Sign in to follow this  
Tracy

Encephalartos "plumosa"

Tracy

Ok... there is no Encephalartos plumosa, but if they had named this cycad based on appearance as opposed to naming it after someone, I think its pretty obvious that it should have been named "plumosa".  Anyone else growing Encephalartos turneri that can either reinforce or refute my opinion?  My male has remained solitary thus far without producing any basal suckers.

No offense to Ian Turner this cycads namesake, I'm sure it was a well deserved naming.

20210817-BH3I5186.jpg

20210817-BH3I5187.jpg

• Like 2

Merlyn

I have a Turneri that is supposed to be the "Boila" form.  The ID isn't guaranteed, it's entirely possible that this one is a similar central African species in the Manikensis alliance.  It is super twisty when growing out a new flush.  This is only the second flush after I planted it last fall, and the old fronds were mostly burned off by frost and 28F on Christmas night 2020.  It has a ~9 headed Dioon Edule behind it.  I have a similar "Turneri" in the front yard that took no damage during the same frost, but the front yard is ~3F warmer.

230353748_P1080643Turneri.thumb.JPG.661fcc203a68ff8432cad903bcd98510.JPG

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      So I acquired this Encephalartos hybrid as a 1 or 2 leaf seedling in a band size container (3" x 9") several years ago.  It has proven to be a good grower.  I acquired it as a hybrid of an E blue arenarius x latifrons.  I have always wondered about how blue it is because I don't recall many 1st generation hybrids of green species with blue actually being such an intense blue.  Now as a caudex is beginning to appear, I noticed the orange colored ring collars (see photos below).  When I see that color on a collar of a blue cycad, I immediately think of E lehmannii.  The leaflets are much narrower than what I would expect if there were any latifrons  in the mix.  So perhaps some sort of lehmanii x horridus or lehmanii x trispinosis?  I might consider lehmanii and the other purported parent latifrons.
      So am I reading too much into that collar color?  Since I have been thinking about this for a while I wanted to see if anyone else got one of these and has had similar thoughts.  I'm happy with the plant whatever it turns out to be, just based on structure and color, but I am curious about it's parentage.  At some point I'll have additional clues when it gets to coning size but that's quite a few flushes and years away.

• ximena_alvarez
      By ximena_alvarez
      Hi all!

I’m in search of any footage of anything cycad related for a documentary over cycads. Would love to have anything you might have, especially of any plants in situ, their beauty, anatomy, etc.
      All locations and identifying attributes will be censored for the plants’ protection. Give me a quick DM if you’re able to help out. Let me know if you have any questions and I’d be happy to answer.

Thanks in advance!
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      Two of my top of the list plants in the garden are in close proximity and this spring it has been a race between them and I know what I want to happen.  Above we have the Dypsis prestoniana pushing out an ever larger flower spathe which will eventually open and rain down seeds.  Below is one of my favorite Encephalartos in the garden which has been pushing out a flush.  I want the flush hardened off before the flower spathe opens in the middle of the night and drops the sheath on it.  I think I'm ok on the seeds raining down much later, as the flush will most certainly be hardened off by then.  I've been tracking the pair for a while now, with 3 photos roughly a week apart of the cycad flush and the inflo shot of the Dypsis prestoniana showing overhead photographed last night... which will win?
      Ever have a pair of favorites competing with one potentially dropping something on the other?

• Jubaea_James760
      By Jubaea_James760
      Availability list & Prices
      *PALMS*
      Serenoa Repens (blue)  $15
      Acoelorrhaphe Wrightii  $15
      Sabal Causiarum  $7
      Sabal Maritima   $7
      Sabal Etonia  $5
      Sabal Minor Emerald Island Giant  $5
      Livistona Alfredii  $7
      *CYCAS*
      Cycas Guizhouensis  $25
      *ENCEPHALARTOS *
      Enc. Lehmannii  $25
      Enc. Trispinosus  $25
      Enc. Longifolius (blue)  $25
      Enc. Longifolius x Princeps  $30
      Enc. Eugene-Maraisii  $40
      Enc. Msinganus  $20
      *SHIPPING * No international shipping. Lower 48 only.  Usps priority shipping. Shipping starts off @ $10.00.  & varies depending on amount of plants & which ones. ( example,  I can fit a ton of Sabals, Blue Encephalartos, Livistona in 1 box bare root which will be $10.00) Cycas Guizhouensis are bigger & heavier so multiples of those will be more shipping.  PM me for more details & questions. 
      Note: I can only shipping Thursday's & Fridays. 

Serenoa Repens blue (Greenhouse grown, acclimate accordingly)

Here's mine.. I planted one out 2 years ago & is getting a bit more silvery blue.

Acoelorrhaphe Wrightii (Greenhouse grown, acclimate accordingly )

Sabal Causiarum ( 4-5 leaves) 

Sabal Maritima ( 3-5 leaves)

Sabal Etonia ( 2 leaves)

Sabal minor Emerald Island Giant ( 2 leaves)

Livistona Alfredii (2 leaves)

Cycas Guizhouensis- These are HUGE! Busting out of the liners. These need to be potted up to 5 gallon pots or planted. Acclimate them before planting in sun. (Greenhouse grown)

Planted straight to a 5 gallon pot. 2" caudex on this one!

Encephalartos Msinganus 
      Encephalartos Longifolius (Blue), Lehmannii, Trispinosus, & Longifolius( Blue) x Princeps are all 2-3 leaves

Encephalartos Eugene-Maraisii (1leafer)

• Mr.Piriyakul
      By Mr.Piriyakul
      Hello People,
      I posted this already on palms in pots but some people directed me here for more help. I just want to know if My En Lehmannii will say blue in South Florida. If the rain is to much can I just being them in and out side as needed to keep the blue? These are my questions. Plus I have this Dioon Spinulosa pup with roots. The leaves on it are from a old flush before I bought it (so I am told), Will new flush come in July/ Juneish? I know I wait but I am curious and new to cycads.  Thanks everyone