IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops size in the PNW

BeyondTheGarden

I haven't seen many Chamaerops growing up here.  The few that I know of are wider than they are tall, maybe 6-8'  tall, and a generally wider than that.  

Does anyone know the typical overall size and form for Chamaerops humilis grown in the PNW?  My garden is getting tight, but I have some spaces that still need development.  I'm trying to figure out if Chamaerops will eventually outgrow my desired locations or not.  

Thanks. 

Agree with you...they mostly seem wider than tall...maybe nobody cuts off the side shoots ....the 2 I have ...are 5 trunkers...6 years in ground and about 7ft wide bye 6 tall.

16297583311274077483005458189363.jpg

• Like 3

Cool, I like them in that form, almost like an overgrown R hystrix in overall shape.  

How big were they when they went into the ground? 

• 4 weeks later...

Theres a green one a few blocks away from me that has a nice one. 

Centralia has some nice chamearops in front of a few Mexican food places, some have several feet of bare trunk and all are singles I think.  the name of the street is Harrison ave, its the main drag with all the restaurants heading into town they are on the right side of the street. 

Edited by Paradise Found

It’s pretty rare to get a solitary trunking one. You need to trim the suckers religiously if you want them to grow up instead of out. I’ve never seen any around that are treelike aside from ones that are for sale. 

I just shot a video of the Chamaerops clump on Harrison in Centralia a few weeks ago.  The Mexican restaurant is gone/demolished.  I haven't seen any singles though.  

When they sucker out wider than they are tall, they remind me of needle palms.  I guess they're closely related, I wish it was possible to hybridize the two.  

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I saw a single down there. It had no long hair and it was in one of the places maybe the car wash. Next time I am down I will look again. It will be awhile maybe a few months before I need to go there. 

They do have a lot of trachy's down there and even in the country side you'll see some from time to time.  In the mean time I will take a pic of one big chammy in my neighborhood in the next few days. 

Edited by Paradise Found

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

In the mean time I will take a pic of one big chammy in my neighborhood in the next few days. 

here is the one in my neighborhood.  The lady that lives here is not very nice so I had to take the pic in a hurry and the lighting was bad.  But you can see how big it is. 

IMG-1444.JPG

IMG-1442.JPG

• Like 2

Here in NOVA, zone 7a, I have the green variety with a main trunk of about 2’...height and width are about the same:

image.thumb.jpg.890af059e5cab60115b65a85a01860ad.jpg

But I’ve left the pups in case a polar invasion kills the parent plant and somehow the offspring are saved (more easily protected) though I’d much prefer a single trunking palm...in my zone, the more backup the better:

image.thumb.jpg.562ffb6a973f2546c180f1523979aa60.jpg

In any event, it’s been a great cold hardy palm, having been in the ground since 2014...won’t take it to the cold hardy limit this winter, but will let it experience a little more winter than usual...Will open this winter shroud a bit more...I only close it on the coldest of nights as it’s situation is good, direct sun in the winter...

3B67F7E6-B8B1-4CF3-9608-5BFB706A43CF.thumb.jpeg.386ef81e67b10080f2a048b343aeaead.jpeg

Bye the way...that McCurtain next to the purple yard-art flower, lower left...growing like a weed in our wet spring/summer/supplemental watering routine...it’s officially an adult this summer...

Hey, Jessie they were 1 ft tall...the one in the pic ,only had 1 side shoot that was small ...when I bought it..i planted it in Sandy loam...year 3 it took off ..and it gets considerable reflective heat!

From seed they are extremely variable probably since the second seed crop requires a male pollinator.  I'm not sure how much form varies within the same types...

there is a post somewhere discussing the general types. I think PalmatierMeg made some comments about the variations.

There seems to be a large form, a medium and a small type... I know Vulcano has much smaller seeds than another tall one I came across. I've also seen a smallish form in front of a restaurant with small fruits it was fairly narrow with a small crown... 

The Argentea type looks more like a bush while the "macro" type can grow 15 feet tall maybe 4-6 feet wide, and alot of hybrids

Greg I used to only want single trunking palms but I really appreciate palms in clusters now.  They just look more full.  Plus like you said, redundancy improves survivability. 

Hutch I've got one on year 2 and its creeping, hopefully it will pick up next year. 

Dallas palms, what do you mean the second seed crop?

Actually I cant remember now if its first or second I'm not even 100% sure if its accurate but I read that some types (female plants) fruit twice in a year... one of them possibly producing male flowers capable to self pollinate while the other requires a different pollinator