IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms wanted: Coccothrinax, Copernicia, Hemithrinax, Sabal Yapa

Justin31703

Hi everyone! I’m looking for these palms:

1. Sabal yapa

2. Coccothrinax macroglossa azul

3. Coccothrinax moaensis (if even possible)

4. Coccothrinax miraguama var. roseocarpa

(havanensis also works)

5. Copernicia fallaensis, baileyana, or macroglossa or other Cuban Copernicias. 

6. Hemithrinax ekmaniana

7. Coccothrinax barbadensis

These would have to be shipped so any seedling or smaller sized palms. Thanks! 

Edited by Justin31703

10 hours ago, Justin31703 said:

1. Sabal yapa

(havanensis also works)

6. Hemithrinax ekmaniana

@DoomsDave has Coccothrinax barbadensis (Coccothrinax dussiana is a synonym) for free in the Freebies forum.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

13 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@DoomsDave has Coccothrinax barbadensis (Coccothrinax dussiana is a synonym) for free in the Freebies forum.

Had

Long gone

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:41 PM, Justin31703 said:

1. Sabal yapa

(havanensis also works)

6. Hemithrinax ekmaniana

These are not zone 6 palms

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

4 hours ago, Steve the palmreader said:

These are not zone 6 palms

They definitely are not. No palm will be extremely reliable living outside in zone 6. But they definitely can be grown in containers. 

Edited by Justin31703

I got some great palms from @JubaeaMan138 he sent me a Copernicia baileyana, macroglossa, yarey, hospita, and some Coccothrinax azul. Palms look great and I highly recommend if your looking for some Cuban Palm seedlings. I’ll post pics soon. Thanks Chris. 

-Justin 

I have all of thes

On 8/28/2021 at 11:41 PM, Justin31703 said:

1. Sabal yapa

(havanensis also works)

6. Hemithrinax ekmaniana

Hi Justin, 

I have everything on your list in shippable sizes 1-7g size except for the C. Moaensis. My cell is (239) 318-0460. We are certified to ship everywhere in the US. Let me know if interested I can get you pricing and some pictures. 
thanks,

shelby 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, PalmMom007 said:

I have all of thes

Hi Justin, 

I have everything on your list in shippable sizes 1-7g size except for the C. Moaensis. My cell is (239) 318-0460. We are certified to ship everywhere in the US. Let me know if interested I can get you pricing and some pictures. 
thanks,

shelby 

Hi. Do you have mottled palms or anything with distinct/colorful trunk in smaller sizes by chance?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, as to @aztropic‘s request I’m doing an update on the seedlings I got from @JubaeaMan138. The Copernicia baileyana, macroglossa, and yarey have been growing slow but steady and have overwintered relatively well under a grow light inside. C. Hospita did not make it - does not like being bare root and the Coccothrinax ended up rotting over the winter. 331E6E29-1A74-49B6-A89C-23140A304406.thumb.jpeg.f0030363865947d11b2c618be2d73291.jpeg

• Like 1

One more thing, they did get some dead tips and spider mites over winter. But they have been growing well outside and the roots are starting to fill out a bit in the pots. Yarey (on right) is yellowing a bit - deficiency? 

8 hours ago, Justin31703 said:

One more thing, they did get some dead tips and spider mites over winter. But they have been growing well outside and the roots are starting to fill out a bit in the pots. Yarey (on right) is yellowing a bit - deficiency? 

Might be time to move them up to 2 gallon size pots... Copernicia species have extremely aggressive root systems,and really don't like being grown in restrictive pots. Also,a LIGHT dose of fertilizer while still actively growing will help to green them up. (I use a time release fertilizer like osmocote)  Lack of heat (may) be a contributing factor to their yellowish appearance. 

As a grower in AZ,we have plenty of heat. Copernicia species grown here do yellow up a bit over our winters,but actually green back up once the heat arrives. Here's a few examples I'm growing to illustrate the normal dark green color a healthy Cope should display. Hope this helps.:greenthumb:

(fallaensis,gigas,macroglossa hybrid)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220827_070004116.jpg

IMG_20220827_070102371.jpg

IMG_20220827_070135920.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

11 hours ago, Justin31703 said:

What are your high temps? These were pretty much full inland sun all day long here in so cal from seed to leaf  . They yellow a little during winter but usually green back up no problem during spring summer. Glad to see they are doing good . They surpassed my expectations for your climate . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aztropic said:

Might be time to move them up to 2 gallon size pots... Copernicia species have extremely aggressive root systems,and really don't like being grown in restrictive pots. Also,a LIGHT dose of fertilizer while still actively growing will help to green them up. (I use a time release fertilizer like osmocote)  Lack of heat (may) be a contributing factor to their yellowish appearance. 

As a grower in AZ,we have plenty of heat. Copernicia species grown here do yellow up a bit over our winters,but actually green back up once the heat arrives. Here's a few examples I'm growing to illustrate the normal dark green color a healthy Cope should display. Hope this helps.:greenthumb:

(fallaensis,gigas,macroglossa hybrid)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220827_070004116.jpg

IMG_20220827_070102371.jpg

IMG_20220827_070135920.jpg

Fallaense is looking good! 

10 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Fallaense is looking good! 

Gonna be a monster! Gave it plenty of room to expand and be the showcase palm it has the potential to be. 15 gallon size now, and growing like a weed with the absolutely perfect monsoon season we received this year!

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Gonna be a monster! Gave it plenty of room to expand and be the showcase palm it has the potential to be. 15 gallon size now, and growing like a weed with the absolutely perfect monsoon season we received this year!

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Agree monsoons even reached out to riverside this season lots of hot rain this summer stuff is loving it 

• Like 1