IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

We had rats, mice, squirrels, bunnies. Now we have snakes...

rprimbs

We have snakes..:wacko:  They have done a really good job of eliminating our rat, mice, squirrel, and bunny, problem!  But I am still going to get a cat or two -- to keep the snakes away from the house!

Last Thursday afternoon my wife went out to get some clothes that she had hanging on the patio outside.  I heard her scream, and I ran to the door.  I opened it and there in front of me we a surprisingly good sized rattle snake coiled up on the doorstep, and rattling at me.  I think my wife stepped on it, but luckily she didn't get bitten.  She insisted that I kill it since it was hanging out around the house and we have little kids.

So I got a shovel.  In the past I have just chopped the poor little snakes and that was it.  But this one was bigger and different..  I think it is best to sneak up and chop the snake, but I wasn't being terribly bright..  It saw me coming and started striking in my direction.  Boy can those things move fast!  Then it scooted forward -- and almost got me!  Man that was too close.  I ran, and it headed over into a corner.  Then I came back and chopped it. 

Apparently some of these "Southern Pacific" rattlesnakes have a venom that contains a neurotoxin similar to a cobra's so they are something to watch out for.

snake.jpg

Looks like you have a new belt.;)

If you are going to get a cat, try to find a female that has had kittens. The hormonal changes seem to make them better hunters and home defenders. Chickens eat snakes too.

You'll want to secure bird baths or feeders to avoid creating bird massacres.

Edited by amh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rprimbs said:

We have snakes..:wacko:  They have done a really good job of eliminating our rat, mice, squirrel, and bunny, problem!  But I am still going to get a cat or two -- to keep the snakes away from the house!

Last Thursday afternoon my wife went out to get some clothes that she had hanging on the patio outside.  I heard her scream, and I ran to the door.  I opened it and there in front of me we a surprisingly good sized rattle snake coiled up on the doorstep, and rattling at me.  I think my wife stepped on it, but luckily she didn't get bitten.  She insisted that I kill it since it was hanging out around the house and we have little kids.

So I got a shovel.  In the past I have just chopped the poor little snakes and that was it.  But this one was bigger and different..  I think it is best to sneak up and chop the snake, but I wasn't being terribly bright..  It saw me coming and started striking in my direction.  Boy can those things move fast!  Then it scooted forward -- and almost got me!  Man that was too close.  I ran, and it headed over into a corner.  Then I came back and chopped it. 

Apparently some of these "Southern Pacific" rattlesnakes have a venom that contains a neurotoxin similar to a cobra's so they are something to watch out for.

snake.jpg

If already out there, would've offered to come by and relocated it for you.. Regardless, having to dispatch a snake like this can be a tough choice.  Definitely don't want something that big near the house, you / your family ( including any fur babies you may have ) ..even if they're helping w/ the rodents.  Kingsnakes would do the same job, and be a formidable rattlesnake barrier. Gopher snakes  are also good to have around.. though they will rattle their tail in leaves when they feel threatened, sounding like a rattler.

The one to watch out for ( ..be glad it doesn't occur in of S.D. County.. ) is the Mojave or " Green " Rattlesnake.. Their Venom is extremely dangerous, possessing both Neuro and Hemo-toxic compounds ..and while both an " A" and " B " type have been sorted out, no way to tell which one you might be dealing with, and individuals can vary in the %'age of A vs. B toxin ..or vise versa.

The one rattler i want to see/ photograph once out there? Red Diamondback.. Beautiful and commanding respect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

If already out there, would've offered to come by and relocated it for you.. Regardless, having to dispatch a snake like this can be a tough choice.  Definitely don't want something that big near the house, you / your family ( including any fur babies you may have ) ..even if they're helping w/ the rodents.  Kingsnakes would do the same job, and be a formidable rattlesnake barrier. Gopher snakes  are also good to have around.. though they will rattle their tail in leaves when they feel threatened, sounding like a rattler.

The one to watch out for ( ..be glad it doesn't occur in of S.D. County.. ) is the Mojave or " Green " Rattlesnake.. Their Venom is extremely dangerous, possessing both Neuro and Hemo-toxic compounds ..and while both an " A" and " B " type have been sorted out, no way to tell which one you might be dealing with, and individuals can vary in the %'age of A vs. B toxin ..or vise versa.

The one rattler i want to see/ photograph once out there? Red Diamondback.. Beautiful and commanding respect.

Yeah have gopher snakes.  I love gopher snakes!  Yeah they buzz their tail but there is problem telling them apart from a rattlesnake!

I have seen the red diamondback.  I saw one once at the landfill in Santee.  It was under the wheels of an end dump that a guy was working on.  He didn't kill it he just moved it a good ways away with a shovel.  I hear they are protected.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rprimbs said:

Yeah have gopher snakes.  I love gopher snakes!  Yeah they buzz their tail but there is problem telling them apart from a rattlesnake!

I have seen the red diamondback.  I saw one once at the landfill in Santee.  It was under the wheels of an end dump that a guy was working on.  He didn't kill it he just moved it a good ways away with a shovel.  I hear they are protected.

Interesting, did not realize some places considered Red Diamondbacks a protected species..  Not that anyone should handle them w/ out knowing how to but they're considered pretty mild tempered compared w/ some other species.

W/ Gopher snakes, < or any other non- venomous sp. w/ similar color pattern > easiest way to tell it isn't a rattler ( besides the lack of rattle, if the end of the tail is visible ) is the shape of the head.. Even from a distance the thick, diamond or arrow- shaped head of a rattler is quite obvious compared to look -alikes. Closer up ( if you're able to get closer.. ) Pupils on them ( rattlers ) are vertical, like a Cat's eye..

Only non- venomous snakes out there w/ vertical pupils are the local Night and Lyre Snake sp. and both are tiny compare to either a Rattler or Gophers.

I'll tell ya, while i may not deal w/ them, anyone who lives closer to open desert here or in Tucson usually has at least one Western Diamondback / occasional Mojave showing up in their yard in spring or fall story to tell.. News of anyone suffering a serious bite is pretty rare though surprisingly.  That said, our Bark Scorpions are more concerning since they're much more likely to get into a house, and far more numerous where they have built up populations. Unless allergic, a single sting or two likely wouldn't kill anyone, but is extremely painful. Got nailed on the tip of a finger by a tiny one and it felt like someone were electrocuting half my hand for several hours.

• Like 2