IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal 'blackburniana' update/growth

Dartolution

To anyone interested, my original thread is located HERE.

I thought I would give a separate update on how this palm obtained from Phil at Jungle Music has performed here in its first ~1.5years.

Last year we had a pretty rough blast (compared to the norm) as did most of the country. Our low was 15F and 36 hours below freezing. Since this was the first winter in the ground I threw a layer or two of cheap (green) frost cloth over it with no added heat. There were some strange discoloration to the frond leaf tips but nothing that lasted for any length of time. 

Anyway, here is an update of it in the ground now for almost a year and a half. 

On March 9th 2020 right after planting:

SabalBlackburniana109MAR2020.thumb.jpg.a0c856ab45f434b870a5300f229242c8.jpg

And today August 25th 2021with details:

SabalBlackburniana125AUG2021.thumb.jpg.f2f880216ae076259eb0d88b4c9c6b1b.jpg

SabalBlackburniana225AUG2021.thumb.jpg.7a5473af3f2e5de325c13d5597cd9ad3.jpg

SabalBlackburniana325AUG2021.thumb.JPG.15370af3f8054a29cd6113f2b1f76574.JPG

SabalBlackburniana425AUG2021.thumb.JPG.8bdee142644d099dc204f0634673e7d8.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

That palm is really growing well!

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Looks like similar growth rate for my Sabal Riverside which I also got from @Phil Jungle Music , nice growing

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

Hah, nice work, mine hasn't grown much (about similar time in the ground)! How much do you water it? (That is my problem!). 

Looking good!  Great growth!   There are so many "cultivar" "names" now I cant keep track.  Is this a Minor? or is it a tree Sabal?   

@OC2Texaspalmlvr I've wondered if this is a true blackburniana since late last year. Its still hard to tell, but each new frond seems to become more costapalmate and recurved somewhat. 

@Swolte It is on drip (with 3 adjustable micro emitters around it), which is set to run for 10 mins every other day. However - we have had an extremely wet growing season this year and I have only had to use the drip irrigation a handful of times. 

@DCA_Palm_Fan 'Blackburniana' is a bit of an enigma. Its does form an above ground trunk with time - and is said to be a good grower that resembles a very robust palmetto. The leaf color is a bluegreen in person (not sure if that picks up in photos or not). I've often wondered if its a domingensis or bermudana. Perhaps @PalmatierMeg may have some insight? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

@OC2Texaspalmlvr I've wondered if this is a true blackburniana since late last year. Its still hard to tell, but each new frond seems to become more costapalmate and recurved somewhat. 

@Swolte It is on drip (with 3 adjustable micro emitters around it), which is set to run for 10 mins every other day. However - we have had an extremely wet growing season this year and I have only had to use the drip irrigation a handful of times. 

@DCA_Palm_Fan 'Blackburniana' is a bit of an enigma. Its does form an above ground trunk with time - and is said to be a good grower that resembles a very robust palmetto. The leaf color is a bluegreen in person (not sure if that picks up in photos or not). I've often wondered if its a domingensis or bermudana. Perhaps @PalmatierMeg may have some insight? 

it does seem to be growing much faster and bulkier than my pure palmetto.   it is definitely some palmetto or hybrid as the midrib and curved fronds show.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

10 hours ago, Allen said:

it does seem to be growing much faster and bulkier than my pure palmetto.   it is definitely some palmetto or hybrid as the midrib and curved fronds show.  

I believe @PalmatierMeg claims regular palmetto is the slowest growing sabal in her yard. I don't believe she has S.Birmingham which is the slowest sabal hands down. 

T J 

T J 

Its my understanding that blackburniana can also be a synonym for sabal bermudana. Does anyone reading this have experience with bermudana as a young palms?