IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A neighbor's Trachycarpus

Fallen Munk

One of the bigger Trachycarpus in my neighborhood.  Leaves seem stiffer than my fortunei.  Could it be waggie?

trachy2.jpg

• Like 9

On 8/26/2021 at 2:11 AM, Jimhardy said:

Reminds me of the "Bulgarian" Trachy.

Could be.  I know it's been there a long time.  30+ years to my recollection.

• Like 1

A neighbor here had several Trachys... one had the most stiff fronds and another had the most floppy... one day I looked up and the floppy one straightened... he let me get seeds from them I got three different ones.  I bought seeds also from an ebayer in Washington I think alot of the Trachys there have stiff fronds. Unfortunately less than 15 out of 1,300 seeds popped...  I have a whole tray of the stiff ones that I need to pot maybe 250 seedlings.  The flopper had small seeds and the stiff had takil looking leaves but probably all nursery hybrids. I think the neighbor probably intended to have uniformity in something like 20 trachys in an arrangement but they all varied.. the one I thought maybe waggy had huge seeds then I bought some known waggy seeds and they were only have a thick... to further confusion, the third I picked in his yard were in between sized seeds!

Could be alot of things. Sometimes the soil/location/stressors can make a different tree also

My favorite are the stiff fronds that turn a deep yellow at the ends i suspect they are Bulgarian types.

Edited by DallasPalms

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 7:12 PM, DallasPalms said:

A neighbor here had several Trachys... one had the most stiff fronds and another had the most floppy... one day I looked up and the floppy one straightened... he let me get seeds from them I got three different ones.  I bought seeds also from an ebayer in Washington I think alot of the Trachys there have stiff fronds. Unfortunately less than 15 out of 1,300 seeds popped...  I have a whole tray of the stiff ones that I need to pot maybe 250 seedlings.  The flopper had small seeds and the stiff had takil looking leaves but probably all nursery hybrids. I think the neighbor probably intended to have uniformity in something like 20 trachys in an arrangement but they all varied.. the one I thought maybe waggy had huge seeds then I bought some known waggy seeds and they were only have a thick... to further confusion, the third I picked in his yard were in between sized seeds!

Could be alot of things. Sometimes the soil/location/stressors can make a different tree also

My favorite are the stiff fronds that turn a deep yellow at the ends i suspect they are Bulgarian types.

My oldest Trachy was planted under a pine tree...mainly for protection. It grew well in mostly shade. It’s fronds were large and floppy...

6BBA4716-2004-4E4A-A7B2-87D264F6DCF1.thumb.jpeg.8a180820610263d1d30c618751ea48be.jpeg

The pine tree was just way too messy so we cut it down and just like that, the Trachy was in full sun. It didn’t take long before the fronds shrank a bit and really stiffened up...

C16F2C1E-C0DD-47F9-A275-8ECF36C14285.thumb.jpeg.f50a9a11684a47067618d621c6d29eab.jpeg

And here it is today...

image.thumb.jpg.4ede275f0075fea46ca29325f215d5cd.jpg

2014-2021...once it was in full sun, it exploded with growth and the difference in frond structure from shade to sun is quite the comparison for sure. Though it looked great under the pine tree as a somewhat floppy palm with its large deep greed fronds, I think it looks much better like this...and the pine’s days were numbered anyway as it was becoming obvious that it was going to eventually interfere with the new Trachy interloper...especially since it was dropping sap all over those beautiful fronds...:D

• Upvote 1

The Trachys I mentioned were all in open sun... all around 15 feet tall, some a little shorter some a little taller... I dont think there was any sunlight obstruction... since we are fairly windy here the floppy one looked messy so I lean towards the waggy bulgarian types

I suspect the floppy one straightened out after a good soaking last year..they were slot floppies than yours but maybe it was the abundance of leaves on full crowns + wind... perhaps a watering/rain schedule or more developed root systems play a role in the floppy leaf Trachys? 

I need to take a drive back by to see if they made it. They all defoliated due to uri and last I saw there was not any new growth :/

the previous owner was nice and allowed me to collect seeds so I've got hundreds :D fingers crossed for hardiness I'm going to pass by here shortly 

Edited by DallasPalms

Sometimes with these Trachys I wonder if you are looking at (seeds from) mountain grown

specimens, they adapt so fast...usually the the fatter trunked ones have stiff leaves

and the more slender trunked ones(can) look a little floppy in the leaf department.

I went back by there and counted fast there were a dozen Trachys and around half started growing again. One month or more ago I saw nothing happening... of the three I collected seeds from, only one has come out and its doing really well... it was the shorter one with fatter 'fingers' and stiffer leaves.  It also had very large seeds... a very nice darker green color leaves that appear to be more firm

There was another that was the tallest with stiff leaves which had medium sized seeds. I could only get fallen seeds from her. The floppy one had tiny seeds that dried on the stalk hanging low. They all popped good numbers... the cold hardier one happens to look like a Mountain Trachy maybe a Waggy or a cross very sharp nice color...more hairy like a Wag 

They were all exceptional compared to most Dallas Trachys. Someone else mentioned that they dont do as well because of our soil maybe they watered and fertilized / mineralized  well... they also allowed the crowns to grow full.  

I dont see why ppl cut them.  After I collected seeds they put the house up for sale and had the bottom half of the crowns chopped off i didnt care for the look. 

Some of the similar ones came back probably males too I didnt see seeds on many. I'm wondering if males are faster than females. Lafs

22 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

Sometimes with these Trachys I wonder if you are looking at (seeds from) mountain grown

specimens, they adapt so fast...usually the the fatter trunked ones have stiff leaves

and the more slender trunked ones(can) look a little floppy in the leaf department.

Edited by DallasPalms