IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seedling Sabals

Fallen Munk

Just sharing a photo of some seedling Sabal.  Prior to the Texas deep freeze, @DallasPalms sent me some seeds from a few local sabals.  I got them in December and they are now at the three strap leaf phase.  Not bad for Oregon grown, but it's been a very hot summer.  I've labeled them palmetto and causiarum just to differentiate them, but that's just a pure guess because they are probably hybrids of some sort.   I can't thank DallasPalms  enough for sending the seeds.  The germination rate was phenomenal compared to seeds I've gotten from other sources. 

sabalseedlings.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk
  • Like 2

How big were the seeds?  Two most common Sabals by far in Texas are mexicana and palmetto with seeds shown below.  Larger mexicana seeds on top and palmetto at bottom.  Sabal causiarum seeds are similar in size to palmetto seeds.

5bbe419ee3b3b_Sabalseeds.jpg.30383ce7ba44d302714be3b952dfa378.jpg

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

12 minutes ago, Fusca said:

How big were the seeds?  Two most common Sabals by far in Texas are mexicana and palmetto with seeds shown below.  Larger mexicana seeds on top and palmetto at bottom.  Sabal causiarum seeds are similar in size to palmetto seeds.

I'd estimate they were the same size difference as in your photo.  So I've probably mislabeled the big seeds as causiarum.  Should probably change it to mexicana, thanks for the input!

• Upvote 1

We discussed it before several months ago that I misidentified and so I sent more seeds, months ago! Im glad they're doing well :) 

I figured out what Causarium is. I think i have seen Causariums around but in peoples yards just uncommon in itself...  hard to imagine they're hardy through uri though Dominguensis I see in 2 or three places and they have come back. I figure they grow close enough to the Causarium habitat but probably closer to palmettos.. they have their own look but the seeds make them easy to identify

One building in downtown has several Dominguensis like trees and all came out quickly except for one and I noticed the other day it also grew some new fronds. I hate that they are not leaf hardy all the way to 2f

Every time I see a huge sabal now I look for ligules

Edited by DallasPalms
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DallasPalms said:

We discussed it before several months ago that I misidentified and so I sent more seeds, months ago! Im glad they're doing well :) 

Actual ID doesn't really matter to me, just hardiness to Oregon weather is most important so I'm trying to grow as many different Sabal as I can.  I got some Emerald Isle and known causiarum from @PalmatierMeg.  Both of those are doing excellent especially the Emerald Isle.  All of my Sabal are strap leaf so they will be wintered indoors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Actual ID doesn't really matter to me, just hardiness to Oregon weather is most important so I'm trying to grow as many different Sabal as I can.  I got some Emerald Isle and known causiarum from @PalmatierMeg.  Both of those are doing excellent especially the Emerald Isle.  All of my Sabal are strap leaf so they will be wintered indoors.

Well I think it’s more of what will thrive in Oregon. Many Sabals will survive here, but we’d like them to actually look like something other than some blades of grass.  Or trunking species looking like minors after 20+ years In the ground. 

Long term confirmed palms are minor and palmetto. By that I mean over 10 years. 

As you know I have many more species planted but all have been in the ground 3 years or less. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chester B said:

As you know I have many more species planted but all have been in the ground 3 years or less. 

The only one I have planted in the ground is Sabal minor that was germinated in 2009.  It's not very big.  It was in a pot until this spring.  Looks much healthier in the ground and putting on some new growth.  The next biggest I have is Sabal causiarum from Portugal seed but just now starting to get their first divided leaves.  I had about 30 of those before the squirrels ripped them all out of their pots one day and left them in the sun.  I potted them up again but only three survived.  And it slowed them down by at least a season's growth.

• Like 1

Fortunately I have no issues with squirrels. 

In the ground I have lots of minors and they grow much quicker than in a pot. Biggest one is throwing fronds close to 3’ and it was a seedling when planted 5 years ago. The McCurtains I planted last spring have tripled in size. 

Some Small palmettos which aren’t much to look at. 

Three causiarum that were planted 1.5 years ago and I think they are working on their roots but growing steadily. 

Two uresana 1.5 years in the ground. Ridiculously slow. 

Two Louisiana’s that have been in over 2 years. 
Moderate growth  

One big Brazoria which grows quickly and has been in at least 3 years now. Working on frond number 4 of the year. It’s much taller than me now. 

I still would like to get a bigger palmetto but space is the issue. 

plus I have some other goodies in pots growing out.   

i prefer fan palms over pinnate ones so Sabals are some of my favorites. If only we could grow Bismarckia’s. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1