Sign in to follow this  
Marius

Syagrus cearensis

Marius

Hi Everyone. 
How hardy is Syagrus cearensis compared to Syagrus coronata?  I’m thinking of getting a couple. I have a Syagrus coronata which burns badly each winter, but recovers completely during summer. 

Secondly:  how hardy is Syagrus schizophylla?  Will it work under a tree (shady area with cold, but no frost)?

Thanks

Marius

Took these pictures now. This is what my Syagrus coronata looks like after winter. Hopefully our cold is over after this winter. It’s been harsh this year. 

FEE6AA9D-7589-422D-BC80-87A61347CAB9.jpeg

C30CEA73-4BF1-4A48-8E4E-FC44604E27F2.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Marius
      By Marius
      I’ve just planted this licuala sarawakensis out into my garden. I’m in a 9b type climate zone. I planted it under a big Phoenix canariensis in an area that is sheltered between two high walls ( the house on one side and a high boundary wall on the other). 
      Does anyone have experience growing this species outside the tropics. 

• Xerarch
      By Xerarch
      Hey I have a real appreciation for the Pseudophoenix genus, I think they are beautiful, all of them.  I would like to know about which one is the most cold tolerant, is it sargentii?  Seems like sargentii is approximately as hardy as a Royal, but much slower growing, which means recovery is more difficult.  If I remember correctly lediniana is the fastest so it might recover from damage better, but if it is less hardy that also means that it will damage easier.  Also it sounds like sargentii var. navassa is faster than normal, but is it more tender also?
      Are these grown with success in 9b/10a areas of central Florida and south Texas where Royals are grown and might experience periodic damage?  If so, pics please!
      I'm thinking about ordering some seeds and getting some going, that way in a few years when I'm able to move to a more blessed climate than Ohio I'll have some going as they are pretty expensive to buy even in small sizes.
      Any input and pics are appreciated!
    • Phoenikakias
      By Phoenikakias
      Anyone growing this Pritchardia sp for some confirmation? I grow one (at least bought as such), now lumped with P macrocarpa, and for second time I observe that it is hardier to frost than both Pritchardia hillebrandii and affinis. But it is considerably slower in growth and prone to potassium deficiency. So I need another grower beyond tropics, who could confirm above observation. I had a very light freezing in the past days and I today I have observed first damage signs on my Pritchardia spss but the lowreyana.
      Most sensitive is the affinis:

Second comes the hillebrandii both ny small and the big one showed identical cold tolerance/sensitivity:

• Alicehunter2000
      By Alicehunter2000
      The recent 25 degree temps tested the nana for the first time .....
      C. nana putting out new leaf....no damage

R. excelsa #1 showing burn

R. excelsa #2 showing burn

R. excelsa var. "Short and Fat" ...no damage

R. excelsa dwarf variety.....no damage

R. multifida ....no damage

Really surprised at the hardiness of C. nana ..... what have others observed?
    • tank
      By tank
      Any experience on the the minimum temps this plant can take would be appreciated. Is their any chance this cycad can take down to 20F in N. Florida?