IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I think I spotted a Tahina?

Keys6505

I'm out in FL this week checking out potential areas to relocate to.  I'm focusing on the St. Pete/Sarasota/Clearwater general vacinity and kind of liked the location and lighter congestion of Palmetto (don't know if it's good or not, just first impression from the highway) so I just picked some random side streets to drive up and down.  I was trying to take notice of the houses without getting too sidetracked by palm watching but I had to stop and back up when I saw this one.  Is this a Tahina?  I've never seen one in person before.  It's massive.

20210822_142824.jpg

20210822_142818.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Looks like a Corypha to me though I could very well be wrong. Not as rare as a Tahina but far from common anywhere in Florida.

Excellent find either way! Any unexpected palm sighting makes for a better day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I would also guess Corypha, maybe Umbraculifera.  Tahina doesn't have that Sabal-like "curl" to the center of the leaf.  At least I don't think it does... :D

yeah not a tahina, probably a corypha of some kind.  I m technically in the palmetto district but both parrish(east 5 miles) and especially ellenton(south 2 miles) are more than 2x as close to my place as downtown palmetto(!10 miles).  I'd stay away from downtown palmetto for crime reasons.  Yes its less congested here, and yet the tampa airport is still only 40-45 mins.  I would consider the distance from water when it comes to growing palms.  I am 1 mile east of 75 where it joins 275, 2-3 miles further east there are no older royals.  Look for large, old royals.  If there are very few, crownshafts can get killed there in winter.  I am on the edge of where royals have grown long term(20+ years old), further east the old ones disappear.  As you go south look at 41, if you are not further than 2-3 miles east of 41, you can grow crownshafted palms long term.  Closer to the water is warmer of course.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

...this is prolly the biggest tahina in this zone:

20210825_153739.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

On 8/22/2021 at 5:05 PM, Keys6505 said:

I'm out in FL this week checking out potential areas to relocate to.  I'm focusing on the St. Pete/Sarasota/Clearwater general vacinity and kind of liked the location and lighter congestion of Palmetto (don't know if it's good or not, just first impression from the highway) so I just picked some random side streets to drive up and down.  I was trying to take notice of the houses without getting too sidetracked by palm watching but I had to stop and back up when I saw this one.  Is this a Tahina?  I've never seen one in person before.  It's massive.

20210822_142824.jpg

20210822_142818.jpg

I'm almost certain that is a  Corypha Umbraculifera.  There area several (some very tall ones) planted at the Gizella Kopsick palmetum in  downtown St. Pete / North Shore Park.

As for moving,  Personally Id recommend southern Pinellas / St. Pete area, but I am biased as I live here and LOVE it.   I've been to Palmetto several times, and its OK.  Were i ever to live in Manatee county I would probably choose Bradenton / West Bradenton myself.   The traffic in St. Pete is not terrible, but it does pick up a good bit during snow bird season.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

As for moving,  Personally Id recommend southern Pinellas / St. Pete area, but I am biased as I live here and LOVE it.   I've been to Palmetto several times, and its OK.  Were i ever to live in Manatee county I would probably choose Bradenton / West Bradenton myself.   The traffic in St. Pete is not terrible, but it does pick up a good bit during snow bird season.  

Agree, having lived in both areas, S. Pinellas Co. / St. Pete area was the best..  Bradenton / W. Bradenton wasn't bad, just much more to do in St. Pete / better access to Tampa if you head over there.. More forward thinking too. 

• Like 1

If I could have my house in pinellas, Im not sure how much it would cost.  I dont live in Palmetto per se its a weird shaped district.  I can walk to 75/275 junction in 10 mins.  Land is cheaper here and houses are much newer.  Pinellas is getting very expensive and taxes are also up.  Finally the hidden cost of being in a flood zone (especially after IRMA) will give you an extra cost in your insurance that could easily be 500/month.   Stay out of the flood zone and you can pay 600-700 a year for money owners.  I know someone who pays> 8k a year insurance on anna maria for a 1500sf house.   Most houses in pinellas that are below say 500k are old construction with low ceilings and limited window space.  But if I had no cost consideration I would go for something as new as possible in SW pinellas with a big lot.  I also can access tampa by 75 or 275 so if one jams up I can take the other.  Pinellas gets to a crawl on weekends in summer, reminds me of california in some places.  In general around here I plan against traffic which goes into tampa in the morning and out in the afternoon of the work day.  At those times the traffic is also quite bad if your going in the wrong direction.  Building continues here and traffic is notably up over the last 5 years even.  As pop denstiy goes up no public transit brings visions of california bay area traffic, 40 minutes to go 9 miles.  As it is I can be in downtown st pete in 15-20 minutes for dinner, that is close enough to the cultural attractions for me.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank