Tropicdoc

Before the storm

Tropicdoc

Documenting my priceless palms (butia x parajubaea) to remember them in case they get uprooted by Ida.

F6960DD8-8AC2-450A-84D3-A7E5AE9C9782.jpeg

A70DE190-D668-4415-93E5-5D9364E81108.jpeg

F0555F6F-5074-4B1A-8FE6-F45CD139FB60.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Allen

They look small enough they should do ok if nothing odd happens.  Good luck and be safe.

• Upvote 2

Paradise Found

I love the look of this mule I hope they make it. The look is awesome the way the leaves fan out. 

• Like 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

@Tropicdoc May the palm gods have mercy on your garden =) 

T J 

• Like 1

necturus

Stunning.

Best of luck. Wishing the best for your family, home, and palms.

D. Morrowii

Good luck!

PalmatierMeg

Hope everything pulls through. Stay safe!

Swolte

Watching the news...  This does not look good.
:(

Stay safe and I hope damage is not too severe!

GottmitAlex

Stay safe.  Prayers went out for all you folks.

Jimhardy

Hope you get your power back on soon ....

EvanM

Hoping everything pulls through! Those are some nice specimens. Do you have any idea when you’ll be able to return home to survey?

Butch

I hope all is well...

Butch

DCA_Palm_Fan

I know you probably do not have power nor internet access right now, but I hope that you and your home and palms are ok.   I watched this very closely and Houma  took eye wall for quite a while.  Granted it was western eye wall, but still, even that side was very bad.    The damage that I am seeing  in areas that took one of the eye walls  was devastating to say the least .      Please let us know when you can.  I'm sure you are probably overwhelmed right now.   

Tropicdoc

I’m back in my old stomping ground in clear lake tx heading to Galveston tomorrow we’ll see what palms are left there. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. No electric gas nor water back home. We will try to go back next weekend. Lots of damage my house is “OK” compared to others

• Like 5

JLM
3 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

I’m back in my old stomping ground in clear lake tx heading to Galveston tomorrow we’ll see what palms are left there. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. No electric gas nor water back home. We will try to go back next weekend. Lots of damage my house is “OK” compared to others

Sounds like you were lucky compared to others, lots of damage throughout Houma and many surrounding areas. All of New Orleans is without power still, and it will likely stay that way for up to a week, possibly longer. Hoping for a quick clean up and recovery process for southeast Louisiana!

philinsydney

What about _Keith? I think he lives in Houma.

Tropicdoc

Keith is 50 miles or so northwest of me in new Iberia they got hardly anything on the dry side of the circulation 

Tropicdoc

Aftermath….

Hard to tell in the pics but all these palm were laid down flat from the wind. Livistona crushed my fence.

I had to stake them up

F81C881A-656D-423D-A6C7-15B911244E35.jpeg

E8BB9FDC-4C39-44D9-AB83-85D0907418F8.jpeg

AE25630B-8E51-4113-9913-12CC0CF6701B.jpeg

64E7F91D-75C8-4D89-860D-EA4114125346.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Allen

Sorry they took a beating.  Looks like they will be okay?

PalmatierMeg

Your palms look in better shape than the pines, trees and bushes around them. Good thing they were lain flat. I think they should recover. You may have stake them upright for a time. When Hurricane Charley hit us in 2004 it thrashed a small Thrinax radiata in the front yard. We 3-way staked it back up, then left it staked for 18 months - through Jeanne and Wilma - so it could root in again. It stands about 15' tall now and laughed at Irma. Charley literally unscrewed one of our lousy mahogany trees right out of the ground, left it with a spiral groove on its trunk.

Palms can be tough. I hope all your prized plantings come back like before.

• Like 2

Joe NC

I agree that your palms will likely recover.

My mule was pushed over mostly flat during Florence here in NC.  I tied it to my old Hyundai for support pre-storm and left the car when we evacuated.  When we got back, I just backed the car up until the palm was standing again.  I used stakes and straps to secure it for a year and a half, but it re-rooted and is a beast today.

I had huge tree fall on and squish a windmill palm, that one did not recover after being staked up...

After, I actually installed a couple of the bigger screw in anchors to add straps to it when storms are forecast (it has always been tippy in high winds even at a small size).  With the straps, it hasn't budged during a storm since.  Also I wasn't able to completely straighten up the mule, but it quickly outgrew the little bit of obvious lean it had. 

Sep. 2018 post storm, as I was in the process of lifting it up (with the sacrificial Hyundai that was left to weather the storm and support my palm)

1853141325_postflo(2).jpg.7557f748e46961520019652c55a355db.jpg

2021, the mule not only survived but is a beast...

20210808_102232.thumb.jpg.7e60bf4475a63d521c3b11718f11b29e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1