Sign in to follow this  
knikfar

Can I relocate my Sabal Minors

knikfar

Until recently, I had a stormwater issue in my backyard. About a year ago, I built a raingarden to help catch some of the excess water from running off into my neighbors house. It's shown in the attached photo. Knowing sabal minors would do well there, I planted three of them. However, the stormwater issue has now been fixed and my rain garden is never likely to fill with water again. So I'd LOVE to place my sabal minors in a place that's more prominant in my yard. But everything I've read says they HATE being moved and most die in the process. Any one have any advice? 

Sabal Minors.jpg

amh

How large were they when you planted them? If its only been about a year, you should be able to transplant them, but wait for others with more experience to chime in.

• Like 1

knikfar
Just now, amh said:

How large were they when you planted them? If its only been about a year, you should be able to transplant them, but wait for others with more experience to chime in.

They've probably each pushed out three fronds since I planted them. So they're only slightly bigger now. 

amh
1 minute ago, knikfar said:

They've probably each pushed out three fronds since I planted them. So they're only slightly bigger now. 

The roots shouldn't have grown too much. I'm fairly new, so you'll want more opinions, but you might want to wait until spring.

• Like 1

DCA_Palm_Fan

If you must do it, id be very careful and get all the roots.  Dig wide around and deep down.  This will give you the best chance at survival.  That they are only a year in that spot may be to your favor.   S. Minor are usually very difficult to transplant and often don't make it.    That's why I discourage people from digging them out  of the ground in the wild.   They CAN survive, but more often than not they don't.  

• Like 2

Allen

I tried to move a bigger one than you and it looked fine for a few months but the reality was it was damaged and died over 6 months.  So it's always risky moving them but you might pull it off if you dig out farther than when you planted them.  

• Like 1

knikfar

I moved them. They’re all in vole baskets. Some roots had made their way through that but not terrible far. So it wasn’t terrible difficult to take them out. And I didn’t see many broken or cut roots