IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

17" yes or no

Palmlover_78

Hey Guys, My Christmas Palm Seedlings are 11 months old. Out of 10 seedlings, Four are quite tall. The fourth frond on them is 17" high from the soil line. Is this a normal height for a Christmas Palm seedling at 11 months? Is it lanky or gonna be a big tree?

Thanks a lot :D

17in.JPG

Hey palmlover, I'm no expert but I'm going to say right now they look like they might become a bit lanky. I have grown A. Merrilli palms from seeds for a few years now. I grow mine outside in direct sun and they are more compact than that. Are yours grown indoors? Your palms look stretched like my palm seedlings that are grown in heavy shade. 

4 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

Hey palmlover, I'm no expert but I'm going to say right now they look like they might become a bit lanky. I have grown A. Merrilli palms from seeds for a few years now. I grow mine outside in direct sun and they are more compact than that. Are yours grown indoors? Your palms look stretched like my palm seedlings that are grown in heavy shade. 

Hi, Yes they are indoors, and under bright grow lights, I am thinking they weren't low enough.. I really don't know

Yes very stretched due to lack of light. I’ve had palms that have never seen daylight and get so tall and stretched they fall over and need stakes 

Concur with others.  They are very etiolated (stretched out) due to low light.  These are FULL SUN palms, and there is almost no way to reproduce that indoors, without a pretty expensive lighting set up.