xoRudy

Green Bismarckia year difference

xoRudy

After a long hunt for a Green Bismarckia last year, finally found one and bought it from @Joe palma. I planted it in the ground on August of 2020. I was a bit concerned for it due to the health state of it, location of hole, time of planting and the climate here in Maricopa, Arizona. The winters touch the 20s and the summers touch the 118s. After using shaders for the months of August, September, and October (2020). Then wrapping it with a blanket on the cold winter days, I can now say that it’s grabbed and now growing. The growth of the palm over this year hasn’t been too crazy but the overal health, color, and look of the palm is amazing. I also haven’t used shaders this summer and it hasn’t skipped a beat.

August 2020 (Top Photo)

August 2021 (Bottom Photo) 

7A4B8E96-185C-4275-A795-13480BA0D39D.jpeg

264902A2-53EB-4FD0-B9C6-4BDD024BEE36.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

KDubU

Looks really nice! Had not seen a green one before and good growth already.

• Like 1

D. Morrowii

It looks happy to me!

• Like 1

Reyes Vargas

What is the difference in the two?  Is one more cold hardy over the other one?  Or is it just the color?  It's looking good by the way.

• Like 1

Teegurr
1 hour ago, Reyes Vargas said:

What is the difference in the two?  Is one more cold hardy over the other one?  Or is it just the color?  It's looking good by the way.

Green Bizzies' leaves are less cold hardy (9b/10a) than silver Bizzies' leaves (warm 9a), but the bud hardiness is the same.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Valhallalla

Does anybody else remember when green Bismarkia was common and the silver form was the exception? I rarely see green ones anymore. I drive by these green Bismarks on Tamiami Trail fairly often and they always catch my eye with their greenness. There's one behind the Camaro swamp buggy and another much bigger one showing beyond the chickee hut. There are several more along the fence.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7619701,-80.7256942,3a,75y,335.51h,89.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbgCqXrm-f4cpGJabnHi8pA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 1

xoRudy
6 hours ago, Valhallalla said:

Does anybody else remember when green Bismarkia was common and the silver form was the exception? I rarely see green ones anymore. I drive by these green Bismarks on Tamiami Trail fairly often and they always catch my eye with their greenness. There's one behind the Camaro swamp buggy and another much bigger one showing beyond the chickee hut. There are several more along the fence.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7619701,-80.7256942,3a,75y,335.51h,89.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbgCqXrm-f4cpGJabnHi8pA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I think I’m too young to remember when the silver ones were the uncommon type, What year was this? Also, the one behind the swamp buggy is definitely a Bismarckia, I can see the green in it, I think I can even see the silver in it as well. Lastly, the palms along the fence are Bismarck’s? They look like Sabals to me, maybe it’s just the photos.