IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia update

NBTX11

Here is an update of my palms. I lost two very large Robusta to freeze. The last of which I had cut down about a week ago. I just had this Filifera trimmed up. It looks great. 

9970BC08-868A-4EF0-B1F2-B1B3B4FF3CB3.jpeg

• Like 11

Here are two Filifera seedlings and a Robusta seedling I planted as replacements for the two Robusta I lost. I grew all from seed. They are bigger than they appear in photo. 

203FA459-E259-4884-8EB2-64F7D0ED13D3.jpeg

D1DB68A5-6681-41A4-9EB5-C18E4489AECF.jpeg

5956D1D7-6DE4-44B2-A270-8DBBF14D0508.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Here are two Filifera seedlings and a Robusta seedling I planted as replacements for the two Robusta I lost. I grew all from seed. They are bigger than they appear in photo. 

203FA459-E259-4884-8EB2-64F7D0ED13D3.jpeg

D1DB68A5-6681-41A4-9EB5-C18E4489AECF.jpeg

5956D1D7-6DE4-44B2-A270-8DBBF14D0508.jpeg

Awesome.. they are all looking incredible, congrats!  Are the seedlings the eBay ones?  I picked up six of them and all of mine are in various stages, but they're doing good putting out smaller palmate leaves.  Can't wait to see them in a few years, but yours are an inspiration!

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

13 minutes ago, tlow said:

Awesome.. they are all looking incredible, congrats!  Are the seedlings the eBay ones?  I picked up six of them and all of mine are in various stages, but they're doing good putting out smaller palmate leaves.  Can't wait to see them in a few years, but yours are an inspiration!

No. The Robusta seedling was off one of my Robusta that died. It had produced seeds in years past, so I just scooped some off my yard. The two Filifera I got seeds from a large local Filifera big freeze survivor. The parent tree is about 100 years old. 

• Like 2

And lastly, here is the stump of a 40 plus foot tall Robusta I had cut down. I gave it til August and it was not recovering. It was a beautiful tree. Majestic. It went from 1 foot tall to 40 foot tall in 16 years and was becoming a true skyduster. It’s baby plant is alive in my yard in one of the seedlings above. 

1040B18B-37E1-4A44-A2FB-F64BD8FB0033.jpeg

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 1

Gonna make this offer to any forum members, if anyone is local to San Antonio/New Braunfels and wants a Filifera seedling, I am going to give a couple away to a good home, I can't fit them all in my yard.  PM me if interested.  They are pure Filifera or as close as you can get to it around here.  You come get.  See the pictures above for what they look like.  

On 8/21/2021 at 10:40 PM, NBTX11 said:

Gonna make this offer to any forum members, if anyone is local to San Antonio/New Braunfels and wants a Filifera seedling, I am going to give a couple away to a good home, I can't fit them all in my yard.  PM me if interested.  They are pure Filifera or as close as you can get to it around here.  You come get.  See the pictures above for what they look like.  

In the event you want to ship one up to North Texas I'm a taker!

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

On 8/21/2021 at 10:40 PM, NBTX11 said:

I will probably be in New Braunfels this weekend so I may take you up on that offer if I remember and have enough time 

• Upvote 1