IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

7A Sabal yard tour. palmetto, minor, brazoia, birmingham, louisiana, dwarf minor

Allen

Sabal tour.   A quick tour of some Sabal palms in my backyard.  

Side note: You will notice the pure palmetto besides being elongated has pronounced curved fronds.  

Edited by Allen
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Just fantastic. Hard to believe this is in TN and not south GA or north FL. There’s no damage on anything after the winter we had last year :greenthumb:

That's pretty amazing what you've been able to do there in a 7A!  Love it.  looks fantastic! 

I think my favorite Sabal you have is the large minor seen starting at 1:33 into the video.   It's funny, now that I live in a zone 10A and can grow so many things, I still love my cold hardy palms.  Minors are common here in the wild.   I've seen some very large ones.   I think I'm going to get another one and grow it as a pot palm on my patio.  I have zero palms native to FL.  Shame on me. haha.    The last Minor I had I planted in ground on the south east corner of my house in Alexandria Virginia.  That was 2011.  It is still there and going strong. I'm sure there are seedlings all over the area now.   Its a warm 7B there and the microclimate its in is more 8A.   Here is a pic of it i pulled of of google streetview.  

DelRaySabalMinor2021-08-18.png

• Like 2

What do you do to protect the palmettos and windmill palms?  Have you or anyone you know of tried a bismark silver? With protection of course. My windmill I do minimal protection just a loose tarp over the top not air tight or even to the ground. Christmas lights.  The artic blast of 2020 I just got some leaf burn but not even a whole frond was damaged. Never had any other damage before and it grows 12-20” a year.  Also where can I get sabal Louisiana and sabal brazo’s? 

56 minutes ago, Hellbilly33 said:

Also where can I get sabal Louisiana and sabal brazo’s? 

You're going to have to dig a little. I'd start with plant delight's nursery, they had brazoriensis last I checked. Also ebay or Etsy. 

2 hours ago, Hellbilly33 said:

What do you do to protect the palmettos and windmill palms?  Have you or anyone you know of tried a bismark silver? With protection of course. My windmill I do minimal protection just a loose tarp over the top not air tight or even to the ground. Christmas lights.  The artic blast of 2020 I just got some leaf burn but not even a whole frond was damaged. Never had any other damage before and it grows 12-20” a year.  Also where can I get sabal Louisiana and sabal brazo’s? 

Etsy lists Louisiana and brazoria for sale right now.  Plant delights has them as well.  Not trying a Bismark anytime soon.  The palmetto doesn't need any protection when small unless temps go really low under 5F and I might just throw a pile of mulch or leaves over middle.  Windmill palms get protected with lights and frost cloth.  I have a "Palm Protection Method Photos Master Thread" thread you can look up.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

When you say sabal minors need no protection do you also mean like 1-2year old seedlings need none in zone 7?  And for palmettos, only need protection at 5f? That’s interesting, my palmettos are about 3-4’ tall and we don’t get much more than a couple nights to 7 nights below 10f each winter if at all. I may just leave everything on it’s own this winter besides xmass lights on the windmill and maybe frost cloth if it goes into 15f and below with cold days or tarp if freezing rain.  But it would be nice to leave 1-3 year old sabal minor variety seedlings out planted with just a pile of leaves or straw on them for extreme cold vs leaving them in containers for a season or two then planting in zone 7

Edited by Hellbilly33