RyManUtah

Sabal minor (inquiry)

RyManUtah

Anybody have experience growing any Sabal minor varieties in full inland sun? 

Curious..  have had success with small Sabal palmetto, which isn’t an understory species. I’ve had mixed results with Sabal miamiensis, which is an understory species. 

Chester B
9 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

Curious..  have had success with small Sabal palmetto, which isn’t an understory species. I’ve had mixed results with Sabal miamiensis, which is an understory species. 

I’m not nearly as hot as you but this summer has been a scorcher and with that heat dome where we were up to 115f they were unphased. I think as long as you give them water they are really tough. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

amh
4 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

I haven't had a problems with Sabal minor ( including Sabal louisiana and Sabal brazoriensis ) and sun exposure, no matter how hot it gets, but the eastern hill country is a lot more humid than Utah.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Swolte

I think I have almost every Sabal minor variety discussed on this forum and, although they grow quite slow, they are all growing with copious amounts of neglect here in Central Texas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RyManUtah

Thank you all for the input. To give an idea, I want something to go in this hot spot. Sages, trachycarpus and cacti tend to burn or air in this location.

I don’t necessarily want a garden of pallets, but they work nicely for emergency shade and are free. 

I am wanting an understory palm to not compete with the T. terscheckkii arms, when they yield. I’m thinking S. minor will fit the bill, nicely. 

1DE8F141-714E-4EAE-90B9-D1A399EFA673.jpeg.94ca2c2c6318257fb4575c2499264e24.jpeg

9791C64F-0D6F-4B57-8D88-3F1C900F2A23.jpeg.da6393e9c6e2499c6372d5fd41056007.jpeg

• Like 3

Jubaea_James760

I have a few Sabal minor varieties in full sun & they're doing fine. Blountstown Dwarf,  Chipola Dwarf, Tamaulipas, Miamiensis have been in the ground 2+ years now.

Recently I planted a Cherokee, Louisiana (might get to big for that area) but I gave them a little shade since it's their first year.

A Brahea Decumbens or Brahea Moorei would potentially work there. Have you looked into them? You might be able to pull one off in St. G.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RyManUtah
14 hours ago, Jubaea_James760 said:

Brahea Decumbens or Brahea Moorei would potentially work there. Have you looked into them? You might be able to pull one off in St. G.

I have considered them. I am trying to mostly zone push out back, so I don’t have glow on the dark coverings in the front yard during really bad arctic blasts. I am still considering them out back, when I finalize some plans there.  

• Like 1

Dartolution

Ryan, I would think water would be a more concerning issue, but you have drip irrigation right?
If minor is kept deeply moist I would think it may handle full sun. They like heat and water I know.

Thats a shot in the dark coming from my end of the country though. 

• Upvote 1

Palm Man

Sabal minors grow very well in full sun in the Southeast. 

• Upvote 1

SeanK

I'm confused. How is it that desert plants don't do well?

RyManUtah
5 hours ago, SeanK said:

I'm confused. How is it that desert plants don't do well?

Some do - some don’t. Size has a lot to do with it I think.  Smaller plants under 5g like to fry to death, or drown to death trying to prevent the frying. 

Being 8b by less than a degree, many also tend to freeze to death. My concern with some of the more tender Brahea is that this spot is also one of my coldest. Id like something that isn’t perpetually in recovery mode every couple years here. This is been an excessively hot summer regionally also.
it is what it is. 

RyManUtah
6 hours ago, Dartolution said:

They like heat and water I know.

That I can do. There is a drip emitter a few feet away. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Dartolution
17 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Some do - some don’t. Size has a lot to do with it I think.  Smaller plants under 5g like to fry to death, or drown to death trying to prevent the frying. 

Being 8b by less than a degree, many also tend to freeze to death. My concern with some of the more tender Brahea is that this spot is also one of my coldest. Id like something that isn’t perpetually in recovery mode every couple years here. This is been an excessively hot summer regionally also.
it is what it is. 

This is interesting. 

How often do you guys experiences freezes of any kind during winter? 

RyManUtah
5 hours ago, Dartolution said:

This is interesting. 

How often do you guys experiences freezes of any kind during winter? 

Ballpark - a good handful. We have winter for several weeks. Typically Thanksgiving (USA) ish to Valentine’s Day ish. It’s not always below freezing at night.. we have, in total, a few weeks of “9a” nights. It gets below 22F am overnight  during cold fronts. Typically it will be in the high 20s/low 30s overnight during winter.  Daytime is much warmer. All year. 

• Like 1