AspiringDana

Replacing Oak with Foxtail or other Palm Help

AspiringDana
On 11/23/2021 at 7:33 PM, Merlyn said:

Then a neighbor gave me a 6' tall Pygmy Date, and with the second shovel in the ground I hit it AGAIN!!!  :o  The problem is that the pipe went under the driveway at a weird angle. I have now marked it with a couple of flags and random rocks.

OMG! That's quite a story! Thank you so much for sharing it. It makes me not feel so awful about 1. Paying the damn stump grinder who most likely knew he hit that pipe and 2. For having the HOA's irrigation service take several hours to fix the pipe yesterday. What a mess, but yours must have been incredibly frustrating for you!  

I will also mark the pipe! Good idea! Thanks again @Merlyn!

• Like 1

AspiringDana
On 11/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, D Palm said:

I use fertilome root stimulator for new plantings, then after about 3-4 months proper granular fertilizer. The liquid root stimulator will help reduce transplant shock and encourage root development.

@D Palm Thanks for that tip! Much apprecaited!

AspiringDana
On 11/23/2021 at 10:44 PM, D Palm said:

Irrigation systems are a luxury in Florida. When I was stationed in So Cal it is a necessity if you want something besides desertscapee. If it was me I would cap it. I enjoy watering the yard with a garden hose during dry periods.

@D Palm Thats a HARD NO from me on the "always hand water"!! I'm just not that gal. :winkie:

AspiringDana
On 11/22/2021 at 7:46 AM, petiole10 said:

I have bought some juvenile Foxtails here in Portugal to hopefully be happy with the southern european climate.

@petiole10 Best of luck with the new garden! I hear great things about Portugal.

I'm glad you got something out of this thread as there are so many helpful Palm aficionados out there!

I am so grateful. :shaka-2: