IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dead filifera RIP

ZPalms

So the filifera didn't make it and I thought it was a complete goner but I might of made a mistake but it was showing no signs of improvement so I hacked it because I thought it was gone but it had some green still left just a little bit but it wasn't visible to me so it way to late now if their was a chance of recovery but it had a lot of rot going on in the small trunk it had which just crumbled so this is all that left </3 :(

IMG-7125.jpg

IMG-7126.jpg

Sucks bro, but part of the palm game for sure. Guaranteed everyone on this forum has lost plants. Really the only way to learn how to keep them alive. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, teddytn said:

Sucks bro, but part of the palm game for sure. Guaranteed everyone on this forum has lost plants. Really the only way to learn how to keep them alive. 

I knew it was coming, I might of been able to catch it if I knew it was experiencing rot which sucks but in the name of this palm I'll buy some filifera seeds and grow some in it's name! :crying::wub:

• Like 1

Filifera have trouble surviving the SE US rainy, humid climate. You are better off with filibusta or pure robusta

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I knew it was coming, I might of been able to catch it if I knew it was experiencing rot which sucks but in the name of this palm I'll buy some filifera seeds and grow some in it's name! :crying::wub:

At least washies grow really fast. You’ll have one bigger than that in no time 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teddytn said:

At least washies grow really fast. You’ll have one bigger than that in no time 

They are catching up big time! :wub:  Just ashamed this one never got a shot at living :crying:

11 hours ago, ZPalms said:

They are catching up big time! :wub:  Just ashamed this one never got a shot at living :crying:

Don't be.  We've all lost palms over the years.  Even the most seasoned growers.   It happens.  All we can do is learn and try to do better in the future with the knowledge we have gained.   You'll do just fine in the future.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What was said above about W. filifera in the East is very true..., they absolutely HATE our HUMID summers.  I once planted a bunch of filifera and robust seeds. All the robustas were fine and all the the fileras ended up dead.  All my Washys are either robusta or filibusta.  If you like growing from seed, also try Phoenix canariensis (Canary Island Date), "true date" (P. dactylifera) prefers a drier atmosphere. Try Butia/Pindo palms too from seed.  I have not grown Butias from seed,  but they are without exception, my biggest palms from seedlings.  Good luck!

• Like 1

The soil in the picture looks very, very wet. Filifera is cold hardier, yet doesnt tolerate quite as much water. If you're looking for a palm to keep in a pot for a while, find a Robusta or Filibusta, as said above.

You're not alone on losing palms. Ive lost several. I lost a Majesty, 5 Pygmy Dates, a Sabal palmetto seedling (one that i sprouted from seed, it just never grew and eventually the new leaf came out), 2 larger Sabal palmetto (i should've listened to the advice of never digging them up until they have at least 4 ft of trunk). I have come close to losing other Pygmy dates and a Queen (extremely pot bound, in the ground and doing well now though), and my first Foxtail. I also sprouted several Bismarckia seeds, only 2 are growing, out of those 2, only one of them is thriving. Its all part of the challenge :evil:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

4 hours ago, JLM said:

The soil in the picture looks very, very wet. Filifera is cold hardier, yet doesnt tolerate quite as much water. If you're looking for a palm to keep in a pot for a while, find a Robusta or Filibusta, as said above.

You're not alone on losing palms. Ive lost several. I lost a Majesty, 5 Pygmy Dates, a Sabal palmetto seedling (one that i sprouted from seed, it just never grew and eventually the new leaf came out), 2 larger Sabal palmetto (i should've listened to the advice of never digging them up until they have at least 4 ft of trunk). I have come close to losing other Pygmy dates and a Queen (extremely pot bound, in the ground and doing well now though), and my first Foxtail. I also sprouted several Bismarckia seeds, only 2 are growing, out of those 2, only one of them is thriving. Its all part of the challenge :evil:

I can't bear to lose any palms :floor2: This one was given to me but it was already struggling from the humidity and the soil was wet in the bag cause I accidentally wet it and put hydrogen peroxide on it for some reason LOL, Hopefully I don't lose anymore cause caterpillars have been trying to attack my little collection and they are getting on my nerves!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I can't bear to lose any palms :floor2: This one was given to me but it was already struggling from the humidity and the soil was wet in the bag cause I accidentally wet it and put hydrogen peroxide on it for some reason LOL, Hopefully I don't lose anymore cause caterpillars have been trying to attack my little collection and they are getting on my nerves!!

Im doing spider research this morning, trying to determine these spiders that are pretty much everywhere in the backyard. These spiders move so fast, its hard to get rid of them.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, JLM said:

Im doing spider research this morning, trying to determine these spiders that are pretty much everywhere in the backyard. These spiders move so fast, its hard to get rid of them.

Are they jumping spiders? I have a couple of them and they move quick but I prefer them on the palms than anything else so they catch pest!! :P

24 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Are they jumping spiders? I have a couple of them and they move quick but I prefer them on the palms than anything else so they catch pest!! :P

Not jumping spiders, although i do see a couple from time to time.

• Like 1

Spiders are carnivorous so won't attack your palms but will eat insects that attack palms.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:31 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Filifera have trouble surviving the SE US rainy, humid climate. You are better off with filibusta or pure robusta

Around here in South Houston there is a Grove of pure W.Filifera in Texas City on my way to work. They did much better then Robusta during Palmageddon. Also were almost as sweltering and humid as say Florida. The Grove is in the middle of a construction laydown yard so they literally are on there own. I'll try to get a puc of them one day on the way home they are glorious. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Around here in South Houston there is a Grove of pure W.Filifera in Texas City on my way to work. They did much better then Robusta during Palmageddon. Also were almost as sweltering and humid as say Florida. The Grove is in the middle of a construction laydown yard so they literally are on there own. I'll try to get a puc of them one day on the way home they are glorious. 

T J 

Sounds awesome! How are they surviving with intense humidity?

7 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Sounds awesome! How are they surviving with intense humidity?

Honestly I don't think it's the humidity. Mostly this area is gumbo clay too so you would think that's another strike against them for here but yet they seem to have no problem growing and surviving. 

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

6 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I slowed down to take a couple pics finally @ZPalms

T J 

20210904_183135.jpg

Oh wow! They look awesome! :wub:  What's their secret? :floor: are they filifera dominated hybrid? or are they pure filifera?

Edited by ZPalms

4 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Oh wow! They look awesome! :wub:  What's their secret? :floor: are they filifera dominated hybrid? or are they pure filifera?

To my eye there pure Filifera with not a Robusta around. I wish I could get some seed from them. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

6 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

To my eye there pure Filifera with not a Robusta around. I wish I could get some seed from them. 

T J 

If you ever do decide to get seeds from them I would love to buy some!

On 8/30/2021 at 2:28 PM, ZPalms said:

Anyone know good source of filifera seeds?

I have some seeds from this guy if you’d like. He’s kinda growing by himself in the middle of the desert. I grabbed them off the ground in June, likely from last winters set. 

01D93CE2-B767-4FD9-A649-6EF4CCBDDBBA.jpeg.a6bbe317b8213e6a5dc0923a1f3a709d.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

I have some seeds from this guy if you’d like. He’s kinda growing by himself in the middle of the desert. I grabbed them off the ground in June, likely from last winters set. 

01D93CE2-B767-4FD9-A649-6EF4CCBDDBBA.jpeg.a6bbe317b8213e6a5dc0923a1f3a709d.jpeg

Why is that actually kind of cute but sad to me that hes out their all by himself with no friends nearby! I'm interested in some!!!! :D The crown looks amazing, would definitely appreciate it! :wub:

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 2

Ill take some seed also if your willing to. Beautiful palm. Where is it located? 

Edited by Justin31703
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Justin31703 said:

Ill take some seed also. Beautiful palm. Where is it located? 

For sure. Abandoned gas station (now demolished) east of Glendale, NV - 8b.

• Like 2

Went on google maps to check out that filifera growth through the years and it's grown very little since 2007 so it must not receive much water out there but still a beast! Did the gas station plant it?

Edited by ZPalms

3 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Went on google maps to check out that filifera growth through the years and it's grown very little since 2007 so it must not receive much water out there but still a beast! Did the gas station plant it?

Probably - I’m uncertain.  There is no water to it. I like the odd ball trees growing without it. 

• Like 1

I'm curious, does humidity and rain play a part in how full a filifera crown is? I've seen some photos of filiferas in florida that have very horizontal flat crowns and not really a puffy ball look to them

40 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I'm curious, does humidity and rain play a part in how full a filifera crown is? I've seen some photos of filiferas in florida that have very horizontal flat crowns and not really a puffy ball look to them

I would assume so. Most of their native range is well below 30% humidity, almost always. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 7:04 PM, RyManUtah said:

Is this the one off of I-15?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

20 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Indeed :greenthumb:

If you have any you don't want, I'll gladly give them a home with the rest of their brethren in the desert garden out back.  And, of course, compensate you appropriately for your trouble.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F