IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus experience/ID?/questions Z7a

newtopalmsMD

In may of 2019 I planted what I purchased as a Trachycarpus Nainital.  It's in the foreground (left side) of the first picture (taken Oct 2019) while a T Fortunei, which was smaller and had been in the ground for 2 summers and 3 winters is in the background to the right.   In the second picture, taken today, the T fortunei has gotten much taller than the Trachy in the foreground.   The trachy in the foreground has put out several new fronds each summer but has gained very little height/trunk.  The third picture is a pic of the hostula of the Trachy in the foreground, which is asymmetric (The pointed hump is off center, but the hostula is not twisted).  [The hostula on the fortunei has no pointed hump, just a nice smooth semi-circle.]  What little trunk there is, is fibrous like the fortunei.   Also you can see that, this summer, the hastsa leaves have gotten very close to the trunk  (The nearest hasta stalk is about 14 inches from the Trachy trunk. ) 

So questions:

Is there enough information to tell if the Trachy in the foreground a Nainital (or some other variant)?  Is it likely that the closeness of the hostas has slowed the growth of this Trachy?  In two summers, how far out are the roots of this Trachy likely to have grown?  I was going to move the closest hastas, but thought I'd wait till spring so as not to disturb the Trachy roots before winter.  Is there a source that identifies trachy's (or other palms) by the hostula?

Thanks

Pat

Oct  2019.jpg

Aug 2021.jpg

Nainital.jpg

• Like 1

Cant tell anything from those pics...some Nainital

are very slow at first, usually they are more yellow and have

a seriously bent trunk(SFH trait)but they usually grow out of it in time...usually.

Trachy can grow at different speed depending on the individual palm and in addition to different conditions.  I can't ID

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F