

last I saw its now 4.  Which is still remarkably low fortunately.  

25 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Thats horrific!   

last I saw its now 4.  Which is still remarkably low fortunately.  

Heard of about 11 people that has been taken to the hospital in Louisiana due to carbon monoxide poisoning. 7 of the 11 are children from what ive seen.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 9/1/2021 at 11:17 AM, JLM said:

Heard of about 11 people that has been taken to the hospital in Louisiana due to carbon monoxide poisoning. 7 of the 11 are children from what ive seen.

It's going up now.   Unfortunately Ida was not done.  More deaths being added now with the catastrophic flooding, and multiple violent tornadoes over 5 states yesterday.   Some so far have been confirmed EF2's with wind speeds around 130MPH.   One was just 15 minutes from where I grew up, hitting Annapolis MD. 

I have to say, I don't remember hurricane / tropical storm remnants causing as much devastation as they have in the last 15-20 years.  It seems like they get worse and worse.   

• Like 1

Grand Isle got it bad. Tbh, I was expecting worse for that island.  I kind of expected it to be almost wiped clean like Mexico beach during Michael.    While it is close, I think there is more left standing here.  I feel terrible for all of these people.     In watching this video I find it simply stunning and amazing how some structures were just wiped away, or very severely damaged beyond being salvageable, while right next to it, there is one that looks like literally nothing happened at all.   This island was blanketed with 10 to maybe even 16 feet of storm surge, and, the entire island took the 150 mph sustained winds with higher gusts.  All of these structures went through the same thing but the dramatic differences in damage are just amazing to me.    Do you think it is just modern building codes or people spending double in order to have a home built that can take a cat 4-5 hurricane with little or no damage?  

Palm related - at 9:50 of the video, and again at 14:25-30,  it passes over what looks like it was a recently planted Sabal Palmetto as it is still hurricane cut.  Poor tree didnt stand a chance and was ripped out probably by storm surge.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Grand Isle got it bad. Tbh, I was expecting worse for that island.  I kind of expected it to be almost wiped clean like Mexico beach during Michael.    While it is close, I think there is more left standing here.  I feel terrible for all of these people.     In watching this video I find it simply stunning and amazing how some structures were just wiped away, or very severely damaged beyond being salvageable, while right next to it, there is one that looks like literally nothing happened at all.   This island was blanketed with 10 to maybe even 16 feet of storm surge, and, the entire island took the 150 mph sustained winds with higher gusts.  All of these structures went through the same thing but the dramatic differences in damage are just amazing to me.    Do you think it is just modern building codes or people spending double in order to have a home built that can take a cat 4-5 hurricane with little or no damage?  

Palm related - at 9:50 of the video, and again at 14:25-30,  it passes over what looks like it was a recently planted Sabal Palmetto as it is still hurricane cut.  Poor tree didnt stand a chance and was ripped out probably by storm surge.   

Something ive noticed out of some of these videos ive seen for Ida, there are some Queen palms with several feet of trunk throughout NOLA, and even as far west as Thibodaux, which is more exposed to cold than NOLA itself.

• Like 1

Leaning palm from Hurricane Ida. Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to set a palm upright after a tilt from strong winds? This is a Mexican palm that is total 12ft with a trunk of less than 3ft.  Any advise on how to best upright this will keeping the palm would be much appreciated. 

Thank you,

Tom

On 9/5/2021 at 1:09 PM, NOLA_TnM said:

Leaning palm from Hurricane Ida. Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to set a palm upright after a tilt from strong winds? This is a Mexican palm that is total 12ft with a trunk of less than 3ft.  Any advise on how to best upright this will keeping the palm would be much appreciated. 

Thank you,

Tom

Dig a bit around the side that it is leaning from.   the side that the wind was coming from.  Push it back upright and settle it back in.  Backfill soil around it and water it.  More soil, water again, then brace the palm on at least 3 sides.    Like the photo below.   It should be good.  

palmbrace.jpg

On 9/6/2021 at 10:29 PM, ZPalms said:

That poor sabal, I really dislike hurricane cut it's such a sad thing to do!

I know!  I thought the same thing.  It was still viable too.  Could have just  taken it and planted it in a new location. It would have survived just fine! 

• Like 1