Hellbilly33

Sabal palmetto in north central ark?

Hellbilly33

I bought these palms as seedlings off eBay, “mccurtain” sabal minor, after about 3-4 years in the ground they have now started to get tall and elongate? About 2’ taller then other sabal minors I bought from a guy in North Carolina. These palms have survived very cold north central Arkansas, I cover them when real cold and run Christmas lights on them. I thought everything I had was sabal minor and I only wanted minors along with a few needle palms, I don’t really like trunking palms mainly because they won’t grow here in zone  7A. I hate to cut these down but I planted them too close to my deck and too close together for trunking palms.  Any idea what type of palm these are? Lighter color green compared to bluish green sabal minors from NC. As much time as I’ve put into these it would be insane to have to cut them down! 

image.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

image(1).jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=f

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

EvanM

You haven’t gotten a response yet, my ID skills leave much to be desired, but I’ll try to take a stab at it. I’m referencing this:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FR357

- Does it have fibrous strands on it? If so, S. palmetto.

- Does it have a prominent costa? If so, S. palmetto.

- If it doesn’t have a trunk, is it fruiting/flowering? If it is, S. minor.

If you want to remove it, I would ask someone else on this forum for advice on how to dig it up properly and sell/trade it.

Hellbilly33
9 minutes ago, EvanM said:

You haven’t gotten a response yet, my ID skills leave much to be desired, but I’ll try to take a stab at it. I’m referencing this:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FR357

- Does it have fibrous strands on it? If so, S. palmetto.

- Does it have a prominent costa? If so, S. palmetto.

- If it doesn’t have a trunk, is it fruiting/flowering? If it is, S. minor.

If you want to remove it, I would ask someone else on this forum for advice on how to dig it up properly and sell/trade it.

Yes if you click the pictures then click again and go to the photo bucket website you can see a elongated costa, a fold in the middle of the frond, and fibrous strands.  It looks like they maybe starting a trunk or just a thick bunch of stems tight together. No flowers on any of my palms yet other than my needle palms.  I figured they were just palmetto’s but never seen one up close.  I can’t dig them or won’t, they’re too close to sabal minors that I don’t want to damage. I planted 35 plants thinking half would die, they pretty much all lived for last 3-4 years so they’re too close together now for trunk style.  I’ll leave these with very little or no winter protection and see what lives. Wish they were a hardier variety.  I do have a windmill palm that lives with just a tarp and a heat lamp pointing at the crown on any arctic blast type weather, but I thought they were tougher than sabal palmettos. 

EvanM

I noticed the strands in the pic, but like I said, I’m a total noob at IDing.

Do you have a pic of the yard overall? If I’m remembering correctly, you don’t need to dig up much in the way of roots for S. palmetto, you might still be able to salvage them for sale unless they are really tightly packed in.

Windmills are tougher than trunking palmettos, but Sabal palmetto is still pretty damn hardy.

Allen

You cant dig up a 4 year old planted sabal and get it to live.  Palmetto and hybrids spread out more and the fronds grow taller and they don't bloom.  See my video.  It could be a hybrid and live for many years for you.  I can't see your pics very well.  In 7A at temps down to 0F you won't need to protect minors.   Keep in mind minors can vary in size from 18" to 7'.

Edited by Allen

DCA_Palm_Fan
On 8/27/2021 at 3:27 PM, Hellbilly33 said:

I bought these palms as seedlings off eBay, “mccurtain” sabal minor, after about 3-4 years in the ground they have now started to get tall and elongate? About 2’ taller then other sabal minors I bought from a guy in North Carolina. These palms have survived very cold north central Arkansas, I cover them when real cold and run Christmas lights on them. I thought everything I had was sabal minor and I only wanted minors along with a few needle palms, I don’t really like trunking palms mainly because they won’t grow here in zone  7A. I hate to cut these down but I planted them too close to my deck and too close together for trunking palms.  Any idea what type of palm these are? Lighter color green compared to bluish green sabal minors from NC. As much time as I’ve put into these it would be insane to have to cut them down! 

image.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

image(1).jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=f

Wider photos of the entire plants would be good to see.   

From your photos those look more like young Sabal Palmetto to me than they do Minors.  They could be a hybrid though.   If they do not bloom for you in  the next few years they are more than likely just regular S. Palmetto.   It can be very difficult to tell Minor and Palmetto apart until they start to grow their fan leaves.  

Hellbilly33

I’ll keep uploading pics. Now it’s letting me go directly from my phone. 

13D6814A-46F5-4C2B-B3E3-373A8CD20389.jpeg

570EBABF-9A4F-4E4A-B35E-86CA7EB5B71D.jpeg

• Like 1

Hellbilly33

If they’re hybrids and cold hardy I’ll keep them. I hope they are. I ordered some sabal Birmingham off eBay, hopefully they are cold hardy. 

7B8BBDDE-CC98-47B2-A4F6-50105EA634E0.jpeg

54ECEAAF-F7FB-425D-A919-A4CC4351BCE2.jpeg

• Like 1

Allen

I don't think the taller ones are Mccurtain.  A hybrid maybe.  I see Palmetto traits in the taller ones.  All your minor should have bloom stalks in the next year or so if it is a minor.