Sign in to follow this  
EvanM

Easy Office Palm

EvanM

Hi y’all, new to Palmtalk, currently have a Phoenix roebelenii and a Chamaerops humilis in outdoor pots at home (zone 8a, the Phoenix is garaged during winter nights). I’m looking to add a (low-maintenance) office palm to the mix. Office situation is as follows:

- One large, east facing window (whose blinds I keep closed, so it’s rather dark).

- AC is run at night during the summer, turned off during the day. I don’t run the heat in the winter, but my coworkers run theirs, so my office stays above 60 or so.

Is there anything meeting these criteria? If not, what do I need to change? I’ve heard Chamaedorea elegans is pretty rugged, would that be a good plant to start with for the office?

DCA_Palm_Fan
11 hours ago, EvanM said:

Hi y’all, new to Palmtalk, currently have a Phoenix roebelenii and a Chamaerops humilis in outdoor pots at home (zone 8a, the Phoenix is garaged during winter nights). I’m looking to add a (low-maintenance) office palm to the mix. Office situation is as follows:

- One large, east facing window (whose blinds I keep closed, so it’s rather dark).

- AC is run at night during the summer, turned off during the day. I don’t run the heat in the winter, but my coworkers run theirs, so my office stays above 60 or so.

Is there anything meeting these criteria? If not, what do I need to change? I’ve heard Chamaedorea elegans is pretty rugged, would that be a good plant to start with for the office?

For your situation,  C. Elegans is probably your best choice, although Id keep those blinds open.    Pretty much any plant you choose to place in there is going to need at minimum the bright morning sun / indirect light that comes in that window.      I'm curious as to why the AC is run at night instead of the day time?  seems odd to me. 

EvanM
2 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

For your situation,  C. Elegans is probably your best choice, although Id keep those blinds open.    Pretty much any plant you choose to place in there is going to need at minimum the bright morning sun / indirect light that comes in that window.      I'm curious as to why the AC is run at night instead of the day time?  seems odd to me. 

Okay, thanks. I run the AC at night because it is very loud, and doesn’t have an automatic function; it’s either on or off.

DCA_Palm_Fan
6 minutes ago, EvanM said:

Okay, thanks. I run the AC at night because it is very loud, and doesn’t have an automatic function; it’s either on or off.

Wow that's interesting.  Sounds like its time for some repairs and upgrades.   I don't think I've ever seen heat / ac with no thermostat.    How cold does it get in there at night? 

Also,  I've been thinking about this and there are a few other palms you could try.    Rhapis Excelsa  (lady palm) would probably do well in there as well, also Chamadorea Cataractum (cat palm) may also do well.   You may be able to also try Chamadorea Seifrizii (bamboo palm) as well. 

EvanM
8 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Wow that's interesting.  Sounds like its time for some repairs and upgrades.   I don't think I've ever seen heat / ac with no thermostat.    How cold does it get in there at night? 

Also,  I've been thinking about this and there are a few other palms you could try.    Rhapis Excelsa  (lady palm) would probably do well in there as well, also Chamadorea Cataractum (cat palm) may also do well.   You may be able to also try Chamadorea Seifrizii (bamboo palm) as well. 

Not sure exactly how cold it gets, although I doubt it gets below 70 during the summer. 

JohnAndSancho

Kentias? I've got some D. Lutescens in my office but they're small and in a south facing window and they get a lot of Texas sun 

DCA_Palm_Fan
14 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Kentias? I've got some D. Lutescens in my office but they're small and in a south facing window and they get a lot of Texas sun 

I forgot about  Howea Forsteriana.   Those can be very good indoors as well, although they do get large  with time.    Dypsis Lutescens can work, but they tend to sulk with lower light levels.    I'm not sure it would be good for his siting.   Whatever the case those blinds are going to have to be open all day every day. 

oasis371

Kentia (Howea) would work, but decent sized ones are $$$$.  Lady palms too would work but both would appreciate a bit of a compromise on those closed blinds (does it have to be all or nothing?).  Chamaedoreas too would work (Cat palm or C. elegans). Good luck!

Philly J

Just don’t do this.  It’s too much work, but I have no choice (still love an excuse for sharing the pic though! Lol).  Carrying all of them on my back, and we will limp to the next June finish line together. 

A5DF41C3-3423-483F-BDD9-DB2497CB6A45.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Philly J

No windows.  LED’s on 20 hours a day with 4 hour photosynthesis breaks.  

Philly J

Upstairs, but I only have permission to keep them there as it’s not my dungeon of an office.  Nice coworkers I have.

50BF1A0F-9C7C-494E-8878-9FB2E856B4E6.jpeg

• Like 1

EJ;)
On 9/4/2021 at 1:51 PM, Philly J said:

Just don’t do this.  It’s too much work, but I have no choice (still love an excuse for sharing the pic though! Lol).  Carrying all of them on my back, and we will limp to the next June finish line together. 

A5DF41C3-3423-483F-BDD9-DB2497CB6A45.jpeg

seems like a dream office to me!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1