IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmetto tree planted this Spring (Charlotte, NC)

charlotte palm guy

I had an adult palmetto brought in from SC a few months ago.  Some of the lower husks have cracked and gotten dry looking.  I water every day.  Normal?  How am I looking?  Any thoughts on if it survives winter?  See pics.  

E51B80BB-5FF3-43D4-A3A2-425288027392.jpeg

565581E0-650B-4788-AB19-1BDEA721485C.jpeg

4D9A5A71-440A-4C01-B07F-51305537332D.jpeg

620E8956-B151-4464-9764-29C2DA09B65D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Looks good to me.  The boots coming off over time is normal.    I think they are marginal at best in Charlotte NC.  Charlotte is a zone 7A.  Sabal Palmetto are found 8A and up.  Id say with protection you could get it to work at least for a time anyway.    

Are the lights you have on it for decoration?    If you intend on using xmas lights to help protect it, you'll need to use incandescent ones. LED ones do not put off nearly enough heat to be effective.     Good luck with it!  I hope  you have success!  Keep us updated!   

10 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Looks good to me.  The boots coming off over time is normal.    I think they are marginal at best in Charlotte NC.  Charlotte is a zone 7A.  Sabal Palmetto are found 8A and up.  Id say with protection you could get it to work at least for a time anyway.    

Are the lights you have on it for decoration?    If you intend on using xmas lights to help protect it, you'll need to use incandescent ones. LED ones do not put off nearly enough heat to be effective.     Good luck with it!  I hope  you have success!  Keep us updated!   

I will try some better lighting for winter.  Should have gotten smaller tree that I can thrown blanket over looking back on things.   Charlotte is more of 7b I have seen and heard.  South Charlotte in particular.  North Charlotte up by the lake maybe more 7a.  I planted a Sago 3 years ago and cover on cold nights.  It’s lush green and very healthy.   The blanket will keep anything alive!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, charlotte palm guy said:

I will try some better lighting for winter.  Should have gotten smaller tree that I can thrown blanket over looking back on things.   Charlotte is more of 7b I have seen and heard.  South Charlotte in particular.  North Charlotte up by the lake maybe more 7a.  I planted a Sago 3 years ago and cover on cold nights.  It’s lush green and very healthy.   The blanket will keep anything alive!

I have heard that about Charlotte.  I know  I have definitely seen mature windmills there.  Where i'm from, Washington D.C. , its a 7b/ 8a.  Palmetto's have been tried there before and once they go unprotected a cold winter zaps them.   I hope you have much success with them there!  I don't think its impossible at all.  Just prob need to protect it in harsh winters. 

2 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Charlotte is about half zone 7b and half 8a.F124ED76-83A0-4461-9456-2F1830D5B1F3.jpeg.db563d246f58a96ff7d42c6f79a440dd.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks great :greenthumb:. I think it has a good chance of survival - I’ve seen plenty of healthy palmettos in Charlotte and Matthews.

Here are some I saw outside a shopping center when passing through Charlotte last month:

C590488B-534A-4BB4-8223-F282237E8312.thumb.jpeg.ce242cccad374e161edb38a0bf74a332.jpeg

0B70E7A2-FCD5-46E9-A36E-C90B8C899065.thumb.jpeg.c3cb32e96f5a2e0e4e430800fcc2134e.jpeg

Nice windmill between these two:

0C4F8756-7D40-4B65-849B-48C3D999C906.thumb.jpeg.d2cf745fc5d2704434766ba268acff02.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Charlotte is about half zone 7b and half 8a.F124ED76-83A0-4461-9456-2F1830D5B1F3.jpeg.db563d246f58a96ff7d42c6f79a440dd.jpeg

Ahhh.  You know I must have looked at an older map.  That map only went to 7B in the area.  After seeing your post I  did more searching and found what you have posted.    That being the case if they are located in the 8A areas I think the chances of it surviving are about as good as they are in VA Beach, which is pretty good!     

Charlotte is 8a and 8b and I live near a lake where I’ve been keeping track of winter temps for 6+ years and all the temps I tracked were in the 9a zone of temps. But it’s safe to say I’m on a little microclimate. Here it will rarely get under 20f during winter so I think zone 7 is kinda pushing it as far as how cold it gets here. But yeah I see palmettos everywhere around here. None are ever protected so you should have great luck with that one. 

My Tifton Hardy  Palmetto survived the 2018 cold snap here in Winston-Salem  , while my  2 HC Palmettos died . It was an 100 year event according to a NC palm nurseryman and expert ,  and was almost as bad as the Texas cold snap last winter  . I had #2  7F's for Lows and 8 days in a row  of Highs that didn't get  to 32F  during that period . Charlotte should be fine with the exception of some kind of crazy 2018 cold event again . Water frequently during warm and hot periods ! 

B)

Will

There are plenty around here in Raleigh, which is a very similar climate to Charlotte. And I’ve never seen anyone protect them during the winter. Not even during 2018. 

18 hours ago, knikfar said:

There are plenty around here in Raleigh, which is a very similar climate to Charlotte. And I’ve never seen anyone protect them during the winter. Not even during 2018. 

Sabal Palmettos?    Post some pics? I'd love to see!    

I've visited Raleigh many many times and spent time looking for palms and all I ever found were minors and mature Windmills.    Of course this was all before about 2012.   Maybe its warmer now?   

2 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Sabal Palmettos?    Post some pics? I'd love to see!    

I've visited Raleigh many many times and spent time looking for palms and all I ever found were minors and mature Windmills.    Of course this was all before about 2012.   Maybe its warmer now?   

If you make it back, visit Jaycee Park, on Wade Ave. There are a variety of large sabals there. You can also check Google Streetview for the following addresses: 4235 Capital Blvd, 1013 S Person St (the palm is large and up against the house. you might have to go back in time to a point where the street trees don't have leaves on them to really see it). I know of other locations but they aren't visible with streetview. But check out the ones I listed. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, knikfar said:

If you make it back, visit Jaycee Park, on Wade Ave. There are a variety of large sabals there. You can also check Google Streetview for the following addresses: 4235 Capital Blvd, 1013 S Person St (the palm is large and up against the house. you might have to go back in time to a point where the street trees don't have leaves on them to really see it). I know of other locations but they aren't visible with streetview. But check out the ones I listed. 

Also check out JC Raulston Arboretum. They have a variety of large sabals there to. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, knikfar said:

Ahhh.  Nice finds.  Yeah, I took a look.    The ones at the first address seem to be very new plantings.  It will be interesting to see if they survive.     The second one looks like its been there a good while, but looks very ratty.    I'd imagine it takes some cold damage every year.  

Having moved to FL in 2017 my opportunities to get to Raleigh are nonexistent.  I have no family there and would only visit from the DC area to see the Capitals play the Hurricanes.   Usually would make a multi day trip out of it so I could go around looking at palms.  LOL     

3 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Ahhh.  Nice finds.  Yeah, I took a look.    The ones at the first address seem to be very new plantings.  It will be interesting to see if they survive.     The second one looks like its been there a good while, but looks very ratty.    I'd imagine it takes some cold damage every year.  

Having moved to FL in 2017 my opportunities to get to Raleigh are nonexistent.  I have no family there and would only visit from the DC area to see the Capitals play the Hurricanes.   Usually would make a multi day trip out of it so I could go around looking at palms.  LOL     

Check this out: http://www.garysnursery.com/RaleighPalms.html