IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some help with protecting Palms

Palmfarmer

I Need to protect my small Majesty when winter comes. I was thinking tying the fronds up then wrapping a few layers of burlap. outside of that I will use c9s and wrap it on more time with burlap. Anyone got any constructive critisism on this method or if i should do thing otherwise I love to hear from you. 

Side question can Bottles be wrapped up for a extended time as well?

You would need some type of cover(maybe a tarp) over the burlap to keep it dry

and you don't want the lights touching the burlap...you can buy a Thermocube

that turns on @ 35/off 45F that will make it easier and won't let the enclosure

overheat....usually a good idea to put it in the crown area so you know the growth

point is safe-also a remote sensor(thermometer) is always a good idea to watch the temp in

there and make sure lights are working/providing enough heat.

19 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

I Need to protect my small Majesty when winter comes. I was thinking tying the fronds up then wrapping a few layers of burlap. outside of that I will use c9s and wrap it on more time with burlap. Anyone got any constructive critisism on this method or if i should do thing otherwise I love to hear from you. 

Side question can Bottles be wrapped up for a extended time as well?

C9's get hot so I would go with incandescent C7's  , and wrap up the trunk about 1-2 inches apart with a little extra at the  bud area and a little extra at the base .  Then I would put a blanket around the lights  on the  trunk and use tape or cordage of some sort to tie the blanket in place  , and I would put a little mulch at the base too so wind can't get up the trunk . I only use one layer of blankets but they overlap in some places .

51377428005_f153717a79_b.jpg

4D9B3B90-086C-44F4-8D6D-20AEFD96C3D9.heic

That's the protection I use on my Washy that you might have seen on this site  , but if you haven't check out the link below below . 

4D9B3B90-086C-44F4-8D6D-20AEFD96C3D9.heic

EB0F04DA-26FC-46A7-9433-930207DF083B.heic

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Upvote 1

On 8/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, Will Simpson said:

C9's get hot so I would go with incandescent C7's  , and wrap up the trunk about 1-2 inches apart with a little extra at the  bud area and a little extra at the base .  Then I would put a blanket around the lights  on the  trunk and use tape or cordage of some sort to tie the blanket in place  , and I would put a little mulch at the base too so wind can't get up the trunk . I only use one layer of blankets but they overlap in some places .

51377428005_f153717a79_b.jpg

4D9B3B90-086C-44F4-8D6D-20AEFD96C3D9.heic 1.89 MB · 6 downloads

That's the protection I use on my Washy that you might have seen on this site  , but if you haven't check out the link below below . 

4D9B3B90-086C-44F4-8D6D-20AEFD96C3D9.heic 1.89 MB · 6 downloads

EB0F04DA-26FC-46A7-9433-930207DF083B.heic 1.89 MB · 2 downloads

Is yours a filibusta? I couldn't find any of those online so I ordered four filifera thinking they're hardier than the robustas. I know filifera doesn't like humidity though and Raleigh is SUPER humid much of the year. 

On 9/2/2021 at 12:57 PM, knikfar said:

Is yours a filibusta? I couldn't find any of those online so I ordered four filifera thinking they're hardier than the robustas. I know filifera doesn't like humidity though and Raleigh is SUPER humid much of the year. 

yeah you should aim for a robusta dominant filibusta. He got a robusta dominant filibusta i think. Most washies are hybrids to some extent. There is a few things you could do to give the Filifera a better chance. Plant it on a slope or on the very edge of a slope and plant it a little high would be idieal.

• Like 1