IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Before the storm

Tropicdoc

Documenting my priceless palms (butia x parajubaea) to remember them in case they get uprooted by Ida.

F6960DD8-8AC2-450A-84D3-A7E5AE9C9782.jpeg

A70DE190-D668-4415-93E5-5D9364E81108.jpeg

F0555F6F-5074-4B1A-8FE6-F45CD139FB60.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

They look small enough they should do ok if nothing odd happens.  Good luck and be safe.

• Upvote 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Hope everything pulls through. Stay safe!

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Watching the news...  This does not look good.
:(

Stay safe and I hope damage is not too severe!

Stay safe.  Prayers went out for all you folks.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Hoping everything pulls through! Those are some nice specimens. Do you have any idea when you’ll be able to return home to survey?

I know you probably do not have power nor internet access right now, but I hope that you and your home and palms are ok.   I watched this very closely and Houma  took eye wall for quite a while.  Granted it was western eye wall, but still, even that side was very bad.    The damage that I am seeing  in areas that took one of the eye walls  was devastating to say the least .      Please let us know when you can.  I'm sure you are probably overwhelmed right now.   

I’m back in my old stomping ground in clear lake tx heading to Galveston tomorrow we’ll see what palms are left there. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. No electric gas nor water back home. We will try to go back next weekend. Lots of damage my house is “OK” compared to others

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

I’m back in my old stomping ground in clear lake tx heading to Galveston tomorrow we’ll see what palms are left there. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. No electric gas nor water back home. We will try to go back next weekend. Lots of damage my house is “OK” compared to others

Sounds like you were lucky compared to others, lots of damage throughout Houma and many surrounding areas. All of New Orleans is without power still, and it will likely stay that way for up to a week, possibly longer. Hoping for a quick clean up and recovery process for southeast Louisiana!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

What about _Keith? I think he lives in Houma.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Keith is 50 miles or so northwest of me in new Iberia they got hardly anything on the dry side of the circulation 

Aftermath….

Hard to tell in the pics but all these palm were laid down flat from the wind. Livistona crushed my fence.

I had to stake them up

F81C881A-656D-423D-A6C7-15B911244E35.jpeg

E8BB9FDC-4C39-44D9-AB83-85D0907418F8.jpeg

AE25630B-8E51-4113-9913-12CC0CF6701B.jpeg

64E7F91D-75C8-4D89-860D-EA4114125346.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Sorry they took a beating.  Looks like they will be okay?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Your palms look in better shape than the pines, trees and bushes around them. Good thing they were lain flat. I think they should recover. You may have stake them upright for a time. When Hurricane Charley hit us in 2004 it thrashed a small Thrinax radiata in the front yard. We 3-way staked it back up, then left it staked for 18 months - through Jeanne and Wilma - so it could root in again. It stands about 15' tall now and laughed at Irma. Charley literally unscrewed one of our lousy mahogany trees right out of the ground, left it with a spiral groove on its trunk.

Palms can be tough. I hope all your prized plantings come back like before.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I agree that your palms will likely recover.

My mule was pushed over mostly flat during Florence here in NC.  I tied it to my old Hyundai for support pre-storm and left the car when we evacuated.  When we got back, I just backed the car up until the palm was standing again.  I used stakes and straps to secure it for a year and a half, but it re-rooted and is a beast today.

I had huge tree fall on and squish a windmill palm, that one did not recover after being staked up...

After, I actually installed a couple of the bigger screw in anchors to add straps to it when storms are forecast (it has always been tippy in high winds even at a small size).  With the straps, it hasn't budged during a storm since.  Also I wasn't able to completely straighten up the mule, but it quickly outgrew the little bit of obvious lean it had. 

Sep. 2018 post storm, as I was in the process of lifting it up (with the sacrificial Hyundai that was left to weather the storm and support my palm)

1853141325_postflo(2).jpg.7557f748e46961520019652c55a355db.jpg

2021, the mule not only survived but is a beast...

20210808_102232.thumb.jpg.7e60bf4475a63d521c3b11718f11b29e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1