IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When to plant it in the ground? Butiagrus

Peachs

3 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Do you live on the moon, what side...dark or light?

Is that astro turf?

Helpful comment there. :hmm:

I’m thinking he should wait another year or two until it is a bit bigger and hardier, although he could probably plant it now as he is in northern Spain and has a relatively mild climate in winter. 

@Peachs What has been your lowest temperature over the past 10 years there? 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

57 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Helpful comment there. :hmm:

I’m thinking he should wait another year or two until it is a bit bigger and hardier, although he could probably plant it now as he is in northern Spain and has a relatively mild climate in winter. 

@Peachs What has been your lowest temperature over the past 10 years there? 

Thanks!

-8°C

Its hard to make a helpful comment when you don't say where you live

luckily there is UK palms to the rescue:floor:

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimhardy said:

Its hard to make a helpful comment when you don't say where you live

and yet some will plow ahead without that info so....is that helpful? hmmm:P

I was thinking the same thing, can't really give a meaningful planting window without knowing geographical location. Or could always guess and hope for the best. 

28 minutes ago, Peachs said:

Thanks!

-8°C

I would wait another year or two for it to toughen up, just in case this winter is a cold one for northern Spain, or Western Europe in general, which includes me here in southern England. 

Central London hasn’t dropped below -6C for about 30 years now, but you don’t see Butyagrus anywhere, yet. I would be hesitant to plant your one out at that size, just in case you get another -8C or worse. Maybe plant it next spring perhaps?

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

I would wait another year or two for it to toughen up, just in case this winter is a cold one for northern Spain, or Western Europe in general, which includes me here in southern England. 

Central London hasn’t dropped below -6C for about 30 years now, but you don’t see Butyagrus anywhere, yet. I would be hesitant to plant your one out at that size, just in case you get another -8C or worse. Maybe plant it next spring perhaps?

I will wait for spring, or maybe 1 more year.

7 hours ago, Peachs said:

I will wait for spring, or maybe 1 more year.

Thats a good idea to wait till next spring.  Looks like a nice palm. :D

5 minutes ago, sipalms said:

Are you sure?

The lowest at St. James Park and London City Airport in December 2010 was -6C. That was statistically our coldest month on record. During the February 2018 polar vortex they saw about -5C, maybe -6C again in central and eastern London. A couple of -6C lows in the 90's as well. I'm pretty sure they haven't gone below -6C since the 80's now, but I could be wrong. There may be a -7C reading in there somewhere, but I doubt it. Winter 2019 and 2020 were frost free in central and eastern London. +1.5C was the absolute winter minimum.

To my knowledge, there are still no established Butyagrus in London as of yet. That may be due to how rare and hard to get they are over here, but some smaller ones are being zone pushed in London and protected early on. The OP says he has seen -8C in his location though, which is colder than central and eastern London has seen in decades now, I think. It may be a bit risky putting a small Butyagrus out given the wet-cold, stormy Atlantic winter weather that northern Spain, western France and southern England gets. Plus the risk of another -8C this summer on a small Queen hybrid. Best to grow it on to a bigger size and wait until a spring or early summer to plant. I definitely wouldn't plant in autumn or winter.

@Peachs Has your spring and summer been really bad this year too?

Wow... people ,are getting to bent outta shape...relax...we all love palms ...lets not get carried away...in climate crap...it changes every year ..back to the mule...i would wait another year then protect for a couple more if something outta the ordinary hits ! 

I looked it up, looks like a beautiful place to live! This is what I found for weather info although I am sure

you know your weather well....they say the winter is cold haha...looks pretty nice to me compared to my area!

In Salamanca, the summers are short, warm, and mostly clear; the winters are very cold, windy, and partly cloudy; and it is dry year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 31°F to 86°F and is rarely below 22°F or above 94°F.

@Hutch It’s relevant to the discussion about growing and zone pushing Butyagrus in Western Europe where the OP and I both live. Northern Spain, western France and southern England have similar climates and conditions. Hence the discussion around Butyagrus surviving in our part of the world and how well they handle the conditions.

Although looking at his climate stats he has gone down to -20C before and has an average low of -1C in January. I thought he was on the north coast of Spain and I actually didn’t realise he was that cold in winter. I definitely wouldn’t plant a small Butyagrus out there. Even bigger ones may be touch and go. The Salamanca airport station had 3 consecutive nights of -12C / 10F last January according to Wunderground.

1 hour ago, Jimhardy said:

I looked it up, looks like a beautiful place to live! This is what I found for weather info although I am sure

you know your weather well....they say the winter is cold haha...looks pretty nice to me compared to my area!

In Salamanca, the summers are short, warm, and mostly clear; the winters are very cold, windy, and partly cloudy; and it is dry year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 31°F to 86°F and is rarely below 22°F or above 94°F.

Yes, the weather description is correct ;)

56 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

@Hutch It’s relevant to the discussion about growing and zone pushing Butyagrus in Western Europe where the OP and I both live. Northern Spain, western France and southern England have similar climates and conditions. Hence the discussion around Butyagrus surviving in our part of the world and how well they handle the conditions.

Although looking at his climate stats he has gone down to -20C before and has an average low of -1C in January. I thought he was on the north coast of Spain and I actually didn’t realise he was that cold in winter. I definitely wouldn’t plant a small Butyagrus out there. Even bigger ones may be touch and go. The Salamanca airport station had 3 consecutive nights of -12C / 10F last January according to Wunderground.

In my locality the minimums are -8 ° C, perhaps only 1 or 2 days in the whole year.  I have W. Filifera without damage last winter, one of the coldest (filomena).

I have another 6 year old butiagrus on the ground, hope it gets through the cold like w.  filifera!